Page 1 of 84 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida

On Monday, 1/14, I headed offshore with Bill Conklin and histwo friends, Mark and Susan. NOAA had forecast seas of two to three feet welloffshore, but even out just eighteen miles from New Pass, we encountered seasof three to four feet. We didn’t head out any further than that, due to roughconditions. The group used cut-bait and squid to box a dozen grunts, andreleased a red grouper short and a remora.

Thursday, 1/17, I headed out about 22 miles from New Passwith long-time customers Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso. The seas were calmingdown, after a few days of rough ones, but it was still a little choppy. Theguys used cut-bait and squid to box fourteen nice porgies to 14 inches, alongwith a mess of grunts. They released a few red grouper shorts, along withfifteen yellowtail snapper shorts and one short mangrove snapper.

Frequent customers Mike and Clint Connealy fished welloffshore with me on Friday, 1/18, in spots ranging from 35 to 40 miles west ofNew Pass. The father-son anglers used squid and cut-bait to catch and release31 red grouper shorts, and they boxed ten porgies to 15 inches, and released anequal amount, having no need to keep that many fish. They added to the fish boxone keeper yellowtail snapper.

Saturday morning, 1/19, seas began to build ahead of anothercold front due to arrive Sunday into Monday. It was choppy 19 miles west of NewPass, where I fished with Allison Kelly, her boyfriend, Dan, and her parents,Kerry and Kevin Kelly. The group used squid and cut-bait to box a dozen nicegrunts and a keeper lane snapper. They released thirteen red grouper shorts, afew sand perch, and a 13-inch triggerfish.

High winds and rough seas, ushering in the next cold front tohit our area, caused Randy Mueller and his son, Coby, to exchange theiroffshore fishing plans for backwater fishing on Friday, 1/25. We fishedsouthern Estero Bay, using live shrimp, and the guys caught five sheepshead,including three keepers at 13 inches, 14 inches and 17 inches. They also boxeda 20-inch seatrout, the first seatrout I have seen in a good while (See photo below.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizedCobyMueller20Trout.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	2959

After many days of rough seas, NOAA forecasted calmer seas onTuesday, 1/29. But, Joe Kovach and his dad, Paul, didn’t trust the forecast,and neither did I, after seeing that seas were very rough the previous day, andpredicted to get back to 4 feet on Wednesday. So the guys decided to fish thebackwaters instead. We fished an outgoing tide in southern Estero Bay, usinglive shrimp. The guys caught five sheepshead, including three keepers to 16inches.

Steve and Beth Wilson, joined by their friends, Steve andJudy Sonda, fished southern Estero Bay‘s backwaters with me on Thursday, 1/31.The sheepshead bite was on and, using live shrimp, the group caught fourteenkeeper sheepshead to 19 inches.

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net
    http://www.fishbustercharters.com

Tuesday morning, 12/4/18, just ahead of a cold front due toarrive in the afternoon, I fished 20 miles west of New Pass with Ralph Marino,Bud Mulchy, and their friends, Ed and John. The guys used squid and cut-bait tocatch six keeper lane snapper, two bluefish to 20 inches, twenty-six grunts, atriggerfish, and six red grouper shorts. They boxed the lanes and the grunts,and released the rest.

Long-time customers, Erwin and Millie Matusiak, fishedsouthern Estero Bay with me on a chilly, windy Wednesday morning, 12/5. Theyused live shrimp to catch eight sheepshead to 14 inches, including fivekeepers, and they released two redfish shorts and a crevalle jack.

Rich and Marnie Henke and their two sons, Anthony and Lucas,fished southern Estero Bay’s backwaters with me on Monday, 12/10. The familyused live shrimp to catch two redfish, 18 inches and 20 inches, which wouldhave been keepers if not for the current moratorium on harvesting reds. So wereleased those, along with an 18-inch snook, one mangrove snapper short, andtwo crevalle jacks. Sheepshead action was steady, and the family caught ten ofthose, including two keepers at 14 inches and 15 inches.

Long-time and frequent customer, Mike Connealy had hoped tofish offshore on Wednesday, 12/12, but seas were four foot, even near-shore, sowe opted for the backwaters instead. Mike used live shrimp to catch twentysheepshead, including three keepers measuring 14 to 16 inches. He also caughtand released a crevalle jack and two puffer fish.

