X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopedale Bad-Weather Trout

Hopedale Bad-Weather Trout

Today Anthony and I left out of Pip’s Place under windy, cold, and overcast conditions. The only thing that looked promising was the tide—falling all morning until 1:00 pm. We started in Grand Lagoon but fishing was worst than slow when we began. After running around and wasting time for a few hours, we headed where we should of started— Lake Ameda, where the fishing was at least encouraging. We drifted fished the lake under increasing winds and with much patients and we limited out on speckled trout. Best lures were chart. sparkle beetle and avocado/red flake/chart tail Bayou Chubs minnows (1/4 oz. heads) all fished 3 ft. under plastic rattle corks and weighted egg corks. Normally we don’t fish into the afternoon but we had to under such conditions. Water clarity was unusually clear. Some areas of the lake produced larger trout than other areas as we did catch our share of undersized fish.

Good fishin’,
    Jerry LaBella

<font color="0000ff">Anthony displays this nice catch of trout</font>

Comment

Hopedale Cold-Weather Trout Re

Hopedale Cold-Weather Trout Report,

Today veteran freshwater angler Don and I left out of Pips’s Place under very cold and windy conditions to fish a nearby lake. Fishing started very slow but began to pick up after the sun was up for a couple of hours. The lake area was not producing early that morning so we headed to a nearby canal leading into a lagoon where we saw 3 boats fishing slow-sink MirrOlures in red/white catching nice speckled trout. Don put the first few specks in the boat caught on chart. sparkle beetles and they were beauties. The water temp. was 47 degrees and the clarity was fair. After the canal action slowed, we moved to our favorite lake and after several drifts across it, we figured out what was producing best: Bayou Chub minnows in avocado red/flick/chart. tail fished with rattle and egg corks 3 ft. down on 1/8 oz. screw jig heads. Most of the trout were nice sized with few throw-backs. We limited out and were back at the launch before noon. Very few boats out on the water today and all were drift fishing and many were tight-lining.

Good fishin’,
      Jerry LaBella
      jerrylabella.com

<font color="0000ff">Veteran freshwater angler Don displays a couple of nice specks.</font>

Comment

Hopedale COLD, Wind-Blown, Low

Hopedale COLD, Wind-Blown, Low-Tide Trout Blitz,

Despite high winds, cold weather, low tide, and early morning overcast skies, Henry and I headed out of Hopedale to fish our one-quart-of-fuel lake. Many boats were out today and the biggest challenge to overcome was finding clean water against a mean low northern wind-blown tide. After locating favorable water clarity and test drifting different lures, we figured out what they wanted most: DOA/glow/&#188; oz. with 1/6 oz. split shot 12 inches above the lure fished 3 ft. down under torpedo Cajun rattle corks (red/green) on 6 ft length fluorocarbon line leader, tied to the spool’s 6/20 braided line. Close runner up was the same rig fished with 1/8 oz. screw jig head with 3 inch avocado/red flick/chart. tail Reaction Bayou Chub minnow. Key tactic was to reel in very, very slowly (only enough to keep the line a bit tight) then pop the cork with wrist action only after a count of 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, pop! A must was to drift broadside to the wind (for a slow drift pattern) and cast with the wind as far as you could throw. Water temp was up to 58 degrees due to several days of warm weather before last night’s cold front had a chance to cool the water back down. The trout were very nice sized. We were back at the launch with our 50 trout limit before 11:00 am, leaving them biting, while most boats were still fishing frantically. Many boats were anchored which is a no no this time of year if you want to be successful in limiting out.

Good fishin’,
        Jerry LaBella
        Jerrylabella.com

This is Henry's face

Comment

Hopedale Mardi Gras Mombo Trou

Hopedale Mardi Gras Mombo Trout Grand Slam,

While most people were out catching doubloons and yelling “throw me something mister,” the trout were out doing the same thing in our favorite lake and we were obliging them. Today Nolan and I left out of Pip’s Place under very calm and overcast weather and headed to “One-Pint-Of-Fuel Lake.” Tide movement was very minimal and it was out early this morning but not as bad as last week’s trip. We found clean water, and we obliged the trout with our throws: glow DOA and chart. sparkle beetles under torpedo Cajun rattle corks fished 3 ft. down with a 1/16 oz. split-shot weight 12 inches above the lure. Drifting once again was the key and there were many boats out on the water and most were catching fish. Some took longer than others to try and meet their limits, but we were back at the launch before the mad rush by 11:00 am with our limit of 50 trout and left them biting. Fishing despite very little tide movement was impressive, but I think the 58 degree warmer water made the difference. The trout are plentiful and easy to catch for most in this particular area.

Good fishin,’
          Jerry LaBella
          Jerrylabella.com

This is Nolan&#39;s Face:

Comment

Hopedale One-Quart-Of-Fuel Lak

Hopedale One-Quart-Of-Fuel Lake Slam,

Today Don and I left out of Pip’s Place to fish the lake mentioned above. The weather early this morning was cool but calm and the tide was on the low side. We fished hard today and caught over our limit but there were over 20 throw-back trout. Best bait was the glow DOA under Cajun torpedo rattle corks. We missed our limit by a few trout but the weather before the incoming front was better than usual. Many boats out this morning and very few were catching fish. Tide started to come in around 1:00 PM and the water became very clean. We had a good trip today but the lake seems to be tapering off, as far as productivity goes, as the weather warms and the fish start moving out along the coast.

Good fishin’,
            Jerry LaBella
            Jerrylabella.com
            {smile} Don is very happy with these specks

Comment

Venice Trout 65-Degree Temp Ou

Venice Trout 65-Degree Temp Outer Banks Explosion,

While most of the tons of boats launching out of Venice Marina headed to the Midnight Lumps where they were bumping into one another, Josh and I headed in the opposite direction to the “outer banks” where no one else was seen. Saturday around noon under very nice spring weather conditions we launched the boat and within 40 minutes we were into trout and red fish so thick that we limited out within a matter of an hour in a half, catching fish almost on every cast and sometime two at the time. These were nice trout and reds with no throw-backs and pictures don’t tell how pretty these fish really are. Josh struggled to lift these stringers up off the floor, complaining to snap the picture quickly due to the overload. We left the fish biting and abandoned the idea to sleep overnight and headed back in since fog this time of year hampers the area in early morning when we normally return. Wade fishing was the ticket and the cool 65-degree water was not a problem when the fishing is this hot.

Good fishin’,
              Jerry LaBella
              Jerrylabella.com

<font color="ff0000">Josh struggles to lift this motherlode off the floor</font>

Comment

Hopedale Dinner &amp; Suntan T

Hopedale Dinner &amp; Suntan Trip,

Today my daughter Tammy and son-in-law Tony, from Kansas, headed out for an inside fishing trip knowing the speckled trout had already moved on the outside areas of Black Bay and Breton Sound. But seeing we weren’t going overnight to fish the “Outer Banks,” I left the big boat home and made the inside trip anyway. I knew it was a gamble, but we did catch enough trout for dinner, and all of us caught a suntan. Fishing is very slow inside and many boats were still fishing the area, but very few I observed catching anything. Tide was incoming this morning and the wind picked up a bit around midmorning- southeasterly. Best bait was DOA glow under Cajun rattle corks and Berkley Gulps/white/ 3 inch. The water was 71 degrees and the fish bite was sporadic early morning, tapering off to nothing as the day went on. We came in around 11:00 AM to beat the mad rush and called it a day: enough fish for “dinner and suntan.”

Good fishin’,
                Jerrylabella.com

<font color="aa00aa"><font face="arial&#44;helvetica"><font size="+1">My daughter Tammy smiles with delight thinking of dinner. There&#39;s always room for God&#39;s creatures next to the mash potatoes and green peas!</font></font></font>

Comment

Seabrook Lake Pontchartrain Wh

Seabrook Lake Pontchartrain White Trout Blitz,

Today I fished my backyard &#40;Lake Pontchartrain&#41; out of Bonnabel boat launch with high southerly winds and overcast skies. I stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up some headless shrimp and some ice and my first stop was the Causeway Bridge but nothing was happening there at all. I saw 2 other boats fishing and they were not doing a thing either, so I headed to Seabrook. The area was relatively calm with many boats fishing. Fishing was dead early morning but picked up midmorning after trying several different spots. Best bait was popcorn chart. sparkle beetles in tandem with no jig heads &#40;just red 1/0 hooks through the bodies&#41; and a drop leader with a 1 oz. weight to bring it down slowly on Vanish 20 lb. test. Both beetles were tipped with sliced shrimp chunks &#40;not pinched so the shell was in tact&#41; and I started getting hits, pulling in white trout of decent size on almost every cast- sometimes two at the time. The boats around me were catching nothing for the most part but a couple later on using shrimp starting catching a few trout as well. These trout were not the summertime cigars but nice 1-2 pounders. The trick was to cast out and let the weight go to the bottom, down current, and then twitch the line in with slow retrieve— and slam, a trout! There was very little tide but it was on the high side. I fished waters between 35- 40 ft. in depth. I must have caught nearly 45-50 trout with one speckled trout. I did throw back some cigar-sized trout and kept only decent sized ones. If you want to take some kids fishing or you just want to have some fun and fill your freezer with some fresh trout filets, head out to New Orleans’s backyard fishing grounds, Lake Pontchartrain — you just might run into some nice speckled trout as well on a good incoming tide.

Good fishin’,
                  Jerrylabella.com

Comment

Outer Banks Gusty Winds Speckl

Outer Banks Gusty Winds Speckled Trout Whippin’

Friday Afternoon Dale and I decided to head out of Venice after seeing the first break in the hellacious windy weather over the past 2 weeks. After making it to the Venice Marina, very few boats were out fishing due to persistent windy conditions, but that wasn’t stopping us this time. We pointed the boat in the opposite direction of most adventurers and headed to the “outer banks.” After arriving at our spot, the water was 70 degrees and the wind was blowing a steady 15 mph or more out of the east. We waded into the water and using our minnow-chasing-the-shrimp-rig combo- (tandem 1/8 oz. screw jig heads with the top one being a clear sparkle beetle and the bottom a Reaction Bayou Chub minnow in avocado/red flick/chart. tail {patent pending}) on 20 lb. Vanish leader 7 ft. long tied to the spool’s 6/20 Power Pro line— the action exploded within 5 minutes of locating the baseball-bat sized speckled trout feeding frenzy. We started fishing at quarter-to-4:00 PM and limited out around 5:00 PM, sometimes hauling in 2 at the time. Normally we would have stayed overnight to fish the next morning as well, but we had limited out and were still fresh for the ride back home, so we headed in. We were back home around 8:30 PM in Kenner with a motherlode of 50 fat springtime speckled trout. Dale had a ball for the first time wadefishing but said he would be better prepared for such action next time.

Good fishin’,
                    Jerrylabella.com

Dale's eyes bulge as he attempts to lift these motherlodes

Comment

Venice Outer Banks Muddy-Water

Venice Outer Banks Muddy-Water, Slow-Tide Speckled Trout Ambush

Saturday afternoon Arthur, Mark and I headed to Venice to wade fish the “Outer Banks” under very nice weather conditions. Our plans were to stay overnight, fishing that evening and then Sunday morning. After making it to our location, the water was low but clean. Fishing was very slow, but a dozen nice fish &#40;1 flounder, 2 redfish and 9 speckled trout&#41; were caught before sunset. The next morning we awoke to muddy river water surrounding our spot, thus we headed to another location and found cleaner water and the speckled trout were obliging but very slowly. We fished with tandem 1/8 screw jig heads and Bayou Chub minnows &#40;avocado/red flick/chart. tail&#41; and clear sparkle beetles. We left this spot to see if we could find better action elsewhere, only to return to find the trout obliging better this time. We saw one other boat and a seaplane come into the same area—seeing us catching fish— but they were not wade fishing and saw little action. We ended the trip with 47 speckled trout, 3 redfish, and 1 flounder, not to mention sore arms and a suntan.

Good fishin’,
                      Jerrylabella.com

<font color="aa00aa"><font face="verdana&#44;arial&#44;helvetica"><font size="+1">Mark &#40;L&#41; &amp; Arthur &#40;R&#41; smile with delight with this &#34;Outer Banks&#34; box of fish.</font></font></font>

Comment

Venice Outer Banks Saturday Ev

Venice Outer Banks Saturday Evening Speckled Trout Explosion,

Saturday afternoon Rene, Nolan, and I left out of Venice Marina under overcast skies and tranquil wind conditions and headed to the “Outer Banks” where we planned to wade fish that evening and the next morning for springtime speckled trout. The tide range was very promising for the time period we planned to fish- over a foot movement. Armed with our tandem rigged 1/8 oz. screw jig heads, laced with Bayou Chub minnows &#40;avocado/red flick/chart tail&#41; and clear sparkle beetles &#40;lower drop&#41;, we slipped into one of our hiding holes and soon several nice fat speckled trout were pulled out along with one nice flounder. Water was very clean and high. Action did not last long but plenty of hardhead catfish were nailing our lures so we headed to another nearby location. Several other boats were in the area and did not see much action and after an hour they left the area. After trying a few different spots, speckled trout were obliging but very slowly. We did, however observe a nearby boat fishing with live shrimp under egg rattle corks and they were enjoying pretty steady action in deeper water compared to us. However, we were persuaded to get back into the boat and fish after both Rene and Nolan had a shark attack their stringers. We moved to a little deeper water, about 5 feet in depth, but stayed in the same area. Action started to explode as we switched to glow DOA ¼ oz under torpedo Cajun rattle corks. The tide was moving out and the fishing action was non-stop- literally exploding with trout. We caught 71 trout before it got too dark to fish anymore. The next morning before sunrise we finished off the limit and caught and releases very nice sized trout for about an hour. Action was not as fast as Saturday evening’s blast.

Good fishin’,
                        Jerrylabella.com

Rene&#39; &#40;L&#41; and Nolan &#40;R&#41; had a great trip to the Outer Banks

Comment

Hopedale Inside Cool-Marsh Tro

Hopedale Inside Cool-Marsh Trout Report,

Today I decided to head out of Pip’s Place and fish by myself under very cool and breezy weather conditions. Tide was on a fall in the morning and had almost 2 ft. range. I first tried One-Quart-of-Fuel Lake and to my surprise I pulled out 5 fat speckled trout using glow ¼ oz. DOA under Cajun torpedo rattle cork but the bite was short-lived. I then headed to Lake Robin and after searching around the area I located dive-bombing seagulls near a shoreline and the bite was on again, catching 2 trout at the time but the bite also was short-lived after bringing in a dozen trout. I then headed to Four Horse Lake and caught only a couple more fish before heading to Lake Amadee where I located more feeding trout and finished off the limit of 25. I did have to throw about a dozen under sized fish back but some of the keepers went 3 pounds. Best bait in that area was the new penny Berkley Gulp 3 inch fishing 3 ft down with 1/8 oz. screw jig head under the Cajun torpedo rattle cork. The water was root-beer colored but had good clarity. Many boats were out on the water today and I only saw one other boat catching fish in Four Horse Lake using live shrimp on the bottom. Watch out for the crab trap floats; they are all over the place along with the harvesters.

Good fishin’,
                          Jerrylabella.com

Comment

Outer Banks Wind-blown, Astron

Outer Banks Wind-blown, Astronomical-Tide Trout Report,

Saturday afternoon Nolan, Ernie and I headed out of Venice Marina under overcast skies and very windy conditions. Not many boats out due to the high winds but we still headed out to the outer banks to fish our spot. Upon arriving, the tides were very high due to the astronomical tidal effect and very dirty water conditions. Waves were 5 ft. in route to the outer banks and winds were east southeast 20 mph. Fishing was very slow and we only observed 2 other boats in the area. We worked hard that evening wade fishing using minnow lures &#40;Ernie using Strom ¼ oz. shad freelined and Nolan and I Bayou Chub minnows, sparkle beetles and DOA&#41;. We only had about 8 trout for that evening. The next morning the winds subsided a bit and the water exhibited better clarity but was very high and incoming. The total number of fish caught was around 28. Many of the trout were very nice sized as the pictures shows. Ernie did very well for the first time fishing the outer banks, catching more fish than Nolan and I. We spoke to another wade angler fishing the area and he told us that Saturday morning he and his crew caught 180 trout using live croakers before the winds picked up and messed up the water. There was only 3 other boats fishing the area Sunday morning and fishing was very slow for them as well.

Good fishin’,
                            Jerrylabella.com

Nolan &#40;L&#41; and Ernie &#40;R&#41; worked hard for these speckled trout at the outer banks

Comment

Buras 10-Year Speckled Trout R

Buras 10-Year Speckled Trout Reunion,

Today I left out of Joshua’s Marina to fish Buras, an area I haven’t fished for at least a decade. Needless to say, the landscape has completely changed. The area in front of the marina is almost a straight, uninterrupted run to the Gulf. Sporadic islands freckled the run with tons of oyster reefs, all skewered with marker sticks . The weather was very calm and overcast with a falling tide. Water was on the murky side. I fished only lures: Berkley new penny 3 inch Gulps w/ 1/8 screw jig head, glow DOA ¼ oz. and Strom 3 inch wild-eyed shad all fished under various type corks &#40;Cajun torpedo, egg clip-on&#41;. I fished over oyster reefs and around small islands patches with the use of my trolling motor, catching trout at almost all of the spots. I came in early after the heat became unbearable around 10:45 am with 21 fish, one of which was a redfish. There were at least a half dozen throw-backs but most of the keepers were very nice sized with one going 4 pounds and was as long as a 48-quart Igloo. I could have limited out on the trout but couldn’t take the heat any longer. The weather forecast over the radio warned that there was a heat warning until Sunday. I first I thought it was me, until I heard this broadcast. Some of the pluses for this area: not too many boats and plenty good water to fish without running into other anglers.

Good fishin’,
                              jerry labella.com

Comment

Buras Picture-Perfect Weather

Buras Picture-Perfect Weather Trout Report,

Today Dale and I headed out of Joshua’s Marina under very calm, overcast weather. Tide conditions were very good as well with over 2 ft. range. Plenty of boats out today and the fishing started slow. We fished only lures again: DOA clear and glow, Storm 3 inch wild-eyed shad, Berkley new penny &amp; natural 3 inch Gulps, Reaction 3 inch Bayou Chub minnow chart./silver flick/black back all fished under various corks (Cajun torpedo rattle and clip-on egg rattle about 1 1/2 ft down). Some fish were caught freelined. Best spots were over oyster reefs drifting then anchoring at times. The second best spots were under dive-bombing birds over the same areas. We threw back about 10-12 under sized fish but ended the day with 48 nice specks. We could have limited out if someone aboard fished more than he ate. The Berkley Gulps caught most of the fish but the larger trout were caught on the Storm shad. The Gulps work best if you cut the pointy nose tip off about &#188; inch section and discard, then thread the body up onto a 1/8 oz. screw jig head. They stay on much longer than regular jig heads and cutting the tip off allows the screw coil on the jig head to grip the body better.

Good fishin’,
                                Jerrylabella.com
                                Dale smiles with delight with a full belly

Comment

Buras 50 Mule-Trout Heat Rash,

Buras 50 Mule-Trout Heat Rash,

Today Arthur and I left out of Joshua’s marina under very calm and hot weather conditions. Tide was less that a foot differential and the water clarity was clean in most of the areas we fished. We first headed to coast to fish the surf from the boat, but fishing was very slow to dead in that area so we opted to fish various oyster reefs in the nearby area. We threw DOA’s and Bayou Cub minnows but the best bait today was the Berkley Gulps in the 3-inch size &#40;new penny, natural and white colors&#41; fished under Cajun torpedo and medium sized regular style rattle corks using ¼ oz. screw jig heads fished 2-3 ft down. The line rigging was Power Pro 6/20 on the spool and a 7 ft. Berkley fluorocarbon leader tied directly to the PP braided line to keep the Cajun rattle corks from flying off and the fish from seeing the line. The trick with theses corks is to either use the torpedo or medium sized regular so that there’s not much water drag when the cork is pulled back to set the hook. Large-sized corks with concaved tops for popping are a cause of many a lost hookups. If you don’t believe this, ask Arthur. He was on a roll until he lost his med.-sized Cajun rattle cork I lent him, but he had fun watching me finish off the limit of mule trout. I have to admit, however, it took us awhile to get the rhythm needed to catch them consistently, and we had to try several different spots.

God fishin’,
                                  Jerrylabella.com

<font color="ff0000">Arthur displays with pleasure two of the 50 mule team trout</font>

Comment

Scorching Hot Weather Buras Tr

Scorching Hot Weather Buras Trout Report,

Calm, hot weather and good tide was the main menu today as Mickey and I headed out of Joshua’s Marina this morning. Our first spot yielded no trout and plenty of dirty water. Tide was incoming, so we headed to the coastal area and found clean water and specks obliging in the surf. Best bait was the Berkley Gulps in 3 and 4 inch sizes fished under Cajun rattle torpedo corks on ¼ oz. screw jig heads. Color didn’t matter but we did have intermittently throw-backs. After things slowed there, we headed to nearby oyster reefs where we fought the heat more than the trout. We ended the day with 35 specks and 5 white trout. The heat beat us up as there wasn’t a puff of wind to be found anywhere. Don’t forget to get your new fishing license.

Good fishin’,
                                    jerrylabella.com

Comment

Buras Surf Fishing Report,

Buras Surf Fishing Report,

Today Nolan and I headed out to Pelican Island to fish the surf from the boat. Upon leaving Joshua’s Marina, we found that the wind was blowing a bit more than unusual under overcast skies and scattered thunder showers, but we managed to pull some nice specks out from under dive-bombing seagulls with the use of Berkley Gulps in various colors and Cajun rattle corks. Nolan locked onto what I at first thought was a piling as we drifted into one of the passes, but he soon convinced me it was a big redfish after he fought it for 20 minutes before landing it. We came in early before noon, trying to miss any storms, with a 45-pound bull red and 20 nice speckled trout. Not many boats out today, possibly because of the rainy forecast.

Good fishin’,
                                      Jerrylabella.com

Nolan with the biggest red he every caught

Comment

Port Sulphur Box O Trout

Port Sulphur Report,

Today Rick and I decided to head out to Port Sulphur, a place I haven’t fished in nearly 20 years. I heard the action was pretty consistent compared to Buras, which was starting to diminish the last past few trips. As I headed down the Freeport Canal, it appeared very much like I remembered it. However, I didn’t get a chance to go all the way down to Lake Grand Ecaille because we ran into dive-bombing seagulls and had to pull over to fish them before we could get to that area. Shrimp were jumping out of the water like popcorn hitting hot oil— and the action was on! Not large trout but many keeper size with a few fat ones in between. We really didn’t have to leave that area because the action was so good we limited out on trout right there. All the fish were caught on the old-time favorite, sparkle beetles (clear & chart.), fished under corks of various types and also freelined in tandem on &#188; oz. jig heads. Many times the fish were right on the side of the boat and hanging the line overboard would produce two trout at the time. Rick brought fresh shrimp along but we really didn’t need fresh bait. Berkley Gulps in the 3 inch size were really hot also. The tide was falling and the weather was very calm and hot under overcast skies. All of the fish were caught in 2- 4 feet of water. Great trip and we were back at the launch before 11:00 am.

Good fishin’,
                                        Jerrylabella.com

Rick is very happy with this box o trout
                                        Saltwater Fishing Articles & More by Outdoor Writer Jerry LaBella
                                        http://www.jerrylabella.com/forums
                                        http://jerrylabella.com

Comment

Port Sulphur Report,

Port Sulphur Report,

Plenty heat, plenty boats, plenty small trout. This morning Woody and I left out of Port Sulphur to try and see if the trout were still in the same place as last week. Fishing with Berkley Gulps in the 3 inch size and rattle Cajun corks and freelined sparkle beetles in tandem, we manage to stay on some speckled trout, most of which were throw-backs. Tide was falling all day and the birds were dive-bombing again on shrimp jumping on the subsurface, fleeing from the jaws of hungry trout. No one should have been fishing from noon until that evening. It was just too hot. We manage to keep 39 trout and headed in before noon. The heat was bad my digital camera smeared the shot.

Good fishin’,

Jerrylabella.com
                                          Woody displays 2 trout and had a great time
                                          Saltwater Fishing Articles & More by Outdoor Writer Jerry LaBella
                                          http://www.jerrylabella.com/forums
                                          http://jerrylabella.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X