Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida

Stormy weather began setting in on Monday, 4/27, with lots of moisture over the gulf. By the time Tuesday rolled around, there were scattered showers over much of the area, but Mike Boden and I managed a morning of bay fishing, with just a few drizzles, and returned to the dock just before the heavy rains began. Mike used live shrimp in central Estero Bay to catch a trio of redfish, two of which were keepers at 18 ½ and 19 ½ inches. He lost a much bigger one that broke the line boat-side. He released four stingray to 4 pounds.

Winds remained strong and seas remained choppy on Saturday, 5/2. Gene and Yoshimi Issacs fished with live shrimp in central Estero Bay with me, in somewhat muddy conditions that were far from ideal. But the couple had a good time catching and releasing fifteen mangrove snapper shorts, one keeper-sized in the bunch, along with eight sheepshead shorts.

There was no getting offshore for the next couple of days, with small craft advisories in effect. I cancelled my offshore trip for Monday, 5/4, and was able to reschedule my Tuesday trip for Wednesday, 5/6, when seas finally calmed down and were actually nearly smooth, 22 miles west of New Pass, where I fished with brothers Tom and David Duval and their wives, Kate and Bev. The group did well using live shrimp. They boxed six keeper lane snapper to 14 inches, four keeper mangrove snapper to 14 inches, three porgies to 15 inches, and a 22-inch keeper red grouper. They released four mangrove snapper shorts, along with twenty red grouper shorts to 19 ½ inches, within a half-inch of keeper-size.

Thursday morning, 5/7, was another nice one offshore, where I fished 20 miles west of New Pass with Don and Cathy Balas and their friends, Richard and Louise Guimond. Using live shrimp, the couples landed fifteen keeper lane snapper, a half dozen keeper porgies to 14 inches, an 18-inch Spanish mackerel, and a keeper red grouper measuring 21 ½ inches. They released twenty-five additional red grouper that were shorts.

Friday morning, 5/8, I fished 21 miles offshore with Jim Jenkins, father-son team David and Eric Ewing, and Ken Fiedler. The group caught a lot of fish, including two keeper red grouper at 20 inches and 22 inches, the larger of them biting on a bait-fish, and the smaller on a live shrimp. The guys also used shrimp to catch and release twenty-eight red grouper shorts to 19 ½ inches. They boxed twenty keeper lane snapper and released an equal number of lane shorts, along with a half dozen mangrove snapper shorts. They topped off the fish box with two keeper porgies, and released four porgy shorts.

Monday, 5/11, seas were predicted to be two feet, but both winds and seas were higher than predicted 26 miles west of New Pass, where I fished with long-time, annual customers Doug and Wade Shepherd, father and son. We cut the planned full-day trip a little short, having caught plenty of fish and having had enough sloppy seas and heat by mid-afternoon. The guys caught three keeper red grouper, one at 22 inches, and a brace of 21-inchers. They released twenty red grouper shorts to 19 inches. They also caught eleven keeper lane snapper, and released lots of lane shorts. Everything bit on live shrimp.

Tuesday morning, 5/12, Justin Padgett, Ty Cooper, Randy Parks, and Doug Winters headed out with me to 22 miles west of New Pass. The guys caught thirty red grouper, including a keeper at 23 inches, which bit on a bait-fish. The shorts, to 18 ½ inches, bit on shrimp. The guys also got twenty lane snapper keepers, and released several shorts.

Good friends, Alan Upin, Richard Gerstein, and Ed Blackman, fished the backwaters of central Estero Bay on a catch-and-release trip with me on Wednesday morning, 5/13. Using live shrimp, they released a 17 ¾-inch redfish, a dozen mangrove snapper including five would-be-keepers, and two stingray to ten pounds.

The photo shown is of angler Bradley Miller, with a 25 ½-inch gag grouper, caught on a bait-fish and released on a recent offshore trip.

You can check out all of our shark and goliath grouper action videos at the following link.

fishing videos

http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net
    http://www.fishbustercharters.com

Snook action is firing, docks, seawalls, and shorelines continue to be the
    main targets. The snook are very active early morning and late
    afternoon. Live baits and top water plugs work great along seawalls
    and flats. Doa cal jigs are the choice bait for the docks. The full
    moon coming this month will trigger the spawn for the snook. This is
    the time when the big female fish gather in the local inlets,
    offering snook catches well into the double digit numbers but sizes
    from 15 to 30 pounds not uncommon.