Between a couple days off for the holidays and a whole bunchof very gusty winds and rough seas, there wasn’t another opportunity to get outfishing until Wednesday, 12/26. Even on that day, there were high winds andseas, so the Ketchum family—Steve and Mary and their sons, Connor and Cameron--changed their offshore fishing plans to inshore fishing instead. Using liveshrimp on a catch-and-release trip in southern Estero Bay’s backwaters, thefamily released ten sheepshead to 14 inches, three redfish shorts, three smallsnook, and two crevalle jacks.

Seas were still rough on Thursday, 12/27, so Ian McKinnon andhis young grandsons, along with a few other family members, fished inshoreinstead of fishing offshore as they had planned. The group used live shrimp insouthern Estero Bay to catch and release two redfish shorts to 18 inches, a15-inch snook, four crevalle jacks, and four sheepshead to 11 inches.

Winds kept blowing hard overnight and into Friday, so Ifished the backwaters of southern Estero Bay again on Friday, 12/28, this timewith Frank Fanta and family and friends. The group of four used live shrimp tocatch two keeper sheepshead at 14 inches and 16 inches, and they released sheepshorts, a 17-inch black drum, a 17-inch redfish, and ten crevalle jacks.

I finally got offshore on Saturday morning, 12/29, but thebite was slow, even at some of my most productive snapper holes. WojciechLewndowski and five of his buddies fished in several spots out to 25 miles westof New Pass, using squid and cut-bait. The guys did box twenty grunts and akeeper-sized lane snapper to take home for meals, but the only other catcheswere ten red grouper shorts, which we released. The other boats around usseemed to be having no better luck. Perhaps the recent winds and rough seas hadthe gulf stirred up. In any case, we were glad to get some fish in the cooler,but we’d have liked some better action.

The first trip of the New Year was an offshore one onWednesday, 1/2/19, with Brian and Tracy Matlock, their young sons, Graham andIman, and friend John Royer and his young son, Eli. The group used squid andcut bait eighteen miles west of New Pass to catch three mangrove snapper,including one keeper at 15 inches. They added ten good-sized grunts to the fishbox, and they released five red grouper shorts, a 14-inch mutton snapper short,and a 17-inch bluefish.

I fished 18 to 23 miles offshore from New Pass withlong-time, seasonal customer Ron Musick, for his first trip of the season onThursday morning, 1/3. Fishing was still a bit slow, but we boxed a dozengrunts and released a half-dozen red grouper shorts, all of which bit on squid.

The photo shown is of Barry Cermak with a 20-inch porgy,caught on squid on a recent offshore Fishbuster Charter.

Name:	resizedBarryCermak20Porgy.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	2958
    http://fishbustercharters.com/image/resizedBarryCermak20Porgy.JPG

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

I fished offshore for the first time in many weeks on Friday, 10/19/18, when I headedout to various spots out to 26 miles from New Pass with father and son, Danieland Josh Koppy. The bite was kind of slow, but at least it was improved overthe last time I fished offshore, which was at the peak of the red tide. Theguys used cut bait and squid to catch and release fifteen grunts, two redgrouper shorts, two ramoras, and a 40-inch blacknose shark. Hopefully, with redtide now out of the area, fishing will continue to improve.

On Wednesday, 10/24, I fishedoffshore again, this time with Patrick Keane and three of his friends. The guyswere in town for business, and managed to squeeze in a morning ofcatch-and-release fishing 22 miles west of New Pass. NOAA’s forecast for calm,two-foot seas was off by a foot or two, and waters were choppy. The guys usedsquid and cut-bait to catch and release several red grouper shorts, blue runners,and a half dozen grunts.

On Wednesday, 10/31, I had plannedto fish inshore, but my trip for the day turned out to be a no-show. Hopefullywe got that lack of consideration over with early this season, and everyoneelse will have the consideration to call and cancel if their plans change ;-)

Thursday, 11/1, I fished thebackwaters of southern Estero Bay on a catch-and-release trip with Dave Mercer,Mike Stanbrough, Rod Knudson, and Danny Yanecek. The guys used live shrimp on agood tide to catch and release twenty sheepshead, including ten would-bekeepers to 17 inches, along with three mangrove snapper shorts and a 24-inchredfish. Redfish cannot be harvested until at least May, due to theirpopulations having been decreased during this past summer’s red tide outbreak.

