Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida

Monday, 2/25, brothers Ed and Fred Armstrong had planned tofish offshore with me. A weather front came through the area over-night,however, and kicked up winds to about 25 knots, with very rough conditionsoffshore. So the guys decided to fish in Estero Bay’s backwaters instead. Eventhe bay was challenging for fishing that morning. The tide which was supposedto turn around at 9AM, never did so, and the wind was sucking the water out ofthe bay. The guys managed to catch eight sheepshead, on live shrimp, but onlyone was a keeper at 13 inches. The rest of the sheepies were about ½-inch shortof keeper-size, and had to be released. The guys also released a crevalle jack.

It was just a little less windy on Tuesday morning, 2/26,than it had been the day before. I fished the backwaters of southern Estero Baywith Charles Vanenbossche, his brother, Brian, and their parents, Mike andSandy. The family caught eleven sheepshead, including four keepers, on liveshrimp. They lost three or four others when the hook pulled out, as theysometimes do when sheepshead are hooked in the lip.

Wednesday morning, 2/27, I returned to the south end ofEstero Bay, this time to fish with Dennis Mascioli and his friends, Vince andGary on a catch-and-release trip. The sheepshead bite was slower than it hasbeen recently, but the guys released four sheepies to 14 inches, and lost oneredfish to a broken line.

Long-time customers, Ron Musick, Eddie Alfonso, and RichardArnett fished 33 miles offshore with me on Thursday, 2/28. The guys used cutbait and squid to catch twenty nice porgies to 24 inches, along with threekeeper lane snapper and a few grunts.

Dave Carr and his friends, Chuck and Wayne, fished 20 milesoffshore with me on Friday morning, March 1st. They used frozen shrimp andsquid to catch twenty-five grunts to 14 inches, and put a dozen of those in thefish box for fish tacos. They released the rest, along with several ladyfish,four red grouper shorts, two lane snapper shorts and one mangrove snappershort.

Frequent customer, Mike Connealy, fished 33 miles west of NewPass with me on Monday, 3/4. The winds had picked up over the weekend, and wehad some hefty swells heading out, along with some choppy seas for a while. Thebig porgies were biting, but the goliath grouper were competing with us forthose, and they got the largest of them. Still, we managed to box seven niceporgies to 18 inches, and we released four smaller ones. We added a keeper lanesnapper to the box. We also released one short yellowtail snapper, a smallsheepshead, and one red grouper short.

Fishing was really tough in Estero Bay Tuesday morning, 3/5,when I fished with Gary Hourselt and his son, Nick. The father-son team hadfished the backwaters with me before, and had done well with catching largesheepshead. They had planned to fish offshore this time, but a weather frontthat resulted in small craft advisories nixed that plan. So we headed intosouthern Estero Bay for a catch and release trip that yielded little more thansmall sheepshead in wind and tide conditions that were far from ideal.

Wednesday and Thursday, 3/6 and 3/7, brought a cold frontwith small craft advisories offshore, dead-low tides in the bay, and frigidmornings. Both of those planned offshore trips cancelled. So, it was Fridaybefore I got back on the water. Mike and Bethany Tank fished offshore with meon Friday, 3/8, the first day in a while that has been calm enough to headoffshore. We still experienced some choppy seas at first, but it calmed downnicely in the afternoon. Using shrimp, the couple fished 33 miles west of NewPass, and had a productive day. They caught ten porgies, all 14 inches to 18inches, and three king mackerel, including two at 29 inches and one at 42inches. They released a half-dozen yellowtail snapper shorts. We also got intosome lesser amberjacks, catching and releasing five of those to 25 inches, andwe spotted a huge amberjack, about five foot long. Originally, I thought theywere almaco jacks, but I sent the photos to a fish I.D. expert, who is prettycertain they were lesser amberjacks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizedBethanyTank25Almaco.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	2963

Mike Jansen and extended family members, Chris and his youngson, Colton, and Matt and his young daughter, Lily, fished 19 miles west of NewPass with me on a pretty calm morning offshore on Monday, 3/11. The family hadfun catching grunts on shrimp, and boxed over twenty of those, around 12inches. They released a dozen red grouper shorts.

Sandy Mintz treated his grandson, Tyler Karkowski, to a catch-and-release,backwater fishing trip in southern Estero Bay on Tuesday, 3/12.They used liveshrimp to catch and release an 18-inch snook, a crevalle jack, and fivesheepshead to nearly 15 inches.