Tarpon are starting to show in local inlets but the big pods of fish are
    still migrating south from the Stuart area. The back bays still hold
    juvenile fish, these fish are willing to take live baits and doa cal
    4 inch jerk worked on the bottom. Look for rolling fish as signs of
    life in the area, be sure to get in front of the fish and avoid
    spooking them.

Peacock bass fishing is stellar do to the warm weather patterns, water
    temperatures are rising. The peacock bass are striking flies, doa
    shrimp and doa cal jerk baits. Live shiners work great as well,
    anglers looking for explosive action small top water plugs or doa
    chuggers will get the explosions started. Sight fishing for the
    peacock is a blast and anglers that have experienced this or those
    who have not, it is something you will never forget and you will be
    hooked. Average size of the peacocks is 2 to 7 pounds.

The fresh water lake ans canals are teaming with action largemouth bass
    are very active all through the day but early morning and evening top
    water action is a blast. Jigging grassy shorelines or drop offs offer
    plenty of rod bending action. For fly angles gurglers worked along
    sea walls or grassy edges triggers great strikes as well. Exotic
    species like the mayan cichlids, oscars and talapia offer great
    action on the fly. These species might be small but put up a great
    fight.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed.
    Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,
    PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Monday, 4/13/15, seas were predicted to be two feet or less, but NOAA definitely underestimated those. I fished with long-time customers Clement and Evelyn Wong, along with their son, Nathan and daughter-in-law, Joy. Seas were three feet or more, about 18 miles west of New Pass, and we actually cut the morning of fishing short, as a couple of anglers were feeling a bit seasick. The family managed to catch a few keepers, though, before we headed back to terra firma. They boxed a keeper-sized mangrove snapper, porkfish, and five grunts. We also had a goliath on that broke the line.

Tuesday morning, 4/14, there were some leftover swells from Monday’s unsettled weather, but it calmed down offshore, with no early rains, and I fished 19 miles west of New Pass with long-time customer, Robin Latham, his niece and her husband, Jolene and Andrew Davis, and family friend, Chris McFarland. The group kept the twenty largest of thirty-five keeper porgies to 17 inches, along with a few of the fifteen 13-inch and 14-inch grunts they caught. They also released four red grouper shorts to 18 inches, one lane snapper short, and lots of blue runners. Everything bit on live shrimp.

Carl and Sharon Simonin and son, Austin, along with friends, Gina and her son, Logan, fished 18 miles offshore with me Wednesday morning, 4/15, using live shrimp. The group caught fifteen nice porgies to 16 ½ inches, along with a half dozen good-sized grunts. They released ten red grouper shorts.

Frequent customers, Ron Musick, Eddie Alfonso, and Richard Arnett, fished 29 miles offshore with me on Thursday, 4/16. The guys wanted to fish for grouper, and we used shrimp and a few pinfish to catch a bunch of red grouper--forty in all--but they were short of keeper size, with a few of them only 1/4 to 1/8 inch short. We had fun catching and releasing, even if we didn't get to box any of them. The guys did get five keeper lane snapper and five porgies to keep, along with a 32-inch king mackerel. They released a three-foot sharp-nose shark.

Friday, 4/17, seas were rougher than predicted and definitely choppier than they had been all week. I fished 18 miles west of New Pass with John Pear and three of his friends. The guys used live shrimp to catch twenty keeper lane snapper to 14 inches. They caught one keeper porgy before the dolphins showed up at our porgy spot, putting an end to adding any more porgies to the box! The guys released five red grouper shorts and lots of blue runners.

Saturday, 4/18, Donnie Miles, son-in-law, Orry Andrew, and friend, Brad Wheeler, fished the east wall of Estero Bay’s backwaters with me, from Mound Key to the Imperial River, using live shrimp. The guys released three redfish to 17 inches, along with three sheepshead to 14 inches, and eleven mangrove snapper. They kept four of the good-sized snapper for dinner.

Monday morning, 4/20, I had planned an offshore trip with the family and friends of Tom Rylander, but an unsettled weather pattern with rain over the gulf and increasing winds and seas required that we change plans and fish inshore in Estero Bay’s backwaters. The group fished the bay down toward Wiggins Pass, using live shrimp. They caught a couple keeper mangrove snapper, and released some smaller ones, along with six stingray to 8 pounds.