Friday, 11/2, I returned to thesouthern part of Estero Bay to fish another catch-and-release trip with MattMiller and his young son, Bobby. Using live shrimp, the father-son team caughtand released eighteen fish, including a pair of 16-inch sheepshead, a 19-inchsheepshead, thirteen smaller sheepshead, a small snook, and a two-poundcrevalle jack.

Saturday, 11/3, the Kilkearycousins—Jake, Keith, Mike, and Andy-- had planned to fish offshore, but a coolfront that came through the area kicked seas up to three-to-five feet in thegulf, with a small craft advisory issued. So we changed plans and fishedinshore instead. The guys caught and released seven sheepshead to 15 inches,all of which bit on live shrimp.

Friday, 11/9, I fished 28 milesoffshore with long-time customer, Mike Connealy. We used squid and cut bait tocatch and release seven blacknose sharks, all about 40 inches, a 24-inch kingmackerel, seven red grouper shorts, and five 12-inch grunts, along with someshort lane snapper. We did also catch two keeper lanes at 12 inches each, andtwo 12-inch keeper porgies.

Sunday morning, 11/11, I fishedthe backwaters of southern Estero Bay with Jacob Robins. We used live shrimp tocatch eleven sheepshead to 13 inches, and released a half-dozen mangrovesnapper shorts.

Monday, 11/12, I fished 35 mileswest of New Pass with Mike Connealy, who had fished with me last Friday. Thistime, Mike was joined by his friend, Barry Cermak. The guys used cut-bait andsquid to catch fifteen yellowtails, two of which were keepers, along with fourmangrove snapper, one of which was a 15-inch keeper, six nice porgies to 20inches, and a 14-inch grunt. They released a dozen red grouper shorts, tworemoras, and a 36-inch bonnethead shark.

Friday morning, 11/23, I fishedthe backwaters of southern Estero Bay with Tom and Alice Hart, and their sonand daughter-in-law, Paul and Liz Hart. The family used live shrimp to catchfifteen sheepshead, including four keepers, and released two black drum and a redfish pup.

Saturday morning, 11/24, I fishedoffshore, 19 miles west of New Pass, with Todd and Jennifer Tinker and theiryoung son, Luke. The family used cut-bait and squid to catch five keeper lanesnapper to 16 inches, a 14-inch triggerfish, a dozen 12-inch grunts, and adozen red grouper shorts. They boxed the legals, released the others, and wenthome with plenty of fish to eat!

Name:	resizedLukeTinker16Lane.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	2957

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Fishing was tough Saturdaymorning, 8/11/18, when I headed out 24 miles west of New Pass with DarrenRachman, his brother, Mark, and a couple of their friends. I fished in spotsthat had been productive several times this week, but the bite was pretty sloweverywhere we went. There were some rain storms around us, but we managed tostay mostly dry. The guys used cut-bait and squid to catch and red groupershorts and a lane snapper.

The bite was a little more activeon Tuesday, 8/14, when I fished 18 miles west of New Pass with Mark Lenhart,his son, and two of his son’s friends. The group used squid to catch and boxten grunts, all measuring between 12 and 14 inches, and they released redgrouper shorts.

After two weeks offthe water, with this entire area suffering from red tide, I ventured outMonday, 8/27 to explore the waters and check conditions. Red tide was bad inclose-in waters, with dead fish abundant out to five miles. The further I wentout, the less dead fish were evident, but red tide was still visible as far outas 26 miles, and fishing was, well, not really fishing at all, since there wasabsolutely nothing biting. I had hoped for better conditions out that far. Allwe could do was wait it out, hoping our state and federal officials would doall that is possible to alleviate this problem, or hope for some earlycold-fronts to rescue us.

Meanwhile, my wife and I planned a trip toColorado to visit family, returned, and endured more red tide, until signs thatit was starting to dissipate cheered us up and brought us some fishing trips.When Hurricane Michael roared through the panhandle, the winds we got herehelped push the remaining red tide away from us. We also realize that our redtide issues were nothing compared with what the residents of Panama City andsurrounding area had to deal with.

On Thursday, 10/4,I fished inshore in Estero Bay’s backwaters with Don Lubbehusen, his son, Ben,and friend, Justin Bayer. The guys used live shrimp to catch and releasefifteen crevalle jacks to 13 inches, ten mangrove snapper to 11 inches, a20-inch snook, and four sheepshead to 15 inches. It was good to see clear waterand fish biting, at long last.

Saturday, 10/6, Ifished in Estero Bay’s backwaters, from thelower bay to Wiggins Pass, with Derek Spradling and his friend, Kurt. The guysused live shrimp to catch two black drum at 14 inches and 17 inches, a dozenmangrove snapper including two keepers at 11 inches, and three keepersheepshead to 13 inches. The best catch of the day was a 27 ½-inch redfish,which we photographed and released (see photo below.) We also released tencrevalle jacks to 18 inches, a 16-inch snook, and a two-pound stingray.

Name:	resizedDerekSpradling28RedRel.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	2945

ID:	2945Click image for larger version. 

ID:	2945

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Augusttends can be the hottest month of the year, so fish early and lateafternoon when temperatures are cool. The fish are more active atthese times as water temperatures cool as well.

Snookfishing continues to produce great results for anglers fishing theinlets and beaches. Live baits and DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail inbayou tiger and gold and glow are the baits of choice. The key tosuccess is keep the DOA C.A.L. 3” shad tail near the bottom thiswill better your chance to hook into a monster snook. Always fishmoving water and try and fish early morning and during the evening.The average size if the snook has been 8 to 20 pounds. Be sure tohandle the snook with care.

TheIcw has produced a nice variety of species for anglers, snook,trout, tarpon, jacks and even redfish all being caught. Live baitsare great for those looking to relax and produce great numbers.Anglers looking to enjoy the bite doa cal and doa shrimp get the jobdone, key is use the tide and rip lines to your advantage, keepingthe bait near the bottom making sure you can feel the strike.Swimming lures and top water plugs work just as well for predatorfish lurking in the shallows and along the sea walls. Look for baitschools as signs predator fish are in the area.

Freshwater peacock bass action has been stellar as peacocks hammer DOAshrimp and doa cal baits, live shiners work for also. The peacockbass are hanging near shorelines ambushing bait schools, look forbait rippling on surface, great sign the peacocks are near. Flyfanatics the peacock bass will strike deceivers and small gummyminnow flies with a vengeance.

Wellthat is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed.Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and gethooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Default test report page

testing posting for phlats with IE browser

June has arrived, the heat is on and rain has been abundant. The kids are ready for summer and the fish are waiting.

The inshore snook bite is great, near inlets deep channels and along seawalls. Live baits and DOA C.A.L. 4” jerk bait and DOA Terror Eyz work great. The snook are very active early in the morning, late afternoon and well into the night. Average size of the snook has ranged from 2 to 20 pounds. Top water Heddon spooks worked in a walk the dog brings plenty of surface explosions, the snook are very aggressive on the flats. Snook season is closed and the snook are spawning so be very cautious when handling these beauties.

Tarpon are active in the icw waters near canals and bays. Live mullet drifted near the bottom provide explosive action. DOA bait busters and DOA Terror Eyz in Pearl color, worked near the bottom work great as well, morning and late afternoon best time to target the tarpon.Outgoing tide provides best action as well look for rolling fish as clues to work baits. The beaches are full of tarpon the best bet isto get out there at sun rise and beat the traffic.

Grass flats are holding a wide variety of fish at sunrise when waters are cool. Snook, trout, jacks, snapper, and lady fish are all present.Live shrimp, greenies and jigs under a popping cork, will get your rod bent. Artificial plugs like spoons and top water plugs are great search baits for anglers to use to locate schooling fish. DOA C.A.L.3” shad tail very effective for the snook and trout worked along the grassy bottom.

Fresh water action for the peacock bass has anglers excited as explosive action continues. DOA C.A.L. 4” jerk baits in candy corn or pearl color provide aggressive strikes. Live shiners great for anglers looking for non stop rod bending action with the beautiful peacock bass. The peacock are being found on beds and along sea walls. Large mouth bass and Mayan cichlids also putting up a fight for anglers whether using fly live bait or artificial lures anglers can expect action.

Wellthat is the fishing report for the past week, hope everybody enjoyed.Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and gethooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Default Summer Time Fishing At Its best

Despite the wild weather we have had here in south Florida the fishing is been quite good. A steady southeast wind during this time has pushed sargassum seaweed along with schools of mahi-mahi inshore, anywhere from 100 out to 300 feet. The schoolie mahi-mahi have been big, running 5-7 lbs., with some larger 10-20 lb. cows and bulls mixed in.

Lady Pamela sharkfishing has also been great , as we have caught a few hammerhead sharks, some bull sharks, a thresher, and even a tiger shark.

With June just a few days away, we expect to see some big gag, black and red groupers on the shipwrecks. Amberjacks and some cobia will likely be lurking near the surface above these wrecks. You never know.

June is also prime daytime swordfishing, with plenty of daylight for extended trips. Yesterday we boated one 150 lb. fish and had 3 bites. Swordfish this time of year produces very good fish, anywhere from 100 to 300 pounds, off 3 to 4 bites per trip. Because we are fishing well offshore in 1200-1800 feet of water, mahi-mahi are often attracted to the boats during a drift, so we are always ready with a pitch bait.

Tight Lines,
    Capt. David Ide
    Lady Pamela 2 Sport Fishing
    954-761-8045
    www.ladypamela2.com

Despite the wild weather we have had here in south Florida the fishing is been quite good. A steady southeast wind during this time has pushed sargassum seaweed along with schools of mahi-mahi inshore, anywhere from 100 out to 300 feet. The schoolie mahi-mahi have been big, running 5-7 lbs., with some larger 10-20 lb. cows and bulls mixed in.

Lady Pamela sharkfishing has also been great , as we have caught a few hammerhead sharks, some bull sharks, a thresher, and even a tiger shark.

With June just a few days away, we expect to see some big gag, black and red groupers on the shipwrecks. Amberjacks and some cobia will likely be lurking near the surface above these wrecks. You never know.

June is also prime daytime swordfishing, with plenty of daylight for extended trips. Yesterday we boated one 150 lb. fish and had 3 bites. Swordfish this time of year produces very good fish, anywhere from 100 to 300 pounds, off 3 to 4 bites per trip. Because we are fishing well offshore in 1200-1800 feet of water, mahi-mahi are often attracted to the boats during a drift, so we are always ready with a pitch bait.

Tight Lines,
    Capt. David Ide
    Lady Pamela 2 Sport Fishing
    954-761-8045
    www.ladypamela2.com

Snookseason closes June 1st and the monster fish are everywhereyou look. The docks, seawalls, flats and deep passes all are holdingfish. Top water heddon spooks during low light hours createsexplosive action for anglers, DOA 4' C.A.L. Jerk bait with 1/8 ouncejig head and live baits worked through out the day will keep the dragscreaming as well. The average size of the snook has been 2 to 25pounds.

Tarponfishing is hot in the inlets and ICW, the beaches as well areproducing fish when seas allow. Live baits drifted with the tidecreates strikes, DOA C.A.L. 3' shad tail gold and glow with 1/8 ouncejig head great way to jump a silver king. Tides are the key todancing with the silver kings and be sure to have a good rod andreel, always bow to the king. Average size of the tarpon has been 5to 80 pounds.

Warmweather has the peacock bass bit going off. The peacock are hangingalong seawalls, docks , drop offs, bridges and shorelines. Fastmoving lures like a DOA C.A.L. 4” jerk bait rigged weedless ingold and glow, or figi chix gets the strike. Top water plugs like aheedon spook jr entices great explosions well. Fly fishing is anothergreat way to battles these colorful beauties, small deceivers andminnow patterns work great.

Thebest thing about fishing in south Florida there are so many speciesto target in our local waters especially exotic species. Mayancichlids, oscars, clown knife fish and many others are caught willroaming the freshwater water ways. These species are very active aswater temperatures rise and DOA lures, fly fishing and live baitswill get the rod bent.

Wellthat is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed.Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and gethooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 5616444371