It was extremely windy on Wednesday, 3/13, and seas werepredicted to be two-to-three feet close to shore, but I knew they would berougher than that. Ian McKinnon and family said they didn’t mind braving roughseas, having fished many rough days on the Great Lakes. So, we headed out toseven miles over rocky bottom so the kids could have fun at least catching amess of grunts. They used squid to catch twenty-two of those, which was plentyfor fish tacos!

Thursday, 3/14, was way too rough to head offshore with myplanned trip, and I remained in port. Friday morning, 3/15, winds were onlyslightly calmer, and there was light rain for a couple hours, but Mark Ginnardand friends decided to brave it offshore anyway. We couldn’t get out too far,due to rough seas, and our near-shore catches included grunts and blue runners—not a whole lot to brag about. Buteveryone had fun catching and releasing what was there, using squid for bait.

A weather front moved through the area overnight Sunday,causing winds and seas to kick up again, and forcing Kristen Leesman, herparents, on and Cathy, and her fiancé, Tom McGuire to change their offshoreplans to inshore fishing instead. The family used live shrimp in southernEstero Bay to catch and release a brace of 20-inch snook, along with a crevallejack. They boxed ten keeper mangrove snapper to 12 inches.

After a rainy, windy, chilly day on Tuesday, which caused meto cancel my scheduled fishing trip, Paul Stanek, his brother, Rich, and Rich’swife, Jill, fished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters with me on Wednesdaymorning, 3/20. The family used live shrimp to catch eight keeper sheepshead to20 inches and a 14-inch black drum. They boxed the four largest sheepshead andreleased everything else.

Friends of long-time customer Joe Hahn, Darren, Greg andSpencer, fished on a very windy Thursday, 3/21, with me in southern Estero Bay,on a catch-and-release trip, using live shrimp. They guys released fifteensheepshead to 18 inches, along with a mangrove snapper and an 18-inch sailcat.

Bill & Terry Tank, frequent and long-time customers,fished southern Estero Bay with me on Friday morning, 3/22, using live shrimpfor bait. They caught five sheepshead, including two keepers to 17 inches, andtwo black drum, including one keeper at 15 inches. Terry landed a 19-inchredfish, which would have been a keeper, if not for the current moratorium onharvesting redfish.

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net
    http://www.fishbustercharters.com

Spring weather has taken over the palm beaches, sunshine, moderate winds and longer days on the water.

Snook are the main attraction offering anglers plenty of bent rods and memories to take home. Docks, sea walls, flats and mangrove shorelines all areas to find snook ambushing bait schools. Live baits, fly and DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail on a 1/4 ounce jig head common arsenal. Snook are active from sunrise to sunset keeping anglers smiling all day.

Tarpon are gathering in channels striking live baits free lined with the tide. DOA bait busters another great bait to get hooked up with the silver king. The juvenile tarpon are abundant in the back bays and canals, as the bigvtaron ranging from 60 to 110 are in inlets and deeper channels.

The big jacks are active striking mullet along sea walls and shallow flats. The jacks are explosive and bigger spinning gear is a must do to the size of the jacks ranging from 15 to 30 pounds.

Freshwater the water levels are low in lake okeechobee, so most of the fishing has been done in local lake and canals. DOA C.A.L 8” trick worm in watermelon red glitter rigged Texas style the go to bait. Peacock bass and clown knife fish are being caught along sea walls and bridge pilings using live baits.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed. Remember you can’t catch them from the couch, so get out there and get hooked up. Tight
    Lines! PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 5616444371. Visit us on Facebook, instagram and Twitter.

The weather has been superb, plenty of sunshine, happy fish and smiling anglers.

Snook fishing is stellar along mangrove shorelines, docks and seawalls. Top water lures, DOA C.A.L. 3” shad and live baits have been the main forage. Anglers have been catching three different species of snook, thee are four species total. The snook are also active along shorelines making for great fly fishing. The bite will stay strong as water temperatures continue to warm.

Tarpon continue to gather along channel edges and back bays. The main tactic has been live bait but DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail glow / gold rush belly also trigger strikes. The inlets are holding bigger tarpon, live mullet freelined gets the drag screaming.

The intercostal waterway is teaming with big jacks, drum, snapper, mackerel, sheepshead and many other species. Jigging or live baits provide bent rods.

Freshwater action is great for largemouth along drop offs and grassy edges. DOA C.A.L. 4” jerk baits rigged weedless and small top water baits both work great. The clown knife fish and crappie have been teaming along seawalls and bridges.

Well that is the report for the past week hope you all enjoyed. Remember you can’t catch them from the couch, so get out there and get hooked up. Tight Lines!

PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 5616444371 visit us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Craig and Jan Royal and their son, Dan, along with Craig’sdad, Ron, fished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters with me on Monday, 2/4/19.The family used live shrimp to catch four nice, keeper sheepshead, two at 14inches and two at 17 inches. They also caught a keeper, 12-inch mangrovesnapper.

Gary Zwicky and his friend, Shocky, fished the backwaters ofsouthern Estero Bay with me on Tuesday morning, 2/5. They used live shrimp tocatch four sheepshead, two of which were 15-inch keepers, along with one keepermangrove snapper.

I fished offshore for the first time in a good while onWednesday, 2/6. Scott Cooper and Gary Haugen used squid and cut-bait 36 mileswest of New Pass to catch a good variety of fish. They released thirty-eightred grouper shorts to 19 inches, along with a 20-inch gag grouper, a yellowtailsnapper short, and a brace of 15-inch triggerfish. They boxed a half dozen nicesized grunts, along with six porgies in the 14-inch to 15-inch range, and twokeeper lane snapper. They also caught and released a two-foot long remora thatwas hitchhiking on a shark that ate a fish we had on the line.

Craig Kinnick and two of his friends fished 24 miles west ofNew Pass with me on Thursday morning, 2/7, using squid and cut-bait. The bitewas a little slow, but they caught enough grunts to take him for fish tacos,and they released several red grouper shorts and a lot of baitfish, such assand perch and squirrel-fish.

Friday morning, 2/8, long-time customers, Robin Latham andChris Welch, fished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters with me, using liveshrimp. They caught four sheepshead, including three keepers from 13 inches to18 inches, and released a ladyfish.

Neil and Jayne Muschett fished near-shore with me, thirteenmiles west of New Pass, on a windy Monday morning, 2/11. The couple used squidto box fifteen good-sized grunts, perfect for the fish tacos they had planned.They released two red grouper shorts, along with a brace of five-pound goliathgroupers.

Danny and Mary Walter fished 24 miles offshore with me onTuesday morning, 2/12. They used squid to box sixteen large grunts, andreleased half a dozen red grouper shorts, before the winds and seas kicked upand we called it a day.

After a rainy day on Wednesday, 2/13 that cancelled out myfishing plans for that day, friends, Daniel Prischmann, Sharon Johnson, andLyle Crider fished the backwaters of south Estero Bay with me on Valentines’day morning, 2/13. The group used live shrimp to catch eleven sheepshead,including seven keepers to 16 inches.

George and Diane Van Der Linden, jointed by their son anddaughter-in-law, Drew and Amanda, fished near-shore at the reefs with me onFriday morning, 2/15. We used frozen shrimp and squid, and caught mostly smallstuff for a while, including some grunts, lane snapper, and bait-fish. We werethinking it was going to be kind of a slow morning when, all of a sudden,something big grabbed George’s shrimp. That turned out to be a 40-inch cobia,the first one I have seen in a good while, and good for many nice cobia steaks.

George Sloan II, his son George III, grandson George IV, andfamily friend, Mark Sommerville, fished in southern Estero Bay with me onSaturday morning, 2/16. The guys used live shrimp to catch a dozen sheepshead,including seven keepers in the 13 to 16-inch range. They also caught a 24-inchSpanish mackerel, and released a 14-inch bluefish.

Robin Latham and his seven-year-old grandson, Dylan, fishedsouthern Estero Bay with me on Monday morning, 2/18. They used live shrimp tocatch sixteen sheepshead, and kept the ten largest of those, all between 14 and18 inches. They also released four ladyfish, a crevalle jack, and a 17-inchredfish.

Danny and Mary Walter, who fished offshore with me last Tuesday, decided to trysome backwater fishing on Tuesday morning, 2/19. The couple did very well usinglive shrimp to catch nine keeper sheepshead to 18 inches. They released eightsmaller ones, along with four ladyfish. They also caught two nice pompano, bothabout 17 inches.

Roy Mittman, who usually fishes offshore with me, fishedsouthern Estero Bay’s backwaters instead, along with his friend, Rich Borgatti,on Wednesday morning, 2/20. Seas offshore were forecast to be three to fourfeet, so the bay seemed like a much better option. It proved to be fruitful:The guys used live shrimp to catch fifteen sheepshead, including six keepers to19 inches. They caught a 17-inch pompano, and they released a 19-inch redfish(due to the current moratorium on harvesting redfish.)

Long-time customers, Craig and Jan Royal, joined by theirbrother-in-law and his wife, Curt and Barbara Claassen, fished 31 milesoffshore with me on Thursday, 2/21. We had a great day—the best offshore day ina while—and the group caught a nice variety of fish. Using shrimp, they caughtseven keeper mangrove snapper to 16 inches, along with fifteen yellowtailsnapper that included a 14-inch keeper. Using cut-bait, they caught a mess offifteen grunts, all around 12 inches, one keeper-sized sheepshead, and fivenice porgies—unfortunately a shark helped himself to the biggest porgy, leavingus to reel in only its head. The group also caught two keeper porkfish,including the biggest porkfish I have ever seen, at 17 ¼ inches.

Gary Hourselt and his dad, Richard, fished southern EsteroBay’s backwaters with me on Friday morning, 2/22. Using live shrimp, the guyscaught a dozen keeper sheepshead, with two of the largest measuring 19 inches.They released eight smaller sheepshead, along with a nearly 19-inch redfish.

Dr. Meir Daller, his wife, Rie, their two sons, Julian andBrenden, and a friend of the boys’, Joey, fished 33 miles west of New Pass withme on Saturday. They used frozen shrimp and squid to catch a brace of 15-inchporgies, a 13-inch mangrove snapper, and a dozen good-size grunts. The winningcatch was a 50-inch, 60 pound cobia, which bit on a small grunt. There werethree cobia around the boat, and Meir managed to land the largest of the three(see photo below.) We also released an 8-foot sandbar shark.

Name:	resizedMeirDaller50Cobia.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	2960

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

On Monday, 1/14, I headed offshore with Bill Conklin and histwo friends, Mark and Susan. NOAA had forecast seas of two to three feet welloffshore, but even out just eighteen miles from New Pass, we encountered seasof three to four feet. We didn’t head out any further than that, due to roughconditions. The group used cut-bait and squid to box a dozen grunts, andreleased a red grouper short and a remora.

Thursday, 1/17, I headed out about 22 miles from New Passwith long-time customers Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso. The seas were calmingdown, after a few days of rough ones, but it was still a little choppy. Theguys used cut-bait and squid to box fourteen nice porgies to 14 inches, alongwith a mess of grunts. They released a few red grouper shorts, along withfifteen yellowtail snapper shorts and one short mangrove snapper.

Frequent customers Mike and Clint Connealy fished welloffshore with me on Friday, 1/18, in spots ranging from 35 to 40 miles west ofNew Pass. The father-son anglers used squid and cut-bait to catch and release31 red grouper shorts, and they boxed ten porgies to 15 inches, and released anequal amount, having no need to keep that many fish. They added to the fish boxone keeper yellowtail snapper.

Saturday morning, 1/19, seas began to build ahead of anothercold front due to arrive Sunday into Monday. It was choppy 19 miles west of NewPass, where I fished with Allison Kelly, her boyfriend, Dan, and her parents,Kerry and Kevin Kelly. The group used squid and cut-bait to box a dozen nicegrunts and a keeper lane snapper. They released thirteen red grouper shorts, afew sand perch, and a 13-inch triggerfish.

High winds and rough seas, ushering in the next cold front tohit our area, caused Randy Mueller and his son, Coby, to exchange theiroffshore fishing plans for backwater fishing on Friday, 1/25. We fishedsouthern Estero Bay, using live shrimp, and the guys caught five sheepshead,including three keepers at 13 inches, 14 inches and 17 inches. They also boxeda 20-inch seatrout, the first seatrout I have seen in a good while (See photo below.)

Name:	resizedCobyMueller20Trout.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	2959

After many days of rough seas, NOAA forecasted calmer seas onTuesday, 1/29. But, Joe Kovach and his dad, Paul, didn’t trust the forecast,and neither did I, after seeing that seas were very rough the previous day, andpredicted to get back to 4 feet on Wednesday. So the guys decided to fish thebackwaters instead. We fished an outgoing tide in southern Estero Bay, usinglive shrimp. The guys caught five sheepshead, including three keepers to 16inches.

Steve and Beth Wilson, joined by their friends, Steve andJudy Sonda, fished southern Estero Bay‘s backwaters with me on Thursday, 1/31.The sheepshead bite was on and, using live shrimp, the group caught fourteenkeeper sheepshead to 19 inches.

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Tuesday morning, 12/4/18, just ahead of a cold front due toarrive in the afternoon, I fished 20 miles west of New Pass with Ralph Marino,Bud Mulchy, and their friends, Ed and John. The guys used squid and cut-bait tocatch six keeper lane snapper, two bluefish to 20 inches, twenty-six grunts, atriggerfish, and six red grouper shorts. They boxed the lanes and the grunts,and released the rest.

Long-time customers, Erwin and Millie Matusiak, fishedsouthern Estero Bay with me on a chilly, windy Wednesday morning, 12/5. Theyused live shrimp to catch eight sheepshead to 14 inches, including fivekeepers, and they released two redfish shorts and a crevalle jack.

Rich and Marnie Henke and their two sons, Anthony and Lucas,fished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters with me on Monday, 12/10. The familyused live shrimp to catch two redfish, 18 inches and 20 inches, which wouldhave been keepers if not for the current moratorium on harvesting reds. So wereleased those, along with an 18-inch snook, one mangrove snapper short, andtwo crevalle jacks. Sheepshead action was steady, and the family caught ten ofthose, including two keepers at 14 inches and 15 inches.

Long-time and frequent customer, Mike Connealy had hoped tofish offshore on Wednesday, 12/12, but seas were four foot, even near-shore, sowe opted for the backwaters instead. Mike used live shrimp to catch twentysheepshead, including three keepers measuring 14 to 16 inches. He also caughtand released a crevalle jack and two puffer fish.

Between a couple days off for the holidays and a whole bunchof very gusty winds and rough seas, there wasn’t another opportunity to get outfishing until Wednesday, 12/26. Even on that day, there were high winds andseas, so the Ketchum family—Steve and Mary and their sons, Connor and Cameron--changed their offshore fishing plans to inshore fishing instead. Using liveshrimp on a catch-and-release trip in southern Estero Bay’s backwaters, thefamily released ten sheepshead to 14 inches, three redfish shorts, three smallsnook, and two crevalle jacks.

Seas were still rough on Thursday, 12/27, so Ian McKinnon andhis young grandsons, along with a few other family members, fished inshoreinstead of fishing offshore as they had planned. The group used live shrimp insouthern Estero Bay to catch and release two redfish shorts to 18 inches, a15-inch snook, four crevalle jacks, and four sheepshead to 11 inches.

Winds kept blowing hard overnight and into Friday, so Ifished the backwaters of southern Estero Bay again on Friday, 12/28, this timewith Frank Fanta and family and friends. The group of four used live shrimp tocatch two keeper sheepshead at 14 inches and 16 inches, and they released sheepshorts, a 17-inch black drum, a 17-inch redfish, and ten crevalle jacks.

I finally got offshore on Saturday morning, 12/29, but thebite was slow, even at some of my most productive snapper holes. WojciechLewndowski and five of his buddies fished in several spots out to 25 miles westof New Pass, using squid and cut-bait. The guys did box twenty grunts and akeeper-sized lane snapper to take home for meals, but the only other catcheswere ten red grouper shorts, which we released. The other boats around usseemed to be having no better luck. Perhaps the recent winds and rough seas hadthe gulf stirred up. In any case, we were glad to get some fish in the cooler,but we’d have liked some better action.

The first trip of the New Year was an offshore one onWednesday, 1/2/19, with Brian and Tracy Matlock, their young sons, Graham andIman, and friend John Royer and his young son, Eli. The group used squid andcut bait eighteen miles west of New Pass to catch three mangrove snapper,including one keeper at 15 inches. They added ten good-sized grunts to the fishbox, and they released five red grouper shorts, a 14-inch mutton snapper short,and a 17-inch bluefish.

I fished 18 to 23 miles offshore from New Pass withlong-time, seasonal customer Ron Musick, for his first trip of the season onThursday morning, 1/3. Fishing was still a bit slow, but we boxed a dozengrunts and released a half-dozen red grouper shorts, all of which bit on squid.

The photo shown is of Barry Cermak with a 20-inch porgy,caught on squid on a recent offshore Fishbuster Charter.

Name:	resizedBarryCermak20Porgy.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	2958
    http://fishbustercharters.com/image/resizedBarryCermak20Porgy.JPG

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

I fished offshore for the first time in many weeks on Friday, 10/19/18, when I headedout to various spots out to 26 miles from New Pass with father and son, Danieland Josh Koppy. The bite was kind of slow, but at least it was improved overthe last time I fished offshore, which was at the peak of the red tide. Theguys used cut bait and squid to catch and release fifteen grunts, two redgrouper shorts, two ramoras, and a 40-inch blacknose shark. Hopefully, with redtide now out of the area, fishing will continue to improve.

On Wednesday, 10/24, I fishedoffshore again, this time with Patrick Keane and three of his friends. The guyswere in town for business, and managed to squeeze in a morning ofcatch-and-release fishing 22 miles west of New Pass. NOAA’s forecast for calm,two-foot seas was off by a foot or two, and waters were choppy. The guys usedsquid and cut-bait to catch and release several red grouper shorts, blue runners,and a half dozen grunts.

On Wednesday, 10/31, I had plannedto fish inshore, but my trip for the day turned out to be a no-show. Hopefullywe got that lack of consideration over with early this season, and everyoneelse will have the consideration to call and cancel if their plans change ;-)

Thursday, 11/1, I fished thebackwaters of southern Estero Bay on a catch-and-release trip with Dave Mercer,Mike Stanbrough, Rod Knudson, and Danny Yanecek. The guys used live shrimp on agood tide to catch and release twenty sheepshead, including ten would-bekeepers to 17 inches, along with three mangrove snapper shorts and a 24-inchredfish. Redfish cannot be harvested until at least May, due to theirpopulations having been decreased during this past summer’s red tide outbreak.

Friday, 11/2, I returned to thesouthern part of Estero Bay to fish another catch-and-release trip with MattMiller and his young son, Bobby. Using live shrimp, the father-son team caughtand released eighteen fish, including a pair of 16-inch sheepshead, a 19-inchsheepshead, thirteen smaller sheepshead, a small snook, and a two-poundcrevalle jack.

Saturday, 11/3, the Kilkearycousins—Jake, Keith, Mike, and Andy-- had planned to fish offshore, but a coolfront that came through the area kicked seas up to three-to-five feet in thegulf, with a small craft advisory issued. So we changed plans and fishedinshore instead. The guys caught and released seven sheepshead to 15 inches,all of which bit on live shrimp.

Friday, 11/9, I fished 28 milesoffshore with long-time customer, Mike Connealy. We used squid and cut bait tocatch and release seven blacknose sharks, all about 40 inches, a 24-inch kingmackerel, seven red grouper shorts, and five 12-inch grunts, along with someshort lane snapper. We did also catch two keeper lanes at 12 inches each, andtwo 12-inch keeper porgies.

Sunday morning, 11/11, I fishedthe backwaters of southern Estero Bay with Jacob Robins. We used live shrimp tocatch eleven sheepshead to 13 inches, and released a half-dozen mangrovesnapper shorts.

Monday, 11/12, I fished 35 mileswest of New Pass with Mike Connealy, who had fished with me last Friday. Thistime, Mike was joined by his friend, Barry Cermak. The guys used cut-bait andsquid to catch fifteen yellowtails, two of which were keepers, along with fourmangrove snapper, one of which was a 15-inch keeper, six nice porgies to 20inches, and a 14-inch grunt. They released a dozen red grouper shorts, tworemoras, and a 36-inch bonnethead shark.

Friday morning, 11/23, I fishedthe backwaters of southern Estero Bay with Tom and Alice Hart, and their sonand daughter-in-law, Paul and Liz Hart. The family used live shrimp to catchfifteen sheepshead, including four keepers, and released two black drum and a redfish pup.

Saturday morning, 11/24, I fishedoffshore, 19 miles west of New Pass, with Todd and Jennifer Tinker and theiryoung son, Luke. The family used cut-bait and squid to catch five keeper lanesnapper to 16 inches, a 14-inch triggerfish, a dozen 12-inch grunts, and adozen red grouper shorts. They boxed the legals, released the others, and wenthome with plenty of fish to eat!

Name:	resizedLukeTinker16Lane.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	2957

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Fishing was tough Saturdaymorning, 8/11/18, when I headed out 24 miles west of New Pass with DarrenRachman, his brother, Mark, and a couple of their friends. I fished in spotsthat had been productive several times this week, but the bite was pretty sloweverywhere we went. There were some rain storms around us, but we managed tostay mostly dry. The guys used cut-bait and squid to catch and red groupershorts and a lane snapper.

The bite was a little more activeon Tuesday, 8/14, when I fished 18 miles west of New Pass with Mark Lenhart,his son, and two of his son’s friends. The group used squid to catch and boxten grunts, all measuring between 12 and 14 inches, and they released redgrouper shorts.

After two weeks offthe water, with this entire area suffering from red tide, I ventured outMonday, 8/27 to explore the waters and check conditions. Red tide was bad inclose-in waters, with dead fish abundant out to five miles. The further I wentout, the less dead fish were evident, but red tide was still visible as far outas 26 miles, and fishing was, well, not really fishing at all, since there wasabsolutely nothing biting. I had hoped for better conditions out that far. Allwe could do was wait it out, hoping our state and federal officials would doall that is possible to alleviate this problem, or hope for some earlycold-fronts to rescue us.

Meanwhile, my wife and I planned a trip toColorado to visit family, returned, and endured more red tide, until signs thatit was starting to dissipate cheered us up and brought us some fishing trips.When Hurricane Michael roared through the panhandle, the winds we got herehelped push the remaining red tide away from us. We also realize that our redtide issues were nothing compared with what the residents of Panama City andsurrounding area had to deal with.

On Thursday, 10/4,I fished inshore in Estero Bay’s backwaters with Don Lubbehusen, his son, Ben,and friend, Justin Bayer. The guys used live shrimp to catch and releasefifteen crevalle jacks to 13 inches, ten mangrove snapper to 11 inches, a20-inch snook, and four sheepshead to 15 inches. It was good to see clear waterand fish biting, at long last.

Saturday, 10/6, Ifished in Estero Bay’s backwaters, from thelower bay to Wiggins Pass, with Derek Spradling and his friend, Kurt. The guysused live shrimp to catch two black drum at 14 inches and 17 inches, a dozenmangrove snapper including two keepers at 11 inches, and three keepersheepshead to 13 inches. The best catch of the day was a 27 ½-inch redfish,which we photographed and released (see photo below.) We also released tencrevalle jacks to 18 inches, a 16-inch snook, and a two-pound stingray.

Name:	resizedDerekSpradling28RedRel.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	2945

ID:	2945Click image for larger version. 

ID:	2945

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Augusttends can be the hottest month of the year, so fish early and lateafternoon when temperatures are cool. The fish are more active atthese times as water temperatures cool as well.

Snookfishing continues to produce great results for anglers fishing theinlets and beaches. Live baits and DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail inbayou tiger and gold and glow are the baits of choice. The key tosuccess is keep the DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail near the bottom thiswill better your chance to hook into a monster snook. Always fishmoving water and try and fish early morning and during the evening.The average size if the snook has been 8 to 20 pounds. Be sure tohandle the snook with care.

TheIcw has produced a nice variety of species for anglers, snook,trout, tarpon, jacks and even redfish all being caught. Live baitsare great for those looking to relax and produce great numbers.Anglers looking to enjoy the bite doa cal and doa shrimp get the jobdone, key is use the tide and rip lines to your advantage, keepingthe bait near the bottom making sure you can feel the strike.Swimming lures and top water plugs work just as well for predatorfish lurking in the shallows and along the sea walls. Look for baitschools as signs predator fish are in the area.

Freshwater peacock bass action has been stellar as peacocks hammer DOAshrimp and doa cal baits, live shiners work for also. The peacockbass are hanging near shorelines ambushing bait schools, look forbait rippling on surface, great sign the peacocks are near. Flyfanatics the peacock bass will strike deceivers and small gummyminnow flies with a vengeance.

Wellthat is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed.Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and gethooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Default test report page

testing posting for phlats with IE browser