Tuesday morning, 4/21, there was widespread rain over the gulf, and my offshore trip cancelled.
    Wednesday morning, 4/22, there were still a few residual rain showers to dodge, but nothing as widespread or heavy as we'd seen the previous day. Prepared with rain slickers on board, I headed out 18 miles to fish with long-time customer Tom Batcheller and his friends, Gary and Steve. The guys used live shrimp to catch as many as forty lane snapper, fifteen of which were keepers to 14 inches. They released lots of blue runners, a Spanish mackerel, and a dozen red grouper shorts to 18 inches.

Larry Leach and Wayne Bauman scheduled two days of offshore fishing with me on Thursday, 4/23 and Friday, 4/24. Thursday, we headed out to about 36 miles west of New Pass, where the guys fished with live shrimp. They boxed fifteen nice-sized mangrove snapper to 16 inches, along with three yellowtail snapper, all 14 to15 inches. They chose to release a brace of 32-inch king mackerel, along with twenty must-release-red-grouper-shorts, a few of which were just 1/8 inch short of keeper size. The guys hooked two nice red grouper that probably would have been about 26 inch keepers, based upon the ten pound heads that were reeled up, after a big shark decided to make have dinner on us!

Larry and Wayne, returned to fish again on Friday, and we had hoped to get back out to catch that demon shark who ate our big groupers the day before—or at least catch some big grouper! But we didn’t have the calm sea conditions we’d had on Thursday. The winds had picked up considerably, and seas were pretty rough, even relatively close to shore. So we decided to do some goliath-grouper sport fishing at one of my spots just 14 miles offshore. We caught a bunch of blue runners, which we used for goliath bait, and we photographed and released two goliaths, estimated at 150 pounds and 320 pounds. Goliaths must be released while still submerged in the water, so the guys couldn’t pose with their catches, but they got a few good pics of the fish. Those goliath battles were enough to give the guys some sore arms and, after that excitement and also catching a 14-inch pompano, they decided to head in a bit early to relax before catching their flight back to Michigan.

Saturday, 4/25, was windy again and, although NOAA’s prediction remained for two-foot seas, I knew it would be rougher than that. I headed out 19 miles from New Pass with Peter Halunen and his son, Clinton, where we fished with live shrimp in mostly three-foot seas. The guys caught three nice porgies, all 14 inches, and a half dozen 13-inch grunts, along with two keeper porkfish and a keeper lane snapper. We would have managed a few more lanes if the dolphin hadn’t showed up on our spot to feast! We also released six red grouper shorts to 17 inches. On the way back in, we encountered mating sea-turtles, which we stopped to video.

The photo shown is of angler Bill Crockett, with a 19 ½-inch sheepshead, caught on shrimp.

You can check out all of our shark and goliath grouper action videos at the following link.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Beautiful sunny days and perfect sea conditions, you could not ask for anything
    more as a fisherman. Fun in the sun is the mind set for all boaters.

Inshore anglers are finding fantastic snook fishing along docks, seawalls,
    and flats. Live baits work great but hooking snook on artificial
    lures is more gratifying. Top water lures present explosive action as
    snook explode on lures walking across surface. Doa lures and fly also
    entice snook to strike snook like to hit, anything shiny and noisy.
    Sight fishing for the snook offers anglers great visual shots and
    adds to the intensity of battling the snook

Tarpon
    action has provided anglers with many leaps and drag screaming runs.
    Tarpon are striking live baits drifted with the tide, top water plugs
    and doa cal jerk baits all work great. Mangrove shorelines and drop
    offs are the areas tarpon can be seen rolling on the surface.

The grass flats early in the morning are producing a mixed bag of species
    for many anglers. Snook trout, ladyfish, snapper, sheepshead, and
    many others keep the rod bent and drag screaming. This fishing is
    great for kids and novice anglers, as there is always something
    chewing on the other end of the line. Live shrimp and mullet are
    great choices as well as doa shrimp.

The peacock bass bite is fantastic due to the warmer water temperatures.
    Peacock are very aggressive striking flies, lures and live baits.
    Docks and seawalls are the main areas to locate these colorful fish.
    Sight fishing for peacock adds to the experience and allow the anger
    to witness the strike. The peacocks are averaging 2 to 4 pounds with
    some reaching 7 pounds.

