Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida

Theweather has been perfect this past week, with moderate tempraturesand winds. The big cool fonts will start to appracoh in weeks to comeengancing the inshore fishign with a plerthera of speacies to target.

Snookseason comes to a close December 15 and the fish seem to know this.Snook are stacked up along docks and mangrove shorelines. Live baitsand DOA Lures entice strikes. Night fishing really hot right now,small hook and a live shrimp and the drag is screaming. Double digitnumbers of fish are being caught during half day trips. Four speciesof snook are being caught as well making for the perfect snookslam.

Tarpon can be targeted day or night. Live baits driftedwith current on outgoing tide and you will be bowing to the king.Smaller fish are in canals and bays. Sunrise and sunset offerspectacular views of rolling fish. Small fish are in the back countrybigger fish are near inlets and deeper passes

The local grassflats are holding plenty of jacks, ladies and pompano. Jigs tippedwith shrimp or a docs goofy jig and your are in business. Work areaswere pot holes and drop offs exist. When fishing the flats use windto your advantage try to use trolling motor as least as possible, sofish dont spook.

Well that is the fishing report for thepast week hope you all enjoyed. Remember you cant catch them from thecouch, so get out there and get hooked up. Tight lines! Capt. CraigKorczynski,
    phlatsinshorefishing.com,561-644-4371

Mike Connealy, a long-time customer, fished southern Estero Bays backwaters with me Friday morning, 11/10/17, using live shrimp for bait. We caught fourteen sheepshead, four of which were keepers ranging from 13 to 18 inches, and four mangrove snapper, including an 11-inch keeper. Mike also released a redfish short, eight snook shorts to 18-inches, and three big sailcats that were all about 20 inches.

Saturday morning, 11/11, I fished in southern Estero Bay with Andy Stuhlmiller and Joe Smith. The guys used live shrimp to catch seven sheepshead to 14 inches, including four keepers, a 16-inch black drum, and a sand bream. They released two mangrove snapper shorts and a short snook.

Mike Connealy, who had fished inshore with me the previous week, brought along his brother, Paul, for an offshore trip on Thursday morning, 11/16. Winds had been howling for a couple of days, and we anticipated that the two-to-three foot seas NOAA had predicted for offshore were likely under-estimated. But the tide was low and outgoing in the bay, so the guys decided to stick with their offshore plans. It was pretty sloppy out fifteen miles, but Mike and Paul used cut-bait and squid for a mixture of sport and food fish. They released four blacknose sharks measuring 24 inches, 30 inches, 38 inches and 48 inches, along with six red grouper shorts to 17 inches. They boxed a dozen keeper lane snapper, all of which were around 11 inches, along with some grunts and a 20-inch Spanish mackerel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MikeConnealy48Blacknose (365x274).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	2852

The photo shown is of Mike Connealy, with a 48-inch blacknose shark, caught on cut-bait, 15 miles west of New Pass.

Monday morning, 11/20, was very windy, and much too rough to fish offshore. I fished in southern Estero Bay with Marc Muinzer and his two young sons, Preston and Pierce. The boys used live shrimp to catch four black drum to 16 inches, six sheepshead to 15 inches, and seven keeper sand bream. They released a small crevalle jack and two two-pound stingrays.

Name:	PierceMuinzer16Drum (365x274).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	2853

The photo shown is of young angler Pierce Muinzer, with a 16-inch black drum, caught on shrimp in Estero Bay.

Father and son team, Frank and Ryan Dwyer, fished 17 miles west of New Pass with me on Tuesday morning, 11/21. Seas were sloppy heading out and until we were well anchored, but fishing was good once we settled in. The guys used squid and cut-bait to box twenty of the thirty-five lane snapper they caught, to 14 inches. They added eight grunts to the box, and released fifteen red grouper shorts, along with a 19-inch bluefish.
    Long-time customer

David Bloomfield, along with his son, Paul, and grandsons, Ross and Hogan, fished 22 miles west of New Pass with me on Wednesday morning, 11/22. The family used squid and cut-bait to box thirty-one keeper lane snapper to 13 inches, along with a few grunts. They released several red grouper shorts.

The morning after the Thanksgiving holiday, 11/24, I was looking forward to the calm, two-foot seas that NOAA had predicted for my planned offshore trip with Chris Dominik, his son, Nathan, and his son-in-law, Nick. We had escaped what was originally a rainy forecast, with the rains having moved through on Thanksgiving Day, leaving us with dry air for Friday. But the seas predictions were way off base. We saw two-footers in the bay! Out in the gulf, it was more like three-to-fours, but my hardy anglers persisted, and we got out 22 miles west of New Pass, where we fished with squid and cut-bait. The guys boxed two dozen keeper lane snapper to 14 inches, along with a few grunts, and they released a dozen red grouper shorts.

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net
    http://www.fishbustercharters.com

Gary Wilson, Larry Jones, and Kevin Scully fished 19 miles west of New Pass with me on Monday morning, 10/16/17, in calm seas. The guys had a productive morning of fishing, using cut-bait and squid. They boxed a dozen keeper lane snapper to 16 inches, a keeper mutton snapper at 18 inches, and 18 grunts to 14 inches. They released one short mutton snapper, and 18-inch gag grouper short, a dozen red grouper shorts to 18 inches, and a 30-inch bonnethead shark.

The photo shown is of Larry Jones, with an 18-inch mutton snapper, caught on squid 19 miles west of New Pass.

Trips have been scarce in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, and the next time I fished was on Thursday morning, 10/26, in southern Estero Bays backwaters, with Rich Kern Sr., Rich Kern, Jr., and Steve Kern, along with friend John Ziffle. The guys used live shrimp to haul in a nice catch of sheepshead and black drum. They boxed five keeper sheepshead to 16 inches and three keeper black drum to 16 inches. They released smaller sheepshead and a few mangrove snapper shorts.

With a tropical depression in the gulf, meeting up with a strong, approaching cold-front on Saturday, 10/28, Dave Carr and friends, Steve and George, tried to squeeze in a morning of fishing offshore with me, ahead of the deteriorating weather. We managed about three and one half hours before the increasing winds and seas, along with a bit of rain, forced us back to shore. The guys used squid to catch some porgies, three of which were good-sized and went into the cooler. They released red grouper shorts, a couple of mutton snapper shorts at 14 inches and 15 inches, and some yellowtail shorts.

Walter Leap and Tom Krum fished the backwaters of southern Estero Bay with me on Wednesday morning, 11/1, using live shrimp. They caught eight sheepshead, including three keepers to 14 inches, eight mangrove snapper, including one keeper, and a nice trout at 20 inches. They released four stingray, all between two and three pounds.

The photo shown is of Tom Krum with a 20-inch trout, caught on shrimp in Estero Bay

Cody Sturgess fished offshore with me Thursday morning, 11/2, 22 miles west of New Pass, using squid and cut-bait to catch a variety of fish. He met his 20-fish bag limit of keepers, comprised of nine lane snapper and eleven grunts. He released two banded rudderfish shorts, fifteen red grouper shorts to 18 inches (three of which were previously caught and tagged), fourteen additional grunts, a 13-inch triggerfish, and a few blue runners and puffers.

You can view our fishing action videos at http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

For Craig Seacrest and family, it was a toss-up as to whether to fish offshore or in the backwaters on Thursday, 8/24. The threat of rain was a concern offshore, with its timing uncertain, and with its potential to rough up the seas. The bay was at a low, outgoing tide. The group decided to take their chances offshore. Early on, we hit some rain for a bit, and seas did get choppy. They calmed down a little, but not enough to get out as far as wed have liked. We ended up fishing the reefs for a while, which were not real productive, then ventured out a little further to twelve miles west of New Pass. The bite was slow everywhere, and the family caught and released a few red grouper shorts, a mangrove snapper that was just short of legal size, some blue runners, and a few grunts. We saw a big shark, as well as a few turtles.

Newlyweds, Brian and Rachel Lavalle, fished southern Estero Bays backwaters with me on Tuesday, 8/29. I had feared that the influx of fresh water brought by the tropical disturbance that had hung over our area for days could interfere with the bite, but I was fortunately wrong. Using shrimp, the couple caught eight sheepshead, including six keepers: one at 14-inches, a couple at 15-inches, a couple at 16-inches, and one at 17-inches. They also caught a 20-inch keeper redfish.

Bob and Lisa Gatesy fished southern Estero Bay with me Thursday morning, 8/31. The fish were liking shrimp, and by 10:30 AM, the couple had already caught eight keeper sheepshead to 15 inches and two keeper redfish to 25 inches. They released three sheepshead shorts, and decided to call it a half-day a little early, in order to get out of the heat.
    The photo shown below is of Lisa Gatesy, with a 25-inch redfish.

Name:	LisaGatesy25Red (365x274).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	2827
    Hurricane Irma hit our area on September 10th, and its aftermath was quite a challenge. We were fortunate to have only minor property damage, along with a lot of downed trees. Our boats, thankfully survived. We were without power for nine days, and were so thankful t for the hard working linemen from all over the country who worked tirelessly to restore it.

As a consequence of the storm, there was very little fishing going on, as locals lost income and struggled to repair their properties, file claims, and the like. It was September 28th before I fished again. That trip was with six linemen in our area, on assignment from West Virginia, Jim Blackstock, Jim Messenger, and four of their friends and co-workers. We fished 25 miles west of New Pass, using squid and cut-bait to catch and release twenty-five keeper-sized lane snapper, twenty-six red grouper shorts, a small amberjack, and twelve grunts.

Brothers, Jake and Adam Sutton, fished 19 miles west of New Pass with me on Saturday morning, 9/30, using squid and cut-bait. The guys caught a 22-inch keeper red grouper and five keeper lane snapper to 12 inches, along with a mess of grunts. They released two mutton snapper shorts at 12 inches and 14 inches, along with a 25-pound goliath grouper.

You can view our fishing action videos at
    http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Theinshore fishing is full of life winds or not, the mullet run is onand anglers can enjoy non stop action. Morning and evening, snookare exploding on top water plugs and live mullet, docks, seawalls andflats all holding snook right now. Night fishing is another optionfor anglers bridges and dock light provide great areas to targetsnook, just look for snook lurking in the shadow line, always presentyou bait in a natural manner.

Tarponfishing has been steady this past week, the bigger tarpon are activeat sunrise and sunset. The juveniles 5 to 20 pounds are willing toeat all through he day. Live baits drifted with the tide gets therod bent. Anglers can expect great tarpon action in back bays as baitschools continue to migrate through our area.

Jacksare being caught just about anywhere you toss a live bait or lure.The jacks are in schools of 50 to 100 at times and the typical sizeis 5 to 8 pounds but there are many that reach 20 pounds. This actionwill continue through fall for the jacks but cooler air bring plentyof bruisers as well.

Thefreshwater fishing for peacock bass has presented great numbers andplenty of action for anglers. Fly fishing for the peacock bass alongseawalls, grass beds and sand bottoms, allows anglers to sight fish.Sight fishing peacock bass is fun and at timers is a team sport. Boatpositioning and casting is the key to success. Deceiver flies andpopper work great for the peacock bass. Artificial lures like DOAshrimp and cals also produce great action.. The large mouth bassfishing is fantastic on local lakes using artificial plastics andshiners. The bass are holding on thick cover and big fish can befound on drop offs.

Wellthat is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed.Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and gethooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Augusthas flown by and summer will officlaly come to and end next week. Theplus to all this is school is back in session meaning the waterwaytraffic will start to quite down and the mullet run is upon us.

Snookfanatics season opens on September 1st, the bite has been greataround clean water. The mullet run is coming to our area keying upthe fishing. Live baits worked near structure and you should find thesnook. Top water plugs worked over flats and around docks andseawalls great areas to locate snook. DOA C.A.L. 4 inch jerk baits inworked weedless or on a 1/8 ounce jig head great way to hook up witha snook as well. Early morning fishing, is great do to low watertemps but evening will cause for some heart pounding explosions aswell. The snook are averaging in size from 2 to 20 pounds.

Tarponare becoming prevalent in our Inter coastal waters, they can be seenexploding on mullet schools. The tarpon are ranging from 5 to 50pounds, many of these fish are schooled up, so once you hook one keepanother bait out for a double header. Live mullet, Doa Bait bustersand top water plugs will all get your drag screaming.

Thegrass flats are holding plenty of bait, anglers targeting the flatswith DOA lures like the C.A.L. 3 inch shad on a DOA popper head orweedless will get the rod bent. The best colors are glow/ gold rushbelly and Arkansas glow. The flats are teaming with snook, reds,trout, jacks, and tarpon. Look for bait schools and the predator fishare close by.

Peacockbass action is prime as they are roaming docks and seawalls bustingbait schools. Top water plugs DOA C.A.L. 3 inch shad and flies arethe go to baits for anglers targeting these beauties with artificiallures. Live shiners will get the rod bent constantly putting kids andnovice anglers to the test. The peacocks are active from sun up tosunset. Other exotic species like the Mayan cihclids offer plenty ofaction for anglers. Small flies and DOA shrimp great baits for thesetough fish.

Wellthat is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed.Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and gethooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Visitus on Facebook/PhlatsInshoreFishing

Mr. and Mrs. Rick Ogata fished a catch-and-release trip with me in southern Estero Bay on Monday morning, 7/24. They used live shrimp and sardines to catch fourteen snook to 22 inches, two sheepshead, and a sand bream.

Wednesday morning, 7/26, I headed 23 miles offshore with long-time customer Jose Garcia and his family, Melissa, Emily and Brian, along with family friends Frank Landrode and his son, Justin. The group used cut-bait and squid to box a keeper 22-inch red grouper, along with two dozen lane snapper keepers to 15 inches. They released between thirty and forty red grouper shorts.

Name:	FrankLandrode22RedGr (365x274).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	2812
    The photo shown is of Frank Landrode, with a keeper 22-inch red grouper, caught on squid on a recent offshore trip.

Mike Wethington, friend, Rob, and friends, Cory Altman and his three young children, Jude, Izayah, and Ashton, had planned to fish offshore with me on Tuesday, 8/1, but Tropical Storm Emily threw a wrench into those plans, so we rescheduled for Thursday, 8/3. Seas were still a little choppy, but way calmer than they had been for the previous days. We headed 23 miles offshore, with cut-bait and squid. The group caught twenty-three red grouper shorts to 18 inches, which were fun for the boys to reel in and release. They also caught some keeper fish, including two dozen lane snapper and a half-dozen grunts.

After lots of rainy days, paired with a light summer schedule, I got back offshore on Wednesday, 8/9, when I fished 24 miles west of New Pass with Ingo Merz and his two sons. Using shrimp and cut-bait, the guys caught and released two dozen red grouper shorts to 19 inches, just shy of keeper size. They boxed 24 lane snapper to 15 inches, along with a dozen grunts.

Diane McVay and friends, Peggy and Mike, fished southern Estero Bay with me Friday morning, 8/11, using live shrimp for bait. With all the fresh water influx into the backwaters from recent heavy rains, fishing was not the best it could be, but the group caught a 15-inch black drum and a 14-inch sheepshead, and released a few sheepshead shorts, along with four stingray that were all about two pounds.

Ingo Merz and sons, Matt and Max, who fished with me last Wednesday, fished offshore again with me this Monday, 8/14. This time, the boys were seeking out the thrill of big fish, rather than only table-fare. We headed out to spots between 12 and 23 miles west of New Pass, where the guys used cut-bait and squid to lure a few monsters. They fought and released two goliath grouper, one estimated at 80 pounds, and one estimated at 140 pounds. They also battled and released an 8-foot-plus bull shark. They had three additional big sharks hooked, but those cut the line and took off. Needless to say arms were tired and adrenaline surged! The guys caught and released twenty-five red grouper shorts to 19 inches, and also landed one keeper red grouper at 21 inches. They added to the fish box six keeper lane snapper and a half dozen grunts.

Susan Baker and her now grown-up daughter, Anna, fished 17 miles offshore with me on Wednesday, 8/16/17. Anna was a young child when she last fished with me about ten years ago! The mother-daughter anglers used squid and cut-bait to catch and release a dozen red grouper shorts to 19 inches, and to box six keeper lane snapper and a half-dozen grunts.

Name:	DavidJack24SnookRel (365x274).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	2813

The photo shown is of David Jack, with a 24-inch snook , caught on shrimp and released in Estero Bay on a recent inshore trip.

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Thekids are back school and the waters less crowded, summer sure flewbye. Less pressure on the water and the fish are biting go figure.The beautiful weather will sure keep the fishing action steady, loadthe boat and go get a rod bent.

TheInshore fishing has been full of action for anglers targeting Snook.The Snook continue to gather in our inlets and deep channels. DOAC.A.L. 4 inch jerk bait on a 3/8 ounce jig head in glow / gold rushbelly excellent bait for the linesiders. A DOA Baitbuster in pearl/greenback rigged on a jig 3/8 once black jig head, excellent lureto entice the snook to strike. If you prefer to live bait, snookwillingly devour mullet and pin fish placed in there vicinity. Snookseason opens September 1st so if you would like to keep asnook, be sure you have a snook stamp.

Anglerslooking to tango with the silver king, beaches and inside the ICWbest areas to find the tarpon. Look for rolling fish and present alive greenie or mullet on a circle hook and hold on tight. DOA BaitBuster in mullet pattern or pearl color, deadly on tarpon. The keywith tarpon is to present the bait ahead of them leading the fish orpod. This allows for a stealthy approach without spooking the tarpon.Once a tarpon nears the bait, a little twitch or movement triggersthe strike. The Tarpon range in size from 10 to 50 pounds. Alwaysremember to bow your rod to the king, this is to avoid the break offsand hooks pulling out.

TheDocks and seawalls have provided great action. Live baiting theseareas, great choice for those that are not great casters. Live baitscan be free lined and provoke predator fish to open water were theyhone in on the live bait. The Jacks, Snapper, trout and a few redfish have been the main predators being caught. These fish have beenbiting when the tide is flowing ambushing bait schools as they lookfor shelter. Early morning and late afternoon has provided the bestbite as water temperatures are cooler.

Localfreshwater canals and lakes are presenting great action for peacockbass using fly and DOA C.A.L. 3 inch shad in candy corn and glowholographic colors. Live shiners used for the peacock bass offers nonstop action for anglers. The peacock bass are very aggressive, sightfishing for the peacocks is an adrenaline rush. Anglers witness thestrike happen front and center, triggering a great battle. Popperflies or top water heddon spook jrs great choices for top waterenthusiasts. Other exotics species are being caught as well whiletargeting the peacock bass. Mayan cichlid, Oscars, and knife fish allgreat catches on light tackle.

Wellthat is the report for the past week hope you all enjoyed. Rememberyou cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and get hookedup. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski, PhlatsInshoreFishing.com,561-644-4371

Augustwell known for providing scorching heat and plenty of humidity. Thetropical breeze has been our only savor. Fishing early morning hasgiven anglers calm conditions, avoiding afternoon thunder storms.With school starting up next week, the waters will have less trafficfor the serous fisherman.

