Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Report 9/24/12

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Report 9/24/12
    By Wisconsin fishing charter Capt. Jim Hirt
    Milwaukee Fishing Remains Steady!
    Surface temperature is 60 degrees and the fish are in the harbor and out to 190 feet of water. To get my fish reports and how to videos first go to http://www.jimhirt.com By subscribing you will keep ahead of the other anglers. When I post you will get it fast!

Anglers are catching all species and you find the fish of your choice by working the temperature preference of your quarry. Reaper spoons by Badger Tackle have been the ticket out deep and in the harbor. Reaper spoons are made by
    http://www.badgertackle.com
    Presentations
    Our best presentations are 8 color Cortland lead core for Rainbows to 10 pounds on Church Walleye Planner boards. Downriggers 70 to 130 down for two and three year old Chinooks and divers set to #2 with 125 to 150 feet of line out with the ring. Fish have been on regular and magnum spoons in a blue and silver or green and silver pattern. Our best boat speed is 1.7 to 2.0 mph on the Depth Raider.
    Where!
    Water colder than 52 is out over 100 feet of water 70 feet and down. Set up in 100 feet and troll northeast. Whitefish Bay is the shortest distance to deep water. Harbor fishing is best at first light. On lumpy days you will find big spawning Chinook on plugs and spoons in the harbor. Out in front of the water filtration plant in 60 feet of water is a good option on calm days for small boat anglers. The water is warmer in 60 however this has not slowed the action. I caught big Chinooks to 16 pounds in that area over the weekend. Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at
    http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyrightę 2012, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Report 9/13/11

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Report 9/13/11

By Milwaukee Wisconsin fishing charter Capt. Jim Hirt
    Seven Days Of Northeast Wind Again!
    Warm water on northeast wind has again driven the feeding fish out to 165 feet and down 80 to 150 down. The fish are there for anglers willing to travel out seven miles to get them. The big 20 pound Chinooks are coming in with some action from 55 feet to the inner harbor. Glow spoons inside the break wall have been good at first light. Derek Gresenz landed his trophy Chinook of 21 pounds 3 ounces! Magnum Reapers in silver or glow on 100 foot leads my go to bait for shallow water. To get my fish reports and how to videos first go to http://www.jimhirt.com By subscribing you will keep ahead of the other anglers. When I post you will get it fast!

How
    My top producer out deep for all species is Reaper and Vulcan magnum spoons on 300 and 225 copper rods also down riggers 80 to 150 down with spoons. Big Chinooks in close to shore are hitting Reaper Magnum Fish Fry Glow spoons 100 feet behind the ball off downriggers 20 feet down. Looking for Reapers and Vulcans made by http://www.badgertackle.com you may only order them online. Try them their shipping is cheap and they arrive fast. My lead cores and coppers all run behind a Church Walleye Board. When fishing in close braid divers no ring set to #4 with 40 feet line out are working. I use the Depth Raider to measure speed at the ball. The boat speed of 2.0 to 2.2 has been best.

Where!
    Fish east out of Milwaukee north of the Filtration Plant 125 to 170 feet of water. Head out the Main gap Milwaukee 65 degrees for the best deep action. In close fish the harbor and harbor gaps at first light and move out to 40 to 55 feet when they turn up the lights. Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyrightę 2011, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 6/1/2009

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 6/1/2009
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    May ended with decent fishing for Chinook, Coho and Lake Trout. You may have to move around to get a respectable cooler of fish. Deep and shallow water are two different fisheries. Water Temperatures are coming up and this should improve the action on all species.

Patterns and program under 60 feet
    There are two different options for fishing, which should produce for all big and small boat anglers. Around the harbor break wall gaps we are taking Coho Chinook and Browns. This is an all spoon bite for Chinook on downriggers. With Coho coming on Church Walleye Planner Boards with 25-foot leads and 3/8-ounce weight. OO dodgers or 6-inch flashers and medium blue or green flies are my go to bait for Coho. When the gaps are slow move out east. Switch the presentation to five and eight color leadcore on boards or downriggers 25 to 48 down with all spoons. Our best spoons has been the blue and green Magnum Reaper Peacock or the Reaper Magnum Fish n Chip. Action has been in 50 to 60 feet. When the wind and waves keep you in, the gaps will produce. Water is still cold at 46 degrees and fish may be scattered.

Patterns and program 100 to 140 feet
    Out in the deeper water South and East of the main gap Milwaukee is the best fishing for Lake Trout and Coho. Our fish came on Magnum Reaper spoons for Lake Trout or OO dodgers or 6-inch flashers and medium blue or green flies for Coho. Experiment with lengths of the fly leader to the dodger or flasher. Start with 3 times the length of the attractor. The standard presentation for Coho is Church Walleye Planner Boards with 25-foot leads and 3/8-ounce weight. The water is very clear and you must run the spoons 50 to 100 behind the downrigger weight 70 to 100 down to get Lakers.
    Some of our best producing spoons have been Reaper Magnum Peacock Silver and Magnum Fish n Chip on sunny days. Try the Reaper Magnum Glow spoons on overcast cloudy days. For small spoons the Vulcan Dolphin Green Silver and combinations of silver spoons with green or blue accent colors. I tried plugs with no action. Run the boat speed at 1.9 to 2.3 MPH. Vulcans, Nestor Wobblers and Reapers are sold only on the web at http://www.badgertackle.com Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyrightę 2009, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Report 5/26/2009

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 5/26/2009
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    May fishing for Lake Trout has been steady and predictable with a few Chinooks to 18 pounds. We have been out over this Memorial Day weekend. Water Temperatures are coming up and this should improve the action on all species.

Patterns and program under 35 feet
    Here are two different options for fishing, which should produce for all big and small boat anglers. Around the harbor and in the break wall gaps mostly Browns. This is an all small spoon bite. Church Walleye Planner Boards with 25-foot leads and 3/8-ounce weight is taking browns from 3 to 10 pounds. Downriggers at all depths are also working. Slide Divers are also producing. Our best spoon has been the red and white Nestor Wobbler Sunburn Glow, Vulcan Bloody Nose Glow and Vulcan OL Sherbet. When the wind and waves keep you in, the gaps are options. The water flowing into Milwaukee harbor is 67 degrees the lake is 48.

Patterns and program 80 to 110 feet
    Out in the deeper water South and East of the main gap or Northeast of Milwaukee has held the best fishing for Lake Trout and Chinook 10 to 18 pounds. No action on Coho this weekend. Our fish came on Magnum and 3 inch spoons. Two, three, four, five and eight color leadcore or downriggers 12 to 48 down had action. The water is very clear and you must run the spoons 50 to 100 behind the downrigger weight to get fish.
    Some of our best producers have been Reaper Magnum Peacock Silver and Magnum Fish n Chip on sunny days. Try the Reaper Magnum Glow spoons on overcast cloudy days. For small spoons the Vulcan Dolphin Green Silver and combinations of silver spoons with green or blue accent colors. I tried plugs with no action. Run the boat speed at 2.1 to 2.4 MPH. Vulcans, Nestor Wobblers and Reapers are sold only on the web at http://www.badgertackle.com Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyrightę 2009, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Report 5/19/2009

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 5/19/2009
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    May fishing is improving and action on Chinooks has been good. We have been out everyday for the six days. Tons of baitfish around and this should crank up the action.

Patterns and program under 35 feet
    Here are two different options for fishing, which should produce for all big and small boat anglers. Around the harbor and in the break wall gaps mostly Browns with some Chinook and post spawn Rainbows. This is an all small spoon bite. Church Walleye Planner Boards with 25-foot leads and 3/8-ounce weight is taking browns from 3 to 10 pounds. Downriggers at all depths are also working. Slide Divers are producing very well set to #3 with 35 feet of line out. Our best spoon has been the red and white Nestor Wobbler Sunburn Glow, Vulcan Bloody Nose Glow and Vulcan OL Sherbet. When the wind and waves keep you in the gaps are options. The water flowing into Milwaukee harbor is 66 degrees the lake is 46.

Patterns and program 45 to 60 feet
    Out in the deeper water South and East of the main gap Milwaukee has held the best fishing for Chinook 10 to 18 pounds and Lake Trout. All our fish came on Magnum spoons. Two, three, four and five color leadcore or downriggers 12 to 45 down had action. The water is very clear and you must run the spoons 50 to 100 behind the downrigger weight to get fish.
    Some of our best producers have been Reaper Magnum Peacock Silver and Magnum Fish n Chip on sunny days. Try the Reaper Magnum Glow spoons on overcast cloudy days. Run the boat speed slow in the 1.8 to 2.1 MPH for the cold water. I tried plugs and flasher flies with no action. Vulcans, Nestor Wobblers and Reapers are sold only on the web at http://www.badgertackle.com Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyrightę 2009, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 5/11/200

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 5/11/2009
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    May fishing is good. On the overcast days the number of fish are better. We have been out every other day for the last week. Mostly Browns with some Lake Trout and Coho. The Browns are coming on Vulcan Bloody Nose Glow spoons inside and outside the harbor, with Coho on small spoons like the OL Sherbet. We fished in the rain Saturday and action was good. The water flowing into Milwaukee harbor is 64 degrees the lake is 44. We have been fishing the temp breaks in front of the harbor gaps marking fish at all depths. Picked up a couple of fish in 30 feet of water on the Filtration Plant reef also. Our best presentations are Church Walleye planer boards with 25 foot leads behind the boards and downriggers 20 to 25 feet down. The fish have been very picky for spoon color and size. Some of our best producers have been Vulcan Bloody Nose, OL Sherbet, Orange Slush and Reaper Cheese Weasel sold at http://www.badgertackle.com also Michigan Stinger silver orange spoons. Inside the harbor and depending on wind direction the north and south gaps are producing fish. The fish at the north gap came on small spoons. Silver blue spoons worked best for us running 60 feet behind the ball on downriggers 8-15 feet down. Our best boat speed was 2.4 mph. Slide Divers are producing very well set to #1 with 35 feet of line out. Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyrightę 2009, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 5/3/2009

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 5/3/2009
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    April fishing is good to ok could be better. Most of our charter trips are catching 4 to 7 fish. Mostly Browns with some Lake Trout, Rainbows and Chinooks. The 4 year old Chinooks are coming on Reaper Magnum Fish Fry Glow spoons inside the harbor. We fished clear skies Saturday wind was west. The water flowing into Milwaukee harbor is 54 degrees. We have been fishing the temp breaks in front of the river mouth and harbor gaps marking fish at all depths. Picked up a couple of fish in 30 feet of water on the filter also. Our best presentations are Church Walleye planer boards with 25 foot leads behind the boards and downriggers 20 to 25 feet down. The way I set up a planer board is with 20 lb. mono to a 1/4-ounce bead chain sinker. Use 6 feet of 15 lb. Seaguar fluorocarbon leader from the sinker to a size #1 Cross Lock snap and lure. The fish have been very picky and this changes day to day. Some of our best producers have been Vulcan OL Sherbet, Orange Slush and Reaper Cheese Weasel sold at http://www.badgertackle.com also Michigan Stinger Natural Born Killer and most of their silver orange spoons. Inside the harbor and depending on wind direction the north and south gaps are producing fish. The fish at the north gap came on small spoons. Silver blue spoons worked best for us running 60 feet behind the ball on downriggers 8-15 feet down. Our best boat speed was 2.2 mph. Slide Divers are producing very well set to #2 with 30 feet of line out. Have a great fishing season. Let's go fishing!! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyrightę 2009, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 10/15/08

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 10/15/2008
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    The two and three year-old Chinooks have been active with action in 90 to 210 feet. This has been an all spoon bite. Work from 50 to 160 down on Magnum Fish N Chip Silver and Fish Fry Glow spoons. Read my report to get the best tips and presentations for the silver Chinooks.
    We are catching mostly Chinook, Lake Trout and Brown Trout. The main and north gap Milwaukee has been holding some Brown Trout but that area has been slow. Our most productive presentation at the gaps has been Reaper Magnum Silver or glow spoons. The best colors are Peacock, Fish N Chip and Green Fox Glow.
    The best action is to go deep to 150 feet and deeper. We are fishing north off the Filtration Plant. Downriggers, divers and 10-color leadcore are all working. To optimize this presentation troll slow at 1.8 to 2.0 MPH. The Reaper Spoons work very well at these slow speeds and slower is better most of the time for Chinook. I run my divers set at #1 with 150 feet of line out. Downriggers 60 to 160 down are also productive. First light and last light fishing will yield the most fish on the sunny days.
    You must check the water temps look for cooler water. Most of the water is 60 degrees. We are finding our fish in this warm water. On Saturday the fish were 50 to 165 down and Sunday about the same. Church Walleye planer boards with 10 colors Cortland Kerplunk leadcore are taking Chinook. Leadcore with magnum spoons has been my best producer on sunny calm water days.
    For anglers that have not tried the Reaper and Vulcan spoons from Badger Tackle.com I recommend you give them a try. They are offering a buy 4 and get 1 free at this time. The fish out deep ranged in size from 5 to 12 pounds. The only place you will find Reaper and Vulcan spoons is on the Badger Tackle web site at http://www.badgertackle.com Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. With Blue Max Charters He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com I am always available for a comment or update. Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 10/8/08

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 10/8/2008
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    The last four days two and three year-old Chinooks have been active with action in 150 to 200 feet. This has been an all spoon bite. Work from 25 to 60 down on Magnum Fish N Chip and Fish Fry spoons. Read my report to get the best tips and presentations for the silver Chinooks. I do have openings on my schedule to put you on some great eaters in the 5 to 12 pound size give me a call.
    We fished every day the last four days catching mostly Chinook and Brown Trout. The main and north gap Milwaukee has been holding some Brown Trout but that area has been slow. We did pick up this 15 pound 9 ounce Brown. It was caught by David Miller of KC Missouri. Our most productive presentation at the gaps has been Reaper Magnum Silver or glow spoons. The best colors are Peacock, Fish N Chip and Green Fox Glow.
    The best action is to go deep to 150 feet and deeper. We are fishing due east off the US Bank building. I tried north but found better action south. Downriggers, divers and 10-color leadcore are all working. To optimize this presentation troll slow at 1.8 to 2.0 MPH. The Reaper Spoons work very well at these slow speeds and slower is better most of the time for Chinook. I run my divers set at #2 with 150 feet of line out. Downriggers 30 to 60 down are also productive. First light and last light fishing will yield the most fish on the sunny days.
    You must check the water temps look for cooler water. Most of the water is 60 degrees. We are finding our fish in this warm water. On Saturday the fish were 30 to 65 down and Sunday about the same. Church Walleye planer boards with 10 colors Cortland Kerplunk leadcore are taking Chinook. Leadcore with magnum spoons has been my best producer on sunny calm water days.
    For anglers that have not tried the Reaper and Vulcan spoons from Badger Tackle.com I recommend you give them a try. They are offering a buy 4 and get 1 free at this time. The fish out deep ranged in size from 5 to 12 pounds. The only place you will find Reaper and Vulcan spoons is on the Badger Tackle web site at http://www.badgertackle.com Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. With Blue Max Charters He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com I am always available for a comment or update. Thanks!!

Blog Entries

Default Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 9/29/08

Milwaukee Fishing Lake Michigan Salmon Reports 9/29/2008
    By Capt. Jim Hirt
    The last six days four-year-old Chinooks have been active with action in the gaps and out to 40 feet. Work the areas near the gaps with Reaper Spoons and plugs. Read my report on to get the best tips and presentations for the biggest Chinooks of the season. I do have openings on my schedule to put you on trophy kings give me a call.
    We fished every day the last six days catching Chinook, Coho, Lakers and Brown Trout. The main and north gap Milwaukee has been the magnet for fish. Our most productive presentation is Reaper Magnum Silver or glow spoons. The best colors are Peacock, Fish N Chip and Green Fox Glow. To optimize this presentation troll slow at 1.8 to 2.0 MPH. I run my Slide Divers set at #2 with fifteen foot leads and forty feet of line out. Downriggers are a staple in gap fishing. Set them to cover every five feet from top to bottom. Short leads of ten feet on the bottom lines and longer leads on the higher lines. I like to set my highest line 60 feet behind the ball. Chinook to 25 pounds are possible but they average 15 pounds. The best days for an all day bite have been overcast. First light and last light is hot on the sunny days.
    Another option for you, if the gap fishing is slow, try going deep to 60 feet of water and fishing 25 to 50 down. Spoons, plugs and flasher flies are all working. You must check the water temps. On Saturday the fish were 25 to 42 down and Sunday about the same. The area south of the Filtration Plant has been best. The silver and glow Reaper Magnum Spoons will get the job done. Once again slow the boat down to 1.8 t0 2.0 MPH. The Reaper spoons mix very well with flasher flies and I usually mix them up and down the water column. White flashers with white flies have been working. . Church Walleye planer boards with 5, 8 and 10 colors Cortland Kerplunk leadcore are taking all species. Leadcore with magnum spoons has been my best producer on sunny calm water days.