Large mouth bass fishing is great on lake Okeechobee working grassy edges
    and thick seagrass areas. The bass are striking top water lures
    during low light hours, mid day bass will take jigs, swim baits and
    live baits. The bass are still hanging on beds so sight fishing can
    be done at times, great for fly fishing enthusiast.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope everybody enjoyed.
    Remember you cant catch them from the couch. So get out there and get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski, 561-644-4371,
    PhlatsInshoreFishing.com

Monday morning, 3/30, after a windy weekend, seas had calmed down to two-to-three feet, and I headed twenty miles offshore with Paul Kikendall and friends, Greg, Rick and Tom. The guys did very well snapper-fishing with live shrimp, and caught forty keeper lane snapper to 14 inches. They released tree red grouper shorts.

Tuesday, 3/31, frequent customers, Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, joined by friends, Bob Meyer, Bob’s son, Brian Meyer, and Terry and her son, Brennen, fished nineteen miles west of New Pass with me, using live shrimp. The snapper bite was good for mangrove and yellowtail snapper, and the group caught six keeper mangs, all 12-to16 inches, along with three keeper yellowtails to 14 inches. They added twenty-five porgies, all nice ones about 15 inches, along with a mess of grunts to 15 inches. The group released red grouper shorts to 18 ½ inches and gag grouper shorts to 20 inches.

Rob and Sherry Steffen enjoyed a calm morning of fishing offshore with me on Wednesday, 4/1/15. We fished 23 miles west of New Pass, over rocky bottom, and did well with grouper and snapper. The couple caught three keeper red grouper, at 21 inches, 22 inches, and 23 inches. They released forty additional red grouper shorts, including a half dozen that were only ¼ inch short of keeper size—heart-breaking! But they ended up with plenty of good eating fish, adding to the box a mess of nice, keeper lane snapper to15 inches. They caught one of the keeper red grouper on a bait-fish, one on a piece of octopus, and one on a shrimp. The snapper all bit shrimp.

Bill and Marie McSkimming, daughter, Jenn McSkimming, and grandsons, Austin and William Spooner, fished 20 miles west of New Pass with me on Thursday morning, 4/2, using live shrimp for bait. The family caught two king mackerel, one at 26 inches and one at 34 inches. They did well with lane snapper too, culling twenty-five keepers to 14 inches. They released fifteen red grouper shorts to 17 inches, along with some blue runners.

Friday, 4/3, I headed offshore with Gary Brooks, his son-in-law, Justin Herman, future son-in-law, Sean Montellese, and friend, Hans Cooper. The lane snapper bite was hot again, as it has been recently, and the guys caught twenty keeper lanes on shrimp. They added to the box a couple of nice red grouper at 21 inches and 22 inches, both of those also caught on shrimp, and they released another seventy-plus red grouper shorts to 18 inches. A half dozen nice-sized grunts topped off a full fish box.

Saturday morning, 4/4, I fished a catch-and-release trip in the backwaters of Estero Bay with Tom Anderson and his two sons, Ben and Chris. The guys used live shrimp to catch three mangrove snapper, one sheepshead, one snook, and five stingray. One of the stingrays was a big one at about 10 pounds, making for a worthy battle.

Monday morning, 4/6, I fished with long-time customer, Frank Partee, joined by his extended family, Joe, Joe’s three sons, Jack, Dave and Michael, and Joe’s brother and dad, Pat and Jeff. The guys did well with snapper fishing, using live shrimp, and culled thirty-five keeper lanes to 12 inches, along with four good-sized grunts. They released a dozen red grouper shorts to 17 inches, 22 miles west of New Pass.

Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, who fish with me frequently each winter and spring, fished 29 miles west of New Pass on Tuesday, 4/7. The guys loaded up on lane snapper, with twenty-five keepers. They caught about as many porgies and grunts as they did lanes, so there was plenty of table-fare to choose from. Everything bit on live shrimp.

Wednesday morning, 4/8, Nick and Christa Brown, son, Jake, daughter, Marissa, and Nick’s parents, Glen and Bernie, fished 19 miles offshore with me, using shrimp for bait. The group caught a total of forty keeper-sized lane snapper, kept eighteen of those, and released the rest. They also caught a 14-inch porgy, an 18-inch Spanish mackerel, and a few grunts. They released ten red grouper shorts to 17 inches, and also released what would have been a 40-inch long king mackerel, that is, if a big barracuda hadn’t decided to make it its lunch as it was being reeled in. The ‘cuda bit the kingfish off at its dorsal fin, and there was still 25 inches of it remaining on the hook!

Jim Novy has been taking his children, Jimmy, Jacklyn, Jordan and Julia, fishing with me annually for years, ever since the kids were very young. They fished with me offshore on Thursday, morning, 4/9. Conditions were a little sloppy offshore, so we stayed within ten miles of land, and used live shrimp for bait. Action was steady, and the kids counted 104 total fish caught, most of which were released. They boxed two Spanish mackerel and about fifteen keeper lane snapper, along with a few grunts. They released lots of lane snapper shorts, red grouper shorts, and ladyfish.

NOAA’s forecast for seas of less than two feet out to twenty miles for Friday morning, 4/10, was not accurate—maybe seas were two feet right off the beach, but they were a lot choppier where I fished, 19 miles west of New Pass, with Roy Mittman and his son-in-law, Zach. The guys braved the waves, and used live shrimp to catch four 14-inch porgies, two keeper lane snapper to 15 inches, a 13-inch mangrove snapper, and a few grunts. They released a dozen red grouper shorts.

Saturday morning, 4/11, I fished Estero Bay’s backwaters with Sam Sommer and his friend, Jerell. The tide was not optimal, and there was heavy boat traffic and jet-ski traffic, making fishing more of a challenge. The guys had fun, nonetheless, using live shrimp to catch and release some lane snapper shorts, along with two stingray, one of which was a big one at nearly ten pounds.

The photo shown is of angler Sherry Steffen, with a 23-inch red grouper, caught on shrimp on a recent offshore trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Monday, 3/16/15, I headed offshore nineteen miles west of new Pass with frequent angler, Mike Connealy and his friend, Roger. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release lots of red grouper shorts to 18 inches, lots of mangrove snapper shorts, and lots of blue runners. As for keepers, they boxed nine lane snapper to 12 inches, a 13-inch mangrove snapper, and a few grunts.

Tuesday, 3/17, frequent customers, Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, fished offshore with me, 19 miles from New Pass, where they used live shrimp to catch a 20-inch keeper red grouper, fourteen keeper lane snapper, a 13-inch mangrove snapper, a 16-inch sheepshead, a 15-inch porgy, and seventeen grunts to 14 inches.

Wednesday, 3/18, I fished in central Estero Bay's backwaters with Dean Bitter, his son, Andrew, and his daughter, Sarah. The family used live shrimp to catch and release three sheepshead shorts and a ten-pound stingray. They boxed an 18 1/2-inch redfish and a 17-inch whiting.

Stuart Norris, who has fished with me each March for many years, brought his son, Buzz, along to fish twenty miles west of New Pass on Thursday, 3/19. The guys had a good morning of fishing, using live shrimp. They caught three king mackerel to 31 inches, twenty lane snapper keepers to 13 inches, and a few grunts. They released a 17-inch red grouper short.

Jim McGrath, son Steve, and family friend, Bill Crockett, fished twenty miles west of New Pass with me Friday morning, 3/20. The lane snapper were biting well on shrimp, and we caught 40 keeper-sized lanes to 13 inches. The guys also caught three king mackerel, ranging 28 inches to 32 inches. They released a red grouper short, a few short porgies, and blue runners.

Saturday morning, 3/21, long-time customers Robin Latham and Chris Welch fished with me, 20 miles west of New Pass. Robin and Chris typically fish inshore but, with very low tides in the bay and calm seas offshore, I recommended they try the gulf this trip, which proved to be productive, especially for snapper. We caught twenty-five lane snapper to 15 inches, along with a 25-inch kingfish and three keeper porgies, including two at 15 inches, all on live shrimp. The guys released four red grouper shorts, all 17-to-18 inches.

Monday morning, 3/23, seas were predicted to be two-to-three feet, but they were four foot, just 5 miles off the beach, at the near-shore reefs I fished with Jim Jensen, Jeff Keiner, Brian Davis and Kevin Ransom. The guys used live shrimp to catch six nice sheepshead to 18 inches and eight grunts to 12 inches. They released a red grouper just ½ inch short of keeper size, along with eight mangrove snapper shorts and eight yellowtail snapper shorts.

Tuesday, 3/24, frequent fishers, Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, fished twenty miles west of New Pass with me. Heading out, there were some big rollers, left over from the previous day’s windy conditions, but seas calmed down nicely after a while. The guys used live shrimp to catch thirty-nine keeper lane snapper to 12 inches, and added a keeper porkfish and a few grunts to the fish box. They released red grouper shorts to 18 inches.

Greg Greutman and his two sons, Sergei and Carl, fished 18 miles offshore with me on Wednesday morning, 3/25. Heavy fog was over the area until about 10AM. The boys used live shrimp to catch a 23-inch Spanish mackerel, a half dozen 13-inch porgies, and six grunts all about 12 inches. They released red grouper and porgy shorts, along with four out-of-season triggerfish.

Thursday morning, 3/26, long-time customer Pat Fitzgerald, his two sons, Jimmy and Tommy, along with Brent Thompson and son, Nick, and friend Brandon Linn, fished 20 miles west of New Pass with me, using live shrimp. The group did well with snapper, and caught thirty keeper lane snapper to 16 inches, along with a 13-inch, keeper mangrove snapper. They added to the box a few grunts and a 20-inch Spanish mackerel, and they released a 15-inch, out-of-season triggerfish.

With small craft advisories and seas of three-to-five feet on Friday, 3/27, ahead of a cool front, Rusty Hook and son, Jeremy, and Ryan Abbott and son, Reid, traded offshore plans for a morning of fishing in central Estero Bay, around the islands and as much out of the wind as possible. Using shrimp, the guys caught three redfish, one of which was an 18 ½-inch keeper, and fifteen mangrove snapper, one of which was a keeper. They also released a 17-inch snook and a big, 20-pound stingray.

I had an offshore trip planned for Saturday, but four-to-six feet seas offshore nixed that one.

The photo shown is of angler Buzz Norris, with a 31-inch king mackerel, caught on shrimp on a recent offshore trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Gusty and sunny describes the fishing weather last week. East winds
    prevailed and caused for rough water inside and murky water through
    out the inter coastal. The full moon added swift high and negative
    tides as well, all this and the inshore fishing was still spot on.

Snook are lurking near docks and seawalls, live baits and doa cal lures
    worked close to structure triggers bites. Drop offs, channel edges
    and bridges are holding slot fish , find moving water and you will
    catch snook. Top water bite in the morning creates awesome action
    using heedon spooks, work the lure in a walk the dog manner, mimic a
    wounded bait is the key. As the sun gets up above jigging is the best
    bet, dark colors have worked well, key is match the water color, dark
    colors dark baits clear water light baits.

The seawall bullies are still on the prowl, “Jacks“, are ferocious
    and will take just about any moving lure or bait in there vicinity,
    Top water heedon spooks worked near structure and you have a ticking
    time bomb waiting to happen. Majority of the time the anglers are
    spooked by the jacks explosion as they strike quick and hard. The
    smaller schoolie jacks are around as well, but even thought the
    bigger jacks make you feel like Jell-O when you are done fighting,
    you cant beat boating a 25 to 30 pound creature.

Tarpon fishing brought many smiles this past week, anglers viewed acrobatic
    leaps as the silver king fought to shake it off. Tarpon wee taking
    live baits drifted with the tide, as well as doa cal 4 inch jerk
    baits in gold and glow. Drop offs and mangrove shorelines proved to
    be the hang out for these beauties. Rolling fish can be seen and
    often offer clues to were the fish are hanging out.

The docks are also a great spot for anglers to target sheepshead, snook,
    drum and snapper. Shrimp dead or alive will put a bend in the rod.
    This type of fishing is great when winds are stiff and anglers just
    want to a consistent bend in the rod, especially for the kids this
    will put a smile on there faces.

Freshwater action provided nice large mouth bass striking doa jerk baits and
    fly. The bass are hanging on beds, offering great sight fishing
    action. Peacock bass action as well offers great sight fishing for
    anglers, the peacock are very aggressive striking fast moving lure
    flies and live shiners.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed.
    Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski

Monday, 3/2/15, I headed offshore in calm seas—what a treat that was, after a couple of battling or surrendering to windy, rough conditions. Long-time customers, Jim McGrath and Bill Crockett had a good morning of fishing 22 to 25 miles west of New Pass. They caught two keeper red grouper, both 23 inches, and released a 24-inch gag grouper, along with twenty-five red grouper shorts and several undersized mangrove snapper. One of the keeper red grouper bit a shrimp, while the other keeper red and the gag both bit on bait-fish. The guys added to the fish box a dozen keeper lane snapper.

Tuesday, 3/3, I fished with frequent anglers, Ron Musick, Dick Arnett and Eddie Alfonso, in various spots out to 35 miles west of New Pass. Oddly, there was no snapper bite, but the guys caught sixteen nice porgies, all 14-to15-inches, and some grunts. They released twenty red grouper shorts to 19 ½ inches, along with two out-of-season gag grouper, including one short and one 23 inches. Everything bit on live shrimp.

Brothers Greg and Jeff Meyer and friend, Nick Neher, fished the backwaters of central Estero Bay with me on Wednesday, 3/4. The guys caught three redfish on live shrimp, including two keepers at 19 inches and 22 inches, and a 17-inch red that they released. They added to the box a 13-inch sheepshead, and they released a half dozen stingray, all of which were two to three pounds.

Thursday, 3/5, I fished the east wall of Estero Bay with father and son anglers, Harry and Bill Easom. The first fish caught was a bull red at 31 inches, which had to be released, but the guys also caught a keeper redfish at 18 ½ inches and released two shorts at 17 inches and 17 ½ inches. They also caught eight keeper-sized sheepshead, and boxed the six largest of those, which ranged 13 ½ to 18 inches. They released nine sheepshead shorts. We also had a huge stingray bite and run about 100 yards before breaking the line.

Jim McGrath and Bill Crockett, who fished offshore with me on Monday, fished the backwaters with me on Friday morning, using live shrimp along the east wall of Estero Bay. Sheepshead action was good, and the guys boxed ten keepers ranging in size from 13 ½ inches to 19 ½ inches. They released six shorts.

Saturday, 3/7, in the aftermath of another weather front that rolled through over-night, seas were three-to-five feet offshore, with small craft advisories issued. My six-man offshore trip had to be cancelled, due to those conditions.

Monday, 3/9, seas were predicted to be two feet or less, but they were two-to-four feet just 19 miles offshore, where I fished with Steve Davis, his son, Matt Davis, and friend, Eric Goodmanson. Matt caught the only keeper red grouper, at 21 inches, which bit a bait-fish, but the group released twenty additional red grouper in the 18-to 19-inch range. Those smaller grouper bit on live shrimp, as did the two 13-inch triggerfish we released, due to closed season. Also on shrimp, nine nice porgies to 14 inches were boxed, along with ten 12-inch grunts, and a pair of 17-inch sheepshead. The group released ten additional smaller grunts and fifteen smaller porgies.

Tuesday morning, 3/10, I fished inshore in lower Hickory Bay with Tim Ellis and Ken Anderson, using live shrimp. The guys caught a 25-inch black drum, along with seven nice sheepshead ranging in size from 14 inches to 19 ½ inches. They released an additional fifteen sheepshead that were short of keeper size.

Wednesday morning, 3/11, Jim McGrath and Bill Crockett, who fished inshore with me last Monday, headed offshore to 19 miles west of New Pass, where they fished with live shrimp. They caught twenty-eight porgies in all, thirteen of them keepers to 14 inches. They also caught a dozen keeper-sized grunts, of which they kept the six largest, and released the rest. They topped off the fish box with a 15-inch lane snapper, and they released twenty-five red grouper shorts to 19 inches.

Thursday, 3/12, I fished from 18 to 25 miles offshore with Ron Musick, Eddie Alfonso, Dick Arnett and Bob Meyer. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release twenty red grouper shorts to 19 inches. They boxed six h keeper porgies, three keeper lane snapper, and a few grunts. We noticed lots of bait fish on the bottom, especially squirrel fish.

Friday, 3/13, Joe Watton and Wayne Bauman had planned on a full-day offshore, but with the winds having increased substantially, they decided a morning of backwater fishing would be best this time. The guys used live shrimp in central Estero Bay to catch eight sheepshead, one of which was a 15-inch keeper. They released the shorts, along with a 15-pound stingray, fishing on an outgoing tide all morning.

Saturday, 3/14, seas were still a little sloppy, but not rough, and I fished 27 miles offshore with Dave and Judy Eckrich, their son and daughter-in-law, and granddaughter. The family used live shrimp to catch and release twenty-two red grouper shorts to 18 inches. They boxed sixteen porgies to 14 inches, three mangrove snapper to 15 inches, and some good-sized grunts.

The first photo shown is of angler, Jim McGrath with a 24-inch gag grouper, caught on shrimp and released 25 miles west of New Pass on a recent offshore trip.

The second photo shown is of angler, Harry Easom with a 31-inch bull redfish, caught on shrimp and released in Estero Bay on a recent inshore trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

March is here hopefully the cool weather fronts taper off. Warm weather has
    been showing as of late and water temperatures are on the rise. March
    is usually windy causing anglers to battle choppy conditions but well
    worth it for fun in the sun.

Snook fishing has been stellar do to the warmer water departures, seawalls,
    docks and flats are all holding good snook. Doa cal jigs and airhead
    doa all entice the snook to strike. Glow and gold have been the best
    colors for the snook. Top water bite for the snook is great during
    all hours of the day slow presentation entices the big females
    strike.

The grass flats will be holding a mixed bag of species due to the cooler
    water temperatures. Pompano, jacks, ladyfish, trout, snook and
    redfish will be holding on sandy bottoms looking to warm up. Live
    baits and jigs will entice strikes the key is to work the baits slow
    and drift with the tide. Depths from 2 to 8 feet hold fish, try
    fishing when the sun is at its highest point.

The sea walls are holding a mixed bag of species for anglers. Jacks,
    drum, trout and sheephead all put a bend in the rod. There have also
    been nice groupers near rocky shorelines and older sea walls. Plenty
    of snapper as well for those looking to put dinner on the table, all
    it takes is a live shrimp and fish on.

The fresh side largemouth bass action with top water baits is great from
    sun up to sun down. Doa cal 4 inch jerk baits and Doa airheads
    produce explosive strikes. Live shiners also provoke many strikes for
    anglers as well, usually drawing in the bigger fish.

Peacock bass fishing easy getting better and better as water temperatures
    start to rise with the warmer temperatures we have been experiencing.
    Fast moving baits trigger strikes as live shiners. Fly fishing for
    the peacock is great along seawalls and sandy bottom areas. The
    peacock bass are schooling together and are ranging in size from 2 to
    5 pounds.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed
    remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there ad get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,

Monday, 2/16/15, I fished the backwaters of lower Hickory Bay with Patrick Gartland, his dad, Tom Gartland, and friend, Chris Ladtke. The guys used live shrimp to catch four nice sheepshead to 16 inches. They released four redfish shorts in the 17-to-18-inch range, along with a dozen mangrove snapper shorts and a 15-inch snook.

Tuesday, 2/17, high winds and seas prevented an offshore trip, and I fished the backwaters with Steve Fisher and Dale Neil. The spots that had been productive the previous day for large sheepshead were not as productive in terms of keeper-sized fish. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release two 17-inch redfish shorts, three sheepshead shorts, a puffer-fish and a stingray.

Wednesday through Friday, 2/18 through 2/20, brought more winds, rough seas, low tides, and frigid temperatures. I canceled my fishing trips for those days.

Saturday morning, 2/21, I fished in lower Hickory Bay, trying to fish on the best of the morning’s low tide. Joe Haberkorn and friends, Jerry and George, released nine ladyfish and a couple of three-pound stingray, caught on shrimp.

Monday morning, 2/23, I headed offshore 22 miles west of New Pass to fish with long-time customer, Kari Vilamaa and his friend George. The guys caught twenty nice lane snapper to 15 inches, three 14-inch porgies, and a few good-sized grunts. They released ten red grouper shorts to 18 inches and two 18-inch gag grouper shorts.

Tuesday 2/24, began foggy and ended foggy, with only a little clearing in between. I fished all day with Jack Miller, his son, Vince, and friends, Alan Feingold, Tim Moore, and Dick Deldello. We went out about 18 miles, and with winds and seas picking up, decided not to venture too much further. The snapper bite was good and the guys boxed eighteen nice mangrove snapper, all 14 and 15 inches, caught on live shrimp. They added to the box a dozen keeper lane snapper, a half dozen 14-inch porgies, a few good-sized grunts, and a brace of 17-inch sheepshead. They released two dozen grouper shorts, a mix of reds and gags, to 18 inches.

Wednesday, 2/25, I fished in various spots between 18 and 28 miles west of New Pass with long-time customer Tony Rolli and his grandsons, A.J. Rolli and Cory Bomer. It was another foggy morning, but it cleared up for most of the day, and got foggy again when the wind changed on our way in. The guys did well fishing with live shrimp, and caught a brace of 21-inch red grouper, a 24-inch king mackerel, a dozen keeper lane snapper to 15 inches, and a few grunts. They released twenty-five porgy shorts, all about 11 ½ inches.

Thursday and Friday, 2/26 and 2/27 brought rain, winds and small-craft advisories yet again--a familiar theme this month. I had to cancel my offshore trips, and the bay was not an option, with barely enough water to float the boat, with negative tide conