Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday, 2/25, brothers Ed and Fred Armstrong had planned tofish offshore with me. A weather front came through the area over-night,however, and kicked up winds to about 25 knots, with very rough conditionsoffshore. So the guys decided to fish in Estero Bay’s backwaters instead. Eventhe bay was challenging for fishing that morning. The tide which was supposedto turn around at 9AM, never did so, and the wind was sucking the water out ofthe bay. The guys managed to catch eight sheepshead, on live shrimp, but onlyone was a keeper at 13 inches. The rest of the sheepies were about ½-inch shortof keeper-size, and had to be released. The guys also released a crevalle jack.

It was just a little less windy on Tuesday morning, 2/26,than it had been the day before. I fished the backwaters of southern Estero Baywith Charles Vanenbossche, his brother, Brian, and their parents, Mike andSandy. The family caught eleven sheepshead, including four keepers, on liveshrimp. They lost three or four others when the hook pulled out, as theysometimes do when sheepshead are hooked in the lip.

Wednesday morning, 2/27, I returned to the south end ofEstero Bay, this time to fish with Dennis Mascioli and his friends, Vince andGary on a catch-and-release trip. The sheepshead bite was slower than it hasbeen recently, but the guys released four sheepies to 14 inches, and lost oneredfish to a broken line.

Long-time customers, Ron Musick, Eddie Alfonso, and RichardArnett fished 33 miles offshore with me on Thursday, 2/28. The guys used cutbait and squid to catch twenty nice porgies to 24 inches, along with threekeeper lane snapper and a few grunts.

Dave Carr and his friends, Chuck and Wayne, fished 20 milesoffshore with me on Friday morning, March 1st. They used frozen shrimp andsquid to catch twenty-five grunts to 14 inches, and put a dozen of those in thefish box for fish tacos. They released the rest, along with several ladyfish,four red grouper shorts, two lane snapper shorts and one mangrove snappershort.

Frequent customer, Mike Connealy, fished 33 miles west of NewPass with me on Monday, 3/4. The winds had picked up over the weekend, and wehad some hefty swells heading out, along with some choppy seas for a while. Thebig porgies were biting, but the goliath grouper were competing with us forthose, and they got the largest of them. Still, we managed to box seven niceporgies to 18 inches, and we released four smaller ones. We added a keeper lanesnapper to the box. We also released one short yellowtail snapper, a smallsheepshead, and one red grouper short.

Fishing was really tough in Estero Bay Tuesday morning, 3/5,when I fished with Gary Hourselt and his son, Nick. The father-son team hadfished the backwaters with me before, and had done well with catching largesheepshead. They had planned to fish offshore this time, but a weather frontthat resulted in small craft advisories nixed that plan. So we headed intosouthern Estero Bay for a catch and release trip that yielded little more thansmall sheepshead in wind and tide conditions that were far from ideal.

Wednesday and Thursday, 3/6 and 3/7, brought a cold frontwith small craft advisories offshore, dead-low tides in the bay, and frigidmornings. Both of those planned offshore trips cancelled. So, it was Fridaybefore I got back on the water. Mike and Bethany Tank fished offshore with meon Friday, 3/8, the first day in a while that has been calm enough to headoffshore. We still experienced some choppy seas at first, but it calmed downnicely in the afternoon. Using shrimp, the couple fished 33 miles west of NewPass, and had a productive day. They caught ten porgies, all 14 inches to 18inches, and three king mackerel, including two at 29 inches and one at 42inches. They released a half-dozen yellowtail snapper shorts. We also got intosome lesser amberjacks, catching and releasing five of those to 25 inches, andwe spotted a huge amberjack, about five foot long. Originally, I thought theywere almaco jacks, but I sent the photos to a fish I.D. expert, who is prettycertain they were lesser amberjacks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	resizedBethanyTank25Almaco.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	10214

Mike Jansen and extended family members, Chris and his youngson, Colton, and Matt and his young daughter, Lily, fished 19 miles west of NewPass with me on a pretty calm morning offshore on Monday, 3/11. The family hadfun catching grunts on shrimp, and boxed over twenty of those, around 12inches. They released a dozen red grouper shorts.

Sandy Mintz treated his grandson, Tyler Karkowski, to a catch-and-release,backwater fishing trip in southern Estero Bay on Tuesday, 3/12.They used liveshrimp to catch and release an 18-inch snook, a crevalle jack, and fivesheepshead to nearly 15 inches.

It was extremely windy on Wednesday, 3/13, and seas werepredicted to be two-to-three feet close to shore, but I knew they would berougher than that. Ian McKinnon and family said they didn’t mind braving roughseas, having fished many rough days on the Great Lakes. So, we headed out toseven miles over rocky bottom so the kids could have fun at least catching amess of grunts. They used squid to catch twenty-two of those, which was plentyfor fish tacos!

Thursday, 3/14, was way too rough to head offshore with myplanned trip, and I remained in port. Friday morning, 3/15, winds were onlyslightly calmer, and there was light rain for a couple hours, but Mark Ginnardand friends decided to brave it offshore anyway. We couldn’t get out too far,due to rough seas, and our near-shore catches included grunts and blue runners—not a whole lot to brag about. Buteveryone had fun catching and releasing what was there, using squid for bait.

A weather front moved through the area overnight Sunday,causing winds and seas to kick up again, and forcing Kristen Leesman, herparents, on and Cathy, and her fiancé, Tom McGuire to change their offshoreplans to inshore fishing instead. The family used live shrimp in southernEstero Bay to catch and release a brace of 20-inch snook, along with a crevallejack. They boxed ten keeper mangrove snapper to 12 inches.

After a rainy, windy, chilly day on Tuesday, which caused meto cancel my scheduled fishing trip, Paul Stanek, his brother, Rich, and Rich’swife, Jill, fished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters with me on Wednesdaymorning, 3/20. The family used live shrimp to catch eight keeper sheepshead to20 inches and a 14-inch black drum. They boxed the four largest sheepshead andreleased everything else.

Friends of long-time customer Joe Hahn, Darren, Greg andSpencer, fished on a very windy Thursday, 3/21, with me in southern Estero Bay,on a catch-and-release trip, using live shrimp. They guys released fifteensheepshead to 18 inches, along with a mangrove snapper and an 18-inch sailcat.

Bill & Terry Tank, frequent and long-time customers,fished southern Estero Bay with me on Friday morning, 3/22, using live shrimpfor bait. They caught five sheepshead, including two keepers to 17 inches, andtwo black drum, including one keeper at 15 inches. Terry landed a 19-inchredfish, which would have been a keeper, if not for the current moratorium onharvesting redfish.

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net
    http://www.fishbustercharters.com

Comment

• March comes to an end, the fishing has been non-stop producing great catches for anglers.

Snook fishing has produced great action for anglers along mangrove shorelines, docks, seawalls and flats. We have had a some cool fronts come through and drop water temperatures making fishing challenging at times, but snook fishing has still thrived as we target Sewalls and structure for great action. Live bait, artificial lures and flyfishing have all been great tactics to to hook up a line siders.

Tarpon action has been hit miss at times ,deep channels and inlets have been the best areas to target the silver king. Live baits like pinfish, mullet and live shrimp drifted with the current have been the best method to produce rod bending action.

The black drum bite has been phenomenal targeting Sewalls and structured areas. Live shrimp and small jigs have produce rod bending action.

Freshwater fishing has been great for largemouth bass in local canals and lakes targeting seawalls, docks and grassy shorelines.

Well that is mthe report for the past week. Hope you all enjoyed. Remember you can’t catch them from the couch, So get out there and get hooked up. Tight lines! PhlatsInshoreFishing.com

Comment

• April has arrived, the past week has offered plenty of sunshine, but super high tides and dirty water made fishing tough at times.

The snook bite has been great targeting mangrove shorelines, channels and docks. Live mullet and pinfish work great as well as DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail in Arkansas Glow. Snook are schooled up at times making for nonstop action. The bigger snook have been located around dock pilings and channel edges DOA Terror Eyz and Bait Busters great lures to target big line siders.

Tarpon action has been hit and miss due to the sporadic weather we have received. The silver kings can be found in channels near inlets and along mangrove shorelines. Live mullet or shrimp free lined on the outgoing tide provides great success.

The black drum fishing continues to thrive, anglers can expect great action using live shrimp on channel edges and near structure. The drum school up at times many of the fish range from 3 to 10 pounds.

Freshwater fishing the largemouth bass bite has been great in local canals and lakes using a DOA C.A.L. 8” finesse worm’s and a DOA C.A.L. 4” jerk baits rigged seedless. The peacock bass are thriving along bridge pilings, sea walls and dock pilings. DOA Terror Eyz or live shiners provoke the strike.

Well that is the inshore fishing report for the past week. Hope you all enjoyed, remember can’t catch them from the couch. Get out there and get hooked up. Tight lines! PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, Visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube.

Comment

• Saturday morning, 3/23, I fished southern Estero Bay’sbackwaters with Tom Weid and his son, John. The guys caught thirteen sheepsheadon live shrimp, including eight keepers from 13 inches to 18 inches.

Seas were a little sloppy heading offshore Monday, 3/25, fora catch-and-release trip with Craig Javanovich, his two sons, and his dad. Butit calmed down a little while into the morning fishing 19 miles west of NewPass. The family used squid to catch forty grunts, three red grouper shorts,five lane snapper shorts, and some blue runners.

Calm seas were a welcome change on Tuesday, morning, 3/26,when I headed out 18 miles west of New Pass with Frank Partee, his son, Mike,and Mike’s daughter, Katie. All the family wanted was some fish for a meal offish tacos, and they achieved that with the seven grunts they boxed. Theyreleased lots of blue runners, along with a half dozen red grouper shorts.Everything bit on squid.

Denis Delor, his two sons, Mason and Jake, and his dad,Barry, had planned to fish offshore on Wednesday morning, 3/27, but small craftadvisories were in effect offshore, due to seas of three-to-five feet. Wefished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters instead, using live shrimp for bait. Thefamily caught five keeper sheepshead to 17 inches, a keeper black drum at 15inches, and two sand bream. They released a crevalle jack.

Thursday and Friday, 3/28 and 3/29 were both windy days withrough seas offshore that prompted a small craft advisory. Both of my plannedoffshore trips for those days canceled. On Saturday, 3/30, I fished southernEstero Bay’s backwaters with Roger Henderson, his son, Steve, and friend, JackBrennen. The guys used live shrimp to catch eight sheepshead, including four keepersto 17 inches. Jack caught and released a 19-inch redfish, which would have beena keeper if not for the current redfish moratorium.

Monday, April 1st, I fished offshore with frequentcustomer, Mike Connealy and his son-in-law, Brett Ewig. We headed out 33 mileswest of New Pass, with shrimp and squid. There were some goliath grouper andsharks harassing some of our would-be catches, but we did well in spite ofthem. The guys caught five keeper mangrove snapper to 14 inches and released nineshort mangs, along with a short yellowtail snapper. They added to the box twokeeper lane snapper and ten nice keeper porgies to 23 inches. They released adozen red grouper shorts to 18 inches, and also had a three-foot kingfish onthe line for a bit, but it cut the line right at the boat.

George Sloan wanted to take his son and young grandchildrenoffshore Tuesday morning, 4/2, to fish for whatever the kids could catch.George, his son Rob, and grandchildren Logan, Lara and Max, used squid 19 mileswest of New Pass to catch and box four good-sized grunts to 14 inches, and theyreleased lots of blue runners, a 14-inch triggerfish, a red grouper short, andsome tomtates and squirrelfish.

A weather front arrived overnight Tuesday, and winds werehowling Wednesday morning, 4/3. The bay wasn’t a very good option, since thefront caused dead low tides there, so Mike Gambino and his three friendsdecided to try the gulf. NOAA had forecast seas of two to three feet, but itwas way rougher than that, with steady 4-footers and occasionally worse thanthat. We ventured no further than the local reefs off Bonita Beach. Fishing wastough, but the guys managed to catch eight grunts on squid—enough for fishtacos—and they released lots of blue runners.

Dr. Meir Daller and his son, Brenden, fished 34 miles west ofNew Pass with me on Saturday, 4/6. Fishing was kind of slow, at least forkeepers, but the guys caught and released plenty of red grouper shorts to 18inches—twenty of those. They did catch a nice keeper mangrove snapper at 16inches, and one keeper lane snapper that was nearly 13 inches, along with four12-inch grunts, all on squid.

High winds and rough seas were again a problem the week of4/8. I had to cancel several offshore trips. I fished inshore on Fridaymorning, 4/12, in southern Estero Bay with John Abernathy and his son, Ryan.The tide was slow, and the action wasn’t great. The guys caught and releasedthree sheepshead to 12 inches, using live shrimp for bait.

Southern Estero Bay’s action was about the same on Saturdaymorning, 4/13, as it had been on Friday. Phil and Jill Binotti and Jill’sdaughter, Kristen, used live shrimp to catch and release five sheepshead shortsto 11 inches, along with five juvenile mutton snappers. One big redfish was hooked,but was lost under the trees.

After high winds and seas for several consecutive days, I gotback out offshore on Wednesday, 4/17, and fished 20 miles west of New Pass withTroy Reazin and his three sons. The guys used squid and cut-bait to catch fifteengrunts, ten of which they boxed for fish tacos. They released five red groupershorts and lots of blue runners.

Thursday, 4/18, was windy again, and I fished inshore insouthern Estero Bay with Ed Knapp and his thirteen-year-old grandson, Austin.They used live shrimp to catch five sheepshead, including a 13-inch keeper, andtwo 11-inch keeper mangrove snapper. They released two crevalle jack, about 12inches each, a 17-inch redfish, and two 18-inch sail-cats.

Weather was a problem again on Friday morning, 4/19. PeytonAmato, his dad, and his two cousins had planned to fish offshore, but roughseas prevented that, so they decided to cut their planned full-day, gulf tripto a half-day, and fish in the bay instead. We managed to catch an incomingtide, and the guys used live shrimp to catch a few keepers, including two16-inch black drum and a 12-inch mangrove snapper. They caught a half dozensheepshead too, but all of those were just short of keeper size and werereleased. About an hour sooner than we’d planned to head in, the rains, whichhad been light and scattered grew heavy, and we headed back to safe harbor.

The photo shown is of Richard Arnett with a 24-inch porgy,caught on squid on a recent offshore trip.

Name:	resizedDickArnett24Porgy.JPG
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	10215

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
          Captain Dave Hanson
          Bonita Beach, FL
          239 947-1688
          fishbuster@comcast.net

Comment

• Spring into action the bite is on! Inshore fishing salt and freshwater in the palm beaches offering plenty of drag screaming action.

The snook fishing is fantastic around docks, seawalls and mangrove shorelines. Live mullet and pinfish great live baits to use. Artificial lures like DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail on a 1/4oz jig head great choice to provoke strikes. The snook are active from sunrise to sunset, so anglers gear up and get your rod bent.

Tarpon fishing continues to offer angles consistent action in back bays and near inlets. Free lined live baits or DOA Terror Eyz worked alone drop offs and channel edges get the bite.

Big jacks are active along sea walls and deep channels. DOA bait buster and DOA C.A.L. 4” jerk bait on a jig head provoke strikes. Top water enthusiasts Heddon spooks great life to provoke these drag screaming bullies.

Freshwater action is great for for peacock bass. Anglers can target docks, bridges and sea walls for explosive action. Live shiners or small twitch baits great tactics for these beautiful fish. Large mouth bass can be found on deeper edges and holes, DOA C.A.L. 8” black and blue trick work great choice for successful hook ups.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week. Hope you all enjoyed, remember you cant catch them from the couch. So get out there and get hooked up. Tight Lines! PhlatsInshoreFishing.com 5616444371, visit us on Facebook,Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.

Comment

• The past week has provided aid fishing and weather for anglers. The afternoon thunderstorms have been strong and provide plenty of rain. The rain has the fish fired up as the water temperatures cool and the oxygen levels rise.

Snook have been the main target, and anglers have enjoyed a great bite along docks and sea walls. Live greenies and DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail have been the bait of choice for linesiders. The snook are schooling up at times offering not stop action for anglers. The big snook are also on the move, they can be seen cruising shorelines and sea walls.

Tarpon have been plentiful in my area but the bite has been hit and miss for the silver king. Live baits like greenies and mullet provoke strikes and DOA bait busters also another great bait to present. The bite has been best on outgoing tide and the first of the incoming tide.

The freshwater lakes and canals are providing great action for peacock bass and largemouth bass. Live shad and shiners are primarily used artificial lures and flies get the bite as well. Shorelines and sea walls provide the best action for consistent hook ups.

Well that is the fishing report for the past, hope you all enjoyed. Remember you can’t catch them for the couch, so get out there and get hooked up. Tight Lines!

PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube. 5616444371

Comment

• The fishing in the Palm Beaches this past week offered a plethora of species for anglers. The weather has been beautiful plenty of sunshine, light winds and clean water. Hopefully our summer days will mimic what we’ve had.

The snook fishing has really fired up this past week. Docks, Seawalls, bridges and channels all holding plenty of fish. The snook will begin to spawn starting in June continuing through the summer. The beaches will hold plenty of fish anglers can target them using live bait and artificial lures like DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail and twitch baits.

The Back Bay’s and deeper channels are all holding great numbers of Tarpon. The Tarpon fishing has been great early in the morning and late in the afternoon using live bait and DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail in pearl. The bigger tarp and are holding in the inlets and along the beaches. Live crabs and Bullet will get the silver kings attention.

Freshwater fishing, the peacock bass bite is on fire the warm weather and warm water temperatures have the peacocks chewing live bait and artificial Lures. The peacocks are very aggressive striking top water plugs and for flyfisherman popper flies a great way to get explosive surface strikes.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week. Hope you all enjoyed, remember you can’t catch them from the couch. So get out there and get hooked up. Tight lines! PhlatsInshoreFishing.com 5616444371. Visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.

Comment

• The summer heat has arrived and the fishing is red hot. Inlets, beaches, ICW, offering a plethora of species for anglers to target.

The snook fishing has been fantastic, the past full moon of June has triggered the snook to Gather in the inlets and along the beaches. Live bates like mullet, croakers, pinfish and artificial lures like a DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail, excellent choices to get the strike. The snooK bite will continue to get better and better as we go through summer.

The tarpon are also another fish anglers can target, beaches offer the best shot at bigger fish 80 to 125 pounds. Inlets also a great spot to target Tarpon in the 30 to 90 pound range. Live mullet or live thread fan great Bates to use also DOA Bait busters and DOA Terror Eyz great artificial lures to get the tarpon chewing.

The inter coastal offers a plethora of species for anglers to target snook, drum, Tarpon, jacks, mackerel and sharks are willing to put a bend in the rod.

Gather up the family come enjoy great rod bending action in the Palm Beaches, freshwater trips for peacock bass and largemouth bass also available. Book your trip today!

Well that is a fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed. Remember you can’t catch them from the couch. So get out there and get hooked up. Tight lines! PhlatsInshoreFishing.com. Visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.

Comment

• I fished offshore, about twenty miles west of New Pass, onWednesday morning, 5/29, with Paul and Belinda Parks. It was sloppy headingout, despite a seas forecast of two feet, but it calmed down towardmid-morning. The couple used squid to catch two keeper lane snapper, and theyreleased two trigger fish that were 13 inches and 14 inches. They also releasedfour red grouper shorts, all around 17 inches. Belinda made an interesting“food-chain” catch when a squirrelfish bit her squid, and a groper then bit thesquirrelfish!

On Saturday morning, 6/8, I fished fifteen miles west of NewPass with Valoyd Glover. Seas were choppy, but tolerable, and Valoyd had hishopes up for catching something of size—He got his wish when he battled a300-pound goliath grouper that bit on cut-bait. He released that monsterboat-side, with a few photos and two sore arms to show for it! He also caught a27-inch king mackerel, which he released, along with two lane snapper, tencrevalle jacks to three pounds, and six true red snapper shorts about 11inches. The latter are usually not around so close to shore, so even thoughthey were small, it was an interesting find.

Wednesday morning, 6/12, I fished the backwaters of southernEstero Bay on a catch-and-release trip with Adam Martin. Using shrimp andpinfish, we released two 16-inch snook, a dozen mangrove snapper to12 inches,and a two-pound crevalle jack.

Lots and lots of rain fell over the weekend and into theearly part of this week. I headed offshore Tuesday morning, 6/18, to fish 19miles west of New Pass with Tony Costillo, his dad, Rick, and friend, Kyle. Weleft in sunny skies, but got caught in a thunderstorm mid-morning, which werode out and continued to fish. But the storm left behind some choppy seas tobattle on the way back to shore. The guys used squid to catch and release fivetriggerfish to 14 inches, six red grouper shorts to 17 inches, and a 20-inchgoliath grouper. As for food-fish, they got eight keeper grunts and one keeperlane snapper.

Wednesday morning, 6/19, I fished the backwaters of southernEstero Bay with Michael Quinlen, Jonas Stillman, and Hunter Rohand. The guysdid well with live shrimp, and caught four keeper sheepshead, all around 14inches and four keeper mangrove snapper to 11 inches. They also got what wouldhave been two keeper redfish at 20 inches and 21 inches, if not for the currentmoratorium on harvesting reds. So they released the reds, along with an 11-inchmutton snapper.

I returned to southern Estero Bay on Friday morning, 6/21, tofish inshore with Brady McFarland, his dad, Lee, and Brady’s son, Jaiden. Thefamily did well using live shrimp. They released two redfish at 19 inches and22 inches, and had a couple more of them hooked, but they cut the lineboat-side. They also caught seven keeper mangrove snapper to 12 inches, andboxed the four largest of those, along with a 15-inch black drum. They alsocaught six sheepshead to 14 inches, including two that were legal size, butthey chose to release them all, along with a 1 ½-pound crevalle jack.

Saturday morning, 6/22, I fished 22 miles west of New pass onan offshore trip with Charlie Tobler, his twin sons, and three of theirfriends. The guys used squid and cut-bait to box a half-dozen grunts and fourkeeper lane snapper. They released six red grouper shorts and an 8-foot nurseshark.

Gary Hourselt and Melissa Sawin fished 36 miles offshore withme on Monday, 6/24. Using cut-bait and squid, they caught six keeper grunts, sixkeeper lane snapper all around 11 inches, ten porgies to 24 inches, sixteenyellowtail snapper, including one keeper, a 14-inch keeper mangrove snapper,twenty red grouper shorts to 19 inches, and a 37-inch cobia (photo below.) They also releasedan 8-foot tiger shark, after a 45 minute battle.

Name:	resizedMelissaSawin37Cobia.JPG
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	10224

Captain Dave Hanson
                    Bonita Beach, FL
                    239 947-1688
                    fishbuster@comcast.net

Comment

• Mid July fishing has not disappointed anglers. The beaches, inlets, and Icw have offered a plethora of choices for anglers to put a bend in there rod.

The Inshore fishing has been full of action for anglers targeting Snook. The Snook continue to gather in our inlets and deep channels. The Snook are averaging 5 to 25 pounds. Live baits dropped to the bottom and DOA C.A.L. 4' jerk baits in bayou tiger rigged with a 3/8 ounce jig head bounced off the bottom will get you hooked up.

The Tarpon action has been great on the beach and inside the ICW for anglers looking to tango with the silver king. Look for rolling fish and present a live bait or jig in the area were fish are rolling. The Tarpon have ranged in size from 10 to 70 pounds. Always remember to bow down while a Tarpon is jumping to avoid the break offs and hooks pulling out.

The Docks and seawalls have provided great action for anglers using jigs and live baits. The Jacks, Snapper and a few Trout have been the main predators being caught. These fish have been ambushing bait schools as they look for shelter. Early morning and late afternoon has provided the best bite.

Freshwater action has been great for peacock bass and large mouth bass.. Peacock bass have been active along shorelines and drop offs striking live bait and small twitch baits. The clown knife and have also been a striking baist along bridge pilings and channel edges.

Well that is the report for the past week hope you all enjoyed. Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and get hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski, PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Comment

• On Wednesday morning, 7/3/19, I fished miles west of New Pass with Dwayne McCoy and his family and friends. Although seas were predicted to be less than two feet, that was not the case until it was nearly time to head in from our ½-day excursion. But we made it out to 23 miles, hoping for action similar to the last time I’d fished offshore, about a week prior to this trip. Fishing was slow, though, and we didn’t get many keepers. The guys boxed three grunts and three keeper lane snapper. They released a bunch of squirrel-fish, three triggerfish (out-of-season), five red grouper shorts, and a 3-foot blacknose shark. The spot where we caught the lanes might have been good for more of those, had the dolphins not decided to invade our fishing grounds! Everything bit on cut-bait and squid.

The bite was not much better when I returned offshore on Friday, 7/5. I fished with Peter and Christina Halunen, their son, Clayton, and Clayton’s girlfriend, Isabella. We only ventured out 17 miles from New Pass because seas were a little choppy and there was a visible threat of rain coming from further offshore. Using squid and cut-bait, the group caught and released three lane snapper shorts and three mangrove snapper shorts. We also a reeled in and released a live squid, which had grabbed a piece of cut-bait. Fishing offshore about a week ago, I was encouraged by the improved action and variety of catches, but recent trips have not yielded those results. Fishing action cycles, as all anglers know, and water temps are extremely warm right now.

Jake Heft and five of his friends fished 19 miles west of New Pass with me on Monday, 7/15, using cut-bait and squid. The guys boxed a 14-inch whiting, a 14-inch silver trout, four keeper lane snapper, and a 14-inch grunt. They released eight red grouper shorts and a 4-foot blacknose shark.

Ken Harrison, Jeff Norton, Rich Flaherty, and John Lovezzola fished the backwaters of southern Estero Bay with me on Saturday, 7/20, and had very good success using live shrimp for bait. The guys caught three keeper black drum at 15 inches, 16 inches, and 19 inches, released three redfish (due to a moratorium on harvesting reds) that included two at 18 inches and one at nearly 22 inches, two keeper sheepshead at 13 inches, a sand bream, and three keeper mangrove snapper to 12 inches.

Thursday morning, 8/1, I fished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters with the Thompson family: Brian and Cynthia and their son and daughter-in-law, Tristen and Kristen. They fished a catch-and-release trip, using live shrimp, and caught a nice variety. They released a 21-inch redfish, two black drum at 15 inches and 19 inches (see photo), six sheepshead to 12 inches, a sand bream, and a 17-inch snook.

Friday, 8/9, I fished 18 miles west of New Pass with Craig baker and three of his friends. The guys used cut-bait and squid to catch four mangrove snapper, including one keeper and six keeper lane snapper. They released a dozen juvenile red snapper and a pair of 12-inch triggerfish. We spotted two cobias, but they weren’t the least bit interested in our bait.

Captain Dave Hanson
                        Bonita Beach, FL
                        239 947-1688
                        fishbuster@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
                        X