X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[b][i]<font color="aa00aa"><fo

Breton Island Explosion,

Friday evening Chad, Nolan, and I headed out of Breton Sound Marina to wade fish the islands again. The weather was breezy and overcast with a falling tide. Upon arriving, we caught trout spastically using freelined Reaction Bayou Chub minnows and DOA on clicking corks. The trout, however, weren’t the only thing obliging, sharks played tug-a-war with our stringers late evening, leaving just heads. That night we tried fishing with the lights from our boat but the tide was dead and the fishing was too—except for a few more sharks taking our lures. Next morning it was a speckled trout fishing explosion. Chad, who had never wade fished before and up to this point had not caught a trout, was now into the action. All of us were pulling trout in one after the other and stringing them onto our stringers. Various other boats were also fishing the area but not wade fishing. They too were catching fish but not as fast as us. Soon we had our limit and left them biting. We were back at the launch before 10:00 AM.

Good fishin’,
    Jerry LaBella
    www.jerrylabella.com

The motherlode

Comment

[b]<font color="ff0000"><font

Breton Sound,

High winds, overcast skies, and tons of discouragement at the launch didn’t stop us. That’s what happened Friday afternoon when Mike and I decided to head to Breton Sound to wade fish speckled trout. The attendant at Breton Sound marina said the best guide anglers only came in with one fish the weather was so bad. It almost worked— as we had left the launch after the attendant topped it off with a show of their new wind gauge— reading 18 mph and gusting. Well, we only went about 15 miles before we decided to turn around and go back to the launch. When we made it to the MRGO, the water was choppy and getting chopper as we headed into the sound. Seas were about 4 feet at most but we made it to one part of Breton Island. The water was clean but the fishing was dead. Only 2 trout caught before we decided to get some early shuteye. Next morning we slipped into the water before daybreak and the winds were still a bit high. Rollers were entering the area we normally like to fish, but we found safer harbor and some large, hunger specks. Other boats entered the area and only one other group ventured into the water to wade fish. Casting Bayou Chub minnows freelined, I was catch a steady flurry of fat trout as my companion was landing a few himself. The other anglers were migrating toward us as they observed the steady action but had little success upon infiltrating. When the fishing slowed for us, we moved to another island section where alligator-sized specks were being caught by other anglers fishing from their boats. We landed anchor not far away and also started catching some of the largest speckled trout I’ve seen in many years. Alligator-sized trout would best describe them. The tide slowed around 10:00 am and so did the fishing. We had around 37 big trout equal to an average 2- limit count in weight.

Good fishin’,
      Jerry LaBella
      Mike is all smiles with this 6 pound plus speck

Comment

[b]<font face="courier new&#44

Hopedale Inside Report,

Rainy weather and bad tide did not stop the specks, redfish, and flounders from biting. Things weren’t looking too good for Mike and I as we left early this morning and arrived while it was still dark to launch the boat in Hopedale. After riding about 15 minutes from the launch, we were into a wild speckled trout bite. While a good number were throw-back, we had a consistent flow of trout coming into the boat. The trout had a hard time resisting our glow DOA shrimps and Bayou Chub minnow lures fished both freelined and under a cork. Shrimp were jumping out of the water trying to escape the jaws of hungry trout only to be met by dive bombing birds fetching them up. It was raining 360 degrees around us and as far as the eye could see, but the fish were pretty steady on the bite. We did get a little wet, but it didn’t slow us from fishing. Redfish were also busy along the marsh-grass shoreline in the area, quick to hit the avocado/red flick/chart. tail Bayou Chub minnows fished freelined. Around noon we headed in with 40 specks, 3 bull redfish, and one flounder.

Good fishi’,
        Jerry LaBella

Mike shows off a speckled trout, flounder and bull redfish

Comment

[b][i]<font color="0000ff"><fo

Hopedale Inside Report

Saturday morning Anthony and I headed to Pip’s Place to get an early position on our favorite spot. When we arrived while still dark, there was one boat already there. We got into a short flurry of hungry specks as soon as the sun broke through. We fished corks with DOA and other combinations of tandem rigs like Bayou Chub minnows and sparkle beetles and at times freeline. Jumping shrimp were not as active as last week but there was a good tide movement. We jumped around a lot, picking up fish just about every place and threw back our share of under sized ones and at time were catching two at the time. We ended the day with 41 speckled trout. The weather was good with light winds and sunny skies.

Good fishin’,
          Jerry LaBella

Comment

Hopedale inside Report,

Mik

Hopedale inside Report,

Mike and I left out of Pip’s Place under early morning darkness to get an early jump on any crowds fishing our area. We arrived at our fishing spot and despite the forecast found calm winds and hungry mosquitoes. The tide was on the high side and the trout were hungry also. As the sun light broke, the trout bit increased; Mike and I were pulling in trout as fast as we could throw out. The fish were taking Bayou Cub minnows in avocado/red flick/chart tail under a clicking popping cork 3 ft. down. The water was not real clean but that did not matter. We limited out and threw back our share of under sized fish.

Good fishin’,
            Jerry LaBella

Comment

INSIDE MARSH EXPLOSION HOPEDALE

I‘ll be short and brief: After David found out that Mike and I limited out Saturday, he wanted to go today in his boat. We did, launching in the dark of early morning from Pip’s Place. The weather was breezy and cool and we were onto a good trout bite as the sun broke over the horizon. Berkley Gulps, DOA, and Chub minnows in avocado/red flick/chart. tail under clicking corks fished 2-3 ft down-- freelined at times. The water was a bit dirty but that didn’t slow the bite. We moved to various other spots, fishing dive-bombing birds, and limited out. Plenty of shrimp in the marsh with the trout hot on their trail.

Good fishin’,
              Jerry LaBella

Comment

[b]<font color="ff0000">Hopeda

Hopedale Report

Early this morning Nolan and I crept out under the early morning darkness to fish various inside areas of Hopedale. The weather was perfect and the tide was high upon arrival. Fishing despite good tide movement was very slow all day. We fished with the usual DOA and Bayou Chub minnows and Berkley Gulps. Total fish caught may have been around 35 but were only able to keep 19. Shrimp were not as active as in previous trips.
                Wild Life & Fisheries were on the prowl, checking fish sizes, limits, and licenses.

Good fishin’,
                Jerry

Comment

[b]<font color="0000ff"><font

Hopedale Inside Report

Today Anthony and I headed out to the inside marsh of Hopedale and got on our spot before sunrise. Fishing was slow to start but progressively got better as the day went on. The weather and tide was good. Using rattle corks and DOA, Chub minnows, and Berkley shrimp and curly tailed grub, we managed to catch fish at almost every spot we tried. At times we caught specks freelined but mostly on corks. One very nice flounder was landed by me in the twin pipeline opening and birds were sporadically dive bombing in various locations including Lake Robin. White trout were also in the marsh areas and we caught a few of them in deep canals leading into Lake Robin. We headed back to the launch a little after noon but left trout biting. We had a nice ice chest of fish but did not limit out. As the waters start to cool down fishing should get much better.

Good fishin’,
                  Jerry

Comment

Hopedale Deep Inside Marsh Report

Saturday morning Mickey, Arthur, and I headed out to Hopedale despite the forecast of high winds. When we arrived under the cover of early morning darkness, the tide was very high and the air was cool. Many boats were seen making their way to various areas. Our first stop was very slow fishing as was the case with other boats around use. But as the sun shined through, we spotted dive-bombing birds nearby and headed toward them. We were catching trout one after the other and as the birds dismissed we found other areas with the repeat of the same thing. As usual, there were throw-backs. After things slowed down because of very high winds, we headed deep into no-man’s-land. This is an area were few other boats go due to the shallow water ponds, canals, and lagoons. We got onto our favorite spot and were back catching trout again. Most of the fish were caught on 4” white Berkley Gulps in shrimp and curly-tailed minnow under corks. I lost a big redfish and had one throw-back redfish and black drum. We managed to keep 40 trout and some of the trout from the deep marsh area were greenish-yellow in color from the brackish conditions. On the way back in, we discovered a new spot not far from Pip’s Place launch where we observed 3 anglers in a flatboat catching reds up close to the marsh grass line off of a small lagoon. It appeared they were using spinner baits. We made a mental note of the spot and plan to come back and try it.

Good fishin’,
                    Jerry

Comment

HOPEDALE INSIDE BAYOU SLAM

Saturday I decide to head out and explore new areas for fall fishing by myself. I started in Four Horse Lake and caught a few fish mostly small under feeding birds. The wind was brisk but the water was decent with a small amount of tide movement. I planned to try a bayou that is much traveled between two well know lakes. It was here I observed some dive bombing bird feeding over a marked oyster reef. It didn’t take me long to figure out what the trout wanted and when I did, they were coming aboard in good size using a clicking/popping cork 3 ft. down and white 4 inch Berkely shrimp with ¼ oz. screw jig heads to keep them on. This is all they wanted, and I limited out. This spot was about 5 feet in depth and I will be trying it again as the weather cools. Some boats passed by in route to various other areas. These lures work better that I would have ever imagined, and ever time I use them, I’m never disappointed.

Good fisin’,
                      Jerry

Comment

[b]<font color="808080"><font

Hopedale Inside Report

Today Dale, Nolan and I left out of Pip’s Place and headed to the Lake Robin area where the winds were starting to blow. The weather was cold but warmed a bit as the sun came up. We fished Bayou Robin but fishing was very slow until we made it into Lake Ameda where we found many birds feeding on bait and hungry trout under them. We fished with clicking corks and DOA and Bayou Chub minnows, making a decent catch of trout. After we had enough of the high winds, we headed to the pipeline and picked up one bull red, that Dale caught, and a few more specks. We ended the day early as the winds increased and the tide stopped around noon. We had caught about 40 specks and one white trout and one bull red.

Good fishin’,
                        Jerry LaBella
                        Dale in his glory!

Comment

[b]<font color="0077aa"><font

<font color="0077aa"><font size="+2">Louisiana Marsh Grand Slam</font></font>

Today I left out of Breton Sound Marina by myself to fish various areas of the Louisiana Marsh. Many boats launched today under very nice weather conditions. I made a few stops near a pass in Stump Lagoon and landed several nice specs and white trout. I fished only plastic in Berkley Gulp white 4” shrimp and Bayou Chub minnows and beetles under a clicking cork. I moved to another nearby lagoon that I had never fished before and finished off my limit of speckled trout. I tried for some reds but only had a few strikes on gold spoon but was not able to hook any. I was back at the launch at 10:00 AM. The tide was falling all day and the water was clean. Haven’t fished that areas in 28 years. I couldn’t really tell if the fishing was great in that area or it was because of a good tide movement. Anyway, I’ll be back.

Good fishin’,
                          Jerry LaBella

Comment

[b]&lt;font color=&quot;ff0000&quot;&gt;&lt;font

Minutes From The Launch/ Hopedale Blitz

Today Anthony, Peter, and I left out of Pips’s Place and headed minutes from the launch, made a couple of early-morning spots but didn’t see the fish bite explosions until an hour after sunrise when the water warmed from the early-morning cold snap. The tide was falling out until almost noon when the bite stopped. Fishing single clear sparkle beetles, &#188; oz. white head under plastic rattle corks in 3 feet of water- the trout went wild. We accidentally landed into some nice reds in a nearby cove as we trolled the waters we fished near shore; and to top off the ice chest I landed 2 largemouth bass in another spot I’ve been checking out on every trip. Fishing is great at present and can only get better with the cold weather. We caught our limit of specks and 5 redfish and was at home in Kenner at quarter to 1:00 PM.

Good fishin’,
                            Jerry LaBella
                            This team of veteran anglers put a hurting on the fish today

Comment

[b][i]&lt;font color=&quot;0000ff&quot;&gt;&lt;fo

Hopedale Thanksgiving Day

While most people were home slicing turkey and passing cranberry sauce, we were out passing the landing net to each other and slicing bait. Trout action started fast and ended just like it started in Hopedale near the boat launch. Arthur, David, and I got into to some large trout using clicking and rattling corks fished with DOA and clear sparkle beetles in Hopedale Lagoon. Later we made the run to Lake Robin and caught a mess of small, throw-back trout near the mouth of Bayou Robin. The day was very nice with light winds and cool weather. The tide however got down to a mean low by mid morning and the trout bite slowed. We ended the day with about 40 nice trout as pictured here. Berkley Gulps also caught fish but the clear sparkle beetle put a real hurting on them.

Good fishin’,
                              Jerry LaBella
                              Arthur is besides himself with these beauties

Comment

[b]&lt;font color=&quot;ff0000&quot;&gt;&lt;font

Hopedale GQ Knock Out
                                Great tide, great location, and great fishermen. Today, GQ model Josh, and his young, 13-year-old friend Cullen- who fished saltwater for the first time today- and I, left out of Pip’s Place under the early morning darkness to fish a newly discovered location not far from the launch of Pip’s Place. After anchoring down and at sunrise the fish bite was on. Not the regular throw-back trout, but large, yellow-mouth trout were obliging. This location is in a bayou with oyster shells along the bank side and an intersecting canal on the way to a very popular local large lake. Fishing rattle plastic corks and clicking corks with Bayou Chub minnows in avocado, red/flake/chart tail and sparkle beetles and DOA shrimp, the trout were in a hungry feeding frenzy. At times, no cork was needed and we were on them 2 at the time. Many boats were out on the water today, making it a real challenge for some to find fish. But the fish were hungry and plentiful for those knowing where to look and what tactics to use. As mentioned earlier, young Cullen was fishing saltwater for the first time, but he indeed caught the biggest fish— a redfish around 9 pounds on Berkley Gulp shrimp (3 inch, new penny). After the fish bite stalled around 9:00 AM at this location, we made a quick run to Lake Ameda. Here several boats were out drift fishing and those that knew the right tactic for catching were all catching fish. Secret number #1, don’t anchor! That’s all I’ll say. We limited out and was back home in Kenner at 11:45 AM, loaded down with our limit of 75 speckled trout. Fishing is so good right now that I’ve witnessed kayak anglers on the water, making their way to the hot fishing spots armed with paddles and rod and reels.

Good fishin’,
                                Jerry LaBella

These anglers are very happy with the close-to-the-launch fishing action today. (L) GQ Model Josh; (R) Cullen with his first big saltwater fish

Comment

&lt;font color=&quot;0000ff&quot;&gt;&lt;font siz

HOPEDALE INSIDE NEAR-LAUNCH REPORT

After waiting 5 day for the wind to straighten out, today I went out alone to fish one of my .35-gallon spots (running a 40 hp Yamaha 4 stroke on a 16 ft. flat boat and that's all the fuel we burned last trip out) and nothing was happening. So I headed to Lake Ameda, and the fish were there. It started slow but as the water warmed the trout got active on the clear DOA shrimp fished 3 ft. under a plastic rattle cork. I limited out and caught one bull redfish that went 38 pounds- the kind we catch out at SW Pass, Venice, on crab. Fishing is great close to the launch but you have to try different baits to catch fish. Each week it seems to be a different lure. Weather was fine and the water was clean with light winds and falling morning tide. Water temp today was 47 degrees. I'm working on finding limits of trout every trip out without breaking 2 gallons of fuel and so far it's been a success.

Good fishin’,
                                  Jerry LaBella

Comment

[b][i]&lt;u&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;0000ff&quot;&gt;

Hopedale Near-Launch Redfish Grand Slam
                                    Today I left out of Pip’s Place with the weather unusually cold and breezy to fish Lake Ameda. I headed to a shoreline where the redfish were going wild. In 20 minutes I limited out on redfish in the 10 pound range all caught on Berkley Gulp 3 inch new penny and DOA clear, fished under a plastic rattle cork. I sent a friend to the same spot and he and two others limited out and started to catch and release them for fun. I made many drifts across the lake and caught 15 very nice speckled trout but the trip was cut short when I hooked myself in the ear and had to cut the jig hook to get it out. I’ve extracted hooks out of other anglers before, but this was the first for me- having been fishing for nearly 45 years. Since the ear was frozen from the cold weather, I hardly felt a thing during whole surgery. The water was very clean and the water temperature was 42 degrees. The trout didn’t become active until around 9:00 AM.

Good fishin’,
                                    Jerry LaBella

Comment

NEW YEAR’S Hopedale Slam,

T

NEW YEAR’S Hopedale Slam,

This morning while most people were recuperating from a New Year’s hangover, we were out hanging over the gunnels pulling speckled trout aboard. Under breezy and cold weather, Mickey and I headed out of Pip’s Place to Lake Ameda. Fishing started slow but picked up as the sun warmed the water. We found that drifting across the lake was best using clicking and rattling corks with DOA’s fished 3 feet down. When the winds picked up, we headed to another area where the fish were larger and more plentiful. We finished off our limit and headed in around quarter to one. There weren’t as many boats as I expected today but the weather was very cooperative. Water was clean and the tide was falling all morning. No reds but we tried.

Mickey smiles as he displays this nice ice chest full of trout.

Good fishin’,
                                      Jerry LaBella

Comment

HOPEDALE FOG TROUT BLITZ,

W

HOPEDALE FOG TROUT BLITZ,

While most anglers got lost in the fog and struggled to find their favorite spots, Arthur and I were back at the launch early with limits of trout. Today was a very busy one at the Hopedale boat launches. There must have been 15 boats that launched at Pip’s Place and it was a mad scramble in the fog for most of them. What gave us the edge was my map plotter which allowed us to go anywhere we wanted while most didn’t know if they were coming or going. Some boats returned early because of low visibility and rain. Drift fishing was the key again today using Berkley Gulp white 3 inch shrimp fished 3 ft. down under rattle and clicking corks. We were back this morning before the mad rush. Tide was falling all morning and the winds were very light with clear water.

Arthur displays an ice chest full of fog trout

Good fishin’,
                                        Jerry LaBella

Comment

HOPEDALE SAINT’S PLAYOFF TROUT

HOPEDALE SAINT’S PLAYOFF TROUT BLITZ,

While most people were out tailgating and burning hot dogs on an open pit, Nolan and I were out burning the trout in an open lagoon. Today the fishing started slow in Lake Ameda, under very nice weather conditions and a rollercoaster tide: falling early morning and reaching its low around 9:00 am and then coming in soon after. The trout in Lake Ameda were mostly undersized but were obliging on clear sparkle beetles, Bayou Chub minnows in avocado red/flake/chart. tail, and Saltwater Assassin in opening night— rigged with ¼ oz. jig heads under plastic rattling corks 3 ft. down. After we had enough of throw-backs, we headed to another nearby area where the trout were much larger and hungrier. It didn’t take long to reach our limit, drifting and casting while running into flurries of trout. Only one other boat was seen in the area with few others passing through. The wind picked up around 11:30 am, but we were well on our way back to the launch.

Good fishin’,
                                          Jerry LaBella
                                          This is Nolan&#39;s face:

Comment

Working...
                                          X