TheInshore fishing has provided plenty of action for anglers targetingSnook. The Snook continue to gather in our local inlets and deepchannels. Anglers hooking up with the linesiders averaging 5 to 25pounds are enjoying catch and release trophy snook. Live baitsdropped to the bottom produce fish but a DOA C.A.L. 4 inch jerk baitin glow / gold rush belly and bayou tiger provide the best results.Working the DOA C.A.L's along the bottom with current is moregratifying then soaking a live bait on the bottom and sure puts asmile on the anglers face when they feel the strike.

TheTarpon action has been great inside the inlets and in the ICW.Anglers looking to tango with the silver king, scan the waterssurface for rolling fish. Once the tarpon are located, present a livegreenies or pinfish in there vicinity. DOA C.A.L. 4 inch jerk bait ona ponce jig head in Arkansas glow and glow holographic, greatcolors to present to rolling fish. The Tarpon have ranged in sizefrom 10 to 50 pounds. Always remember to bow down while a Tarpon isjumping, this helps to avoid break offs and hooks pulling out.

TheDocks and seawalls have provided great action for anglers using topwater heddon spooks, a slow walk the dog retrieve provides explosivetop water strikes. Live thread fins soaked around structure willprovide many hook ups for anglers. The Jacks, Snapper and a few Trouthave been the main predators being caught along the grass flats andchannel edges. These fish have been ambushing bait schools as theylook for shelter. Early morning and late afternoon has provided thebest bite.

Freshwateraction peacock bass have been the main target and the bite has beengreat. Fly anglers are enjoying top water strikes on popper flies,nothing beats a surface strike. Peacocks are very aggressive so anyhard bait or soft plastic worked along shorelines, bridges and dockswill provide hook ups. Live shiners are another choice for anglers,they are expensive but they always get the job done. Sight casting topeacock bass is a blast, DOA shrimp in copper crush or fire tiger mygo to lure. Present the DOA shrimp in the peacock bass vicinity andgame on.

Wellthat is the report for the past week hope you all enjoyed. Rememberyou cant catch the form the couch so get out there and get hooked up.Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski, PhlatsInshoreFishing.com,561-644-4371

Augusttends to be the hottest month of the year, so fish early and lateafternoon when temperatures are cool. The fish are more active atthese times as water temperatures cool as well.

Snookfishing continues to produce great results for anglers fishing theinlets and beaches. Live baits and DOA C.A.L. 4 inch jerk bait inbayou tiger or glow gold rush belly are the baits of choice. Alwaysmake sure the jig is on the bottom, this will better your chance tohook into a monster snook. Always fish moving water and try and fishearly morning and during the evening. The average size if the snookhas been 8 to 20 pounds. Be sure to handle the snook with care.

TheIcw has produced a nice variety of species for anglers, snook,trout, tarpon, jacks and redfish all being caught. Live baits aregreat for those looking to relax and produce great numbers. Anglerslooking to enjoy artificial lures, DOA C.A.L. 3 inch shad and DOAshrimp get the job done. Key is use the tide and rip lines to youradvantage, keeping the bait near the bottom making sure you can feelthe strike. Swimming lures and top water plugs work just as well forpredator fish lurking in the shallows and along the sea walls. Lookfor bait schools as signs predator fish are in the area.

Freshwater peacock bass action has been stellar as peacocks hammer DOAshrimp and DOA C.A.L. 3 inch shad in candy corn or chartreuse, liveshiners work for also. The peacock bass are hanging near shorelinesambushing bait schools, look for bait rippling on surface. Thepeacocks are near. Fly fanatics the peacock bass will strikedeceivers and and popper flies with a vengeance.

Wellthat is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed.Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and gethooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371