X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain's Log Reports & Pictures

Breton Is.,

Joshua, James and I left out of Venice Marina to evening fish Breton Island . The weather was calm under partly cloudy skies. Upon arriving behind the island, it didn’t take long to locate the feeding trout. Some anglers were already near our spot and they were catching fish as well from their boat using live croakers. Water was very clean and at the section of the island we fished, there was no evidence of oil damage from the recent spill. All trout for the most part were caught on Speckulizers and the trout were very nice sized, not school trout. Great fishing at the island this year so far.

Good fishin’,
    Jerry LaBella
    June 18/19, '05

Breton Is. Report,

Sat. aft

Breton Is. Report,

Sat. afternoon Mickey, Chris, and I left out of Venice Marina to head to Breton Island to wade fish. Weather was very nice under partly cloudy skies and light winds. After arriving, we found the tide on the low side but still managed to land some nice sized speckled trout on the backside of the island. Speckulizers seemed to work best but freelined tandem clear sparkle beetles with Saltwater Assassins fire tiger minnows trailing with ¼ oz. jig heads work also. Next morning the tide came in very early and was extremely high. Large speckled trout were caught early morning then slowed midmorning picking up again around 11:00 AM . We managed to land 51 specks and 2 flounders and threw back many undersized trout. Water was very clean the whole trip with light to calm winds.

Good fishin’,
    Jerry LaBella
    July 2/3, '05

Comment

Breton Is.

Saturday afterno

Breton Is.

Saturday afternoon John, Nolan, and I left out of Delta Marina and headed to Breton Is. The weather was very calm with overcast skies. After arriving at the island and fishing with Speckulizers and tandem fire tiger Saltwater Assassins and sparkle beetles, many undersized speckled trout were caught and released. The tide was falling and the water was relatively clean that evening. At night, we headed to one of the lighted rigs and more specks were caught but the fishing was slow. Specks could be seen striking bait on the surface but they were hard to catch. Sunday morning the tide was already in when we began to fish at daybreak. Fishing was very slow and only a couple of fish were caught that morning.

Good fishing’,
      Jerry LaBella
      Aug. 6/7. '05

Comment

Friday 3, '06
        Point A LaH

Friday 3, '06
        Point A LaHAche

Tim Mulmore and I left out of Point A LaHache under foggy conditions. Upon launching from Bashel’s Marina—what’s left of it from Katrina, the water was on the high side. Fishing was very slow and the speckled trout that were caught were under legal size. One bull red was caught by Tim and I managed to catch one keeper size trout out of a good number of throw-backs. We could have done better had we waited for the tide to drop later that evening. We did bring home some delicious sacks of oysters purchased off the boat at the launch. All fish were caught on a cork and DOA or chart. sparkle beetle. The bull red was caught on the latter.

Good fishing,
        Jerry LaBella

Comment

Point A La Hache

Arthur an

Point A La Hache

Arthur and I left out Beshel’s Marina under foggy conditions and overcast skies. Water was on the high side and the gnats were swarming. We started fishing in Long Island Bay outside of Big Four Bayou. Small speckled trout were obliging using corks and DOA shrimp and chartreuse sparkle beetles. Most of the speckled trout came form Point Fenne, however. Weather started to deteriorate with the front moving in around 11:30 AM. We managed to keep 25 specks and threw back over 40 under-sized trout.

Good fishin’,
          Jerry LaBella

Comment

Delacroix Report
            Feb 28, ‘06

Delacroix Report
            Feb 28, ‘06

While many were out catching beads a doubloons, three of us (Bryan, Mike and I) headed to Delacroix to catch speckled trout at Point Fenne. Early morning fishing was good but slowed as the morning diminished. Fewer throw-backs were caught and the weather was cold with sunny skies. The water was on the high side but the clarity was not too good. All fish were caught on Speculizers.

Good fishin,
            Jerry LaBella

Comment

Hopedale Report,

Tra

Hopedale Report,

Travis, Arthur, and I headed initially to Delacroix to fish Point Fenne, but we were turned around by St. Bernard Police halfway to the launch because of a barge that was going to take 2 hours to be moved in that area. Alternatively, we headed to Reggio to launch. Upon doing so we found that Katrina had filled in the canal not far from the launch and there was very little water in certain areas. Not taking any chances of getting stuck, we therefore picked up the boat and headed to Hopedale. Many boats were being launched under very windy and cold conditions. We headed across the MRGO and onto one of the many lagoons in that area. Water was very clean. No fish were caught, however, until we made it to Bayou St. Malo. Fishing was slow and very scattered in the area but the trout, for the most part, were keeper-size. All fish were caught on Speculizers. I spoke to one angler at the launch waiting to pick up his boat and he indicated that his group caught nothing. Also, the Wild Life & Fisheries were stopping and checking boats for proper equipment and fish size and limits. So make sure you boat owners have a life preserver for each passenger aboard and a throw ring for boats 16ft and over or you might get a ticket. All in all, we caught enough speckled trout for a meal and had a great time fishing an area that I have not been to in over 20 years. Side note: the boat hoist will be in operation in spring.

Good fishin’,
              Jerry LaBella

Comment

Hopedale Report,

Ca

Hopedale Report,

Capt. <font color="ff0000">Jerry Labella </font>and I headed out of Breton Sound Marina and were welcomed to a day of fishing by a steady wind that while standing would send you sailing across the lakes and lagoons.

Special Thanks to Capt. Frank Moore for pointing us in the right direction, for we were able to make a good day of fishing out of a windy situation. We fished Lake Ameda and the surrounding areas. The bait of choice = Green Saltwater Assassins under popping cork. Pulling in 30&#43; plus Specks onboard with some very nice ones made the trip very rewarding.

A. Wilamouseski

Comment

[b]<font color="ff0000">Hopeda

<font color="ff0000">Hopedale is RED HOT:</font> Today I left the house around 8:30 AM to head out to Hopedale to fish the lagoons deep in the marsh by myself. The weather was perfect with light winds and overcast skies. The water was high and clean when I arrived and it didn’t take long to find fish. Very nice speckled trout were caught freelined and under a cork with Saltwater Assassins in various colors. I made it back to the launch around 1:00 pm with a limit of trout and one bass and left them in a feeding frenzy. I didn’t bring the camera because no one else was there to take the pictures but I sure wish I would have.

Good fishin’

Comment

[b][i]<font color="ff0000">Hop

<font color="ff0000">Hopedale Report</font>

Mike, Bryan, and I left out of Hopedale and headed to the back lagoons to fish speckled trout and whatever else might be biting. We had a morning incoming tide and the fishing started slow. After drift fishing along some of the backsides, we managed to catch some nice speckled trout, flounders, and redfish using Reaction Bayou Chub Minnows and Saltwater Assassins in various shades of green. Most of all of the fish were caught freelined with a medium, steady retrieve. Some of the trout were over 3 pounds and very few throw-back were caught. Fishing has been good in Hopedale lately as long as there’s a tide movement.

Good fishin’,

Jerry LaBella w/ spec

Comment

[b][i]<font color="ff0000">Hop

<font color="ff0000">Hopedale Report</font>,

Today Nolan and I left out of Hopedale and headed to the back lagoons under very windy conditions and found speckled trout sporadically obliging in one of the back canals. Water conditions were good and the tide was a bit low until mid morning. We fished Saltwater Assassins, Reaction Bayou Chub minnows, and DOA shrimp under corks. Drift fishing was most affective and most of the trout were nice sized—only a few throw-backs. We managed to keep 27 nice trout and the day turned out bright and sunny as the winds subsided later in the evening.

Good fishin’
                      Jerry LaBella
                      <font color="0000ff">Nolan Franz with specks</font>

Comment

[b]<font color="ff0000"><font

<font color="ff0000"><font face="times new roman&#44;times&#44;roman"><font size="+1">Hopedale is HOT</font></font></font>,

Today Arthur and I left out of Hopedale and headed to the closest area we could find and started drift fishing. Speckled trout were doing acrobats across the surface of the water chasing grass shrimp on the subsurface. We tossed DOA shrimp under a clicking cork and were pulling them in one after the other at times. A good few were under sized but we manage to keep 40 beauties. Arthur shows off 2 nice ones here: Tide was coming in until 11:00 am with good range. There were many boats out today.

Good fishin’
                        Jerry LaBella

Comment

<font color="ff0000">Hopedale Report</font>

Today Peter and I left out of Hopedale under clear skies and calm winds to fish the same area as Friday. The tide was a bit low but started to rise around 11:00 am. The fish were not in the same place as Friday so we headed to the pipeline canal and started catching fish. We managed to catch one black drum and 2 flounder with 30 speckled trout. We threw back about 20 under sized speckled trout. There’s been a good bit of boats out fishing lately and the area is full of crab traps. Be very careful as we have seen some boat props tangled up in them.

Good fishin’
                          Jerry LaBella
                          <font color="000000">Peter smiles as he shows off one speck and one flounder</font>

Comment

<font color="ff0000">Hopedale on FIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

Mike, Bryan and I headed out to Hopedale to fish the area of Lake Robin and various cuts, under favorable weather. Tide was coming in all morning as we made it into Lake Robin, and the birds were in flight at various locations. We stopped at one of the cuts entering Lake Robin and the bite was on hot and heavy. At one point big speaks were slaughtering queen sized H&amp;H black back/chart/silver glitter cocahoe minnow lures freelined with 1/2 oz. jig heads. If it weren’t for one angler’s line messing up, we could have limited out right there. We caught 40 beautiful speckled trout and one flounder. Throughout the day we threw back few undersized fish.

Good fishin’,
                            Jerry LaBella
                            <font color="ff0000">Mike shows off 2 big boys with a grin </font>

Comment

[b]Seabrook White Trout Bonanz

Seabrook White Trout Bonanza

Today I left out of Bonnabel Boat Launch and headed to Seabrook of Lake Pontchatrain area to fish the deep hole. Fishing started out slow with a few white trout here and there and few large sail cats. After moving about several time, I hit the motherlode. With a tandem drop leader setup and cut white trout and dead shrimp, I was catching trout 2 at the time. Many were small but there were some nice sized one in there. I didn’t keep any less than 10 inches and there were a lot of them. Many boats in the area fishing the opening entering the lake. A couple of boats fishing live shrimp were catching some nice redfish fishing the high current area in 20 ft. of water. I managed to catch at least 45 white trout and threw back at least 20. At one point the trout were hitting just lures. Left them biting. Great fishing in the area and the weather’s been fine.

Good fishin’
                              Jerry LaBella

Comment

[b]<font color="0000ff">Lake P

<font color="0000ff">Lake Pontchartrain Croakers &amp; White Trout</font>
                                Sat. 24, ‘06

Today Rick and I left out of Bonnabel boat launch and headed to Seabrook to fish specks. We picked up live shrimp at the Seabrook Marina and tried on the airport side of the opening into the lake with sliding corks. Several boats were out that morning and we only seen one trout caught. After giving it up, we went out to the deep hole nearby and picked up on some nice white trout. When things slowed down there, we headed to the Causeway Bridge and fished under it. We picked up on some nice croakers on fresh shrimp, one white trout, and one sand shark. Seabrook Marina is a very close spot to pick up on live shrimp, about a ½ mile up the channel after going under the bridge on the right side, blue/white building with boats out front.

Good fishin’
                                Jerry LaBella

Comment

[b]<font color="0000ff"><font

<font color="0000ff"><font face="times new roman&#44;times&#44;roman"><font size="+1">PORT SULPHUR/BARATARIA BAY
                                  </font></font></font>

Today Mike Martina and I decided to see what was going on out of Port Sulphur-post Katrina- so we headed out to Barataria Bay to fish a secret reef. First cast and I nailed a nice speckled trout. Subsequent casts yielded intermittent under sized trout so we headed to another location but was interrupted by diving birds nailing shrimp. Several more cast under the birds and for every 4 trout caught there was one keeper. Moved around to several other spots before trying a tank battery installation and found some very nice sized trout lurking around it. They were obliging on two new lures I’m experimenting with: Tsunami glass minnow and Strom wild eye swim shad. These lures look very real and the trout thought so as well. The fish would only strike lures fished with mono, not braided. I fished them tight lined with 10 pound test. Mike used a cork with mono line and was also catching some nice trout as well. We didn’t catch a limit, but we only fished plastic and had a nice ice chest full of pretty trout. The weather was very nice and overcast most of the day. Winds were light and the water had good visibility with 7/10 of a tide movement in the morning. We will be trying Breton Island soon as Breton Sound Marina has their hoist in operation so that I can launch my bigger boat.

Good fishin’,
                                  Jerry LaBella

Comment

&lt;font face=&quot;times new roman&amp;#4

Port Sulphur/Barataria Bay Report,

With the 4th of July holiday being Tuesday, Authur and I figured we could sneak out Monday evening late and night fish Barataria Bay for trout. We packed up the Honda generator and Halogen beams along with other essentials and headed to Port Sulphur to launch. Weather was overcast with light winds and before sunset our first spot yielded some nice speckled trout caught on lures and clicking corks. After sunset we cranked up the generator and set out the twin 300 watt beams, aiming them toward the water. Fishing was very slow because of little tidal movement, but we did catch speckled trout very sporadically on glass minnows we scooped from the water. These were fished free lined with split shots weights. Water clarity was good. The next morning the trout were obliging at the same rig but a good number were under size. Clicking corks used with various minnow lures including DOA glow shrimp. Around 10:00 am we headed in as the sun was becoming unbearable. Few boats out in the area but we did see one boat catching trout with live bait. We managed to catch a nice box of speckled trout numbering around 30-35.

Good fishin’,
                                    jerry LaBella

Comment

[b]&lt;font color=&quot;0000ff&quot;&gt;&lt;font

Barataria Bay/Port Sulphur,

Another run to Barataria Bay yielded many specks but many undersized. Friday evening I picked 50 live shrimp from Bait Incorporated for our Saturday morning trip with my brother-in-law, Keith. Our first stop produced non-stop action with Keith using Speculizer rig while I threw live shrimp under a sliding cork. We fished 6 ft of water near a wellhead and trout were being caught one after the other. Tides was coming in until 8:00 am and then falling out right after. Water clarity was good with light winds and overcast skies. As the bite slowed we moved to other spots only to catch more school trout. Many birds were seen diving in the open areas of oyster reefs but we didn’t try fishing them as we were worn out catching small fish. We were home for noon with 22 keeper trout.

Good fishin’,
                                      Jerry LaBella
                                      Kieth Shows off 2 Specks

Comment

[b]&lt;font color=&quot;0000ff&quot;&gt;&lt;font

Breton Island Slam/Hog Trout,

Friday evening Arthur and I headed out to Breton Sound Marina to wade fish Breton Island. The weather was overcast with showers occurring at the marina upon our arrival. After launching we headed to the island. The tide was falling all evening so we figured we could catch some speckled trout before sunset. After arriving, we were shocked to see the island’s demise from Katrina. Usually, however, this makes for good fishing with newly developed deep cuts that hold fish. It wasn’t long before I hooked up with a nice speckled trout— that was before we both had caught several lady fish. I was very surprised to see the size of these trout as during this season they are mostly school trout around the island. This was not the case. By that evening we had around 20 fish all caught on freelined Reaction Bayou Chub minnow lures with &#188; oz. jig heads. Best color was avocado/red flake/chart. tail. That night we powered up the generator and burned the water with 600 watts of Halogen lighting. We caught an additional mess of trout with intermittent lady fish and catfish obliging before the tide stopped along with the fish bite. Clicking corks with glow DOA and glow Chub minnows along with some live shrimp worked well at night. The next morning the tide was very high and it didn’t take long to locate the feeding hogs. We were catching and releasing large speckled trout as we easily had reached out limit. Only one other boat was observed fishing in the area, but he was not in the feeding zone as he fished from his boat. On the way back to the MRGO, many boats were unable to make it out to fish the open bay and sound as the winds were a bit too high. The boat launch was once again packed with trailers but we beat the rush.

Good fishin’,
                                        Jerry LaBella
                                        Arthur grins as he shows off Breton Island trout

Comment

Working...
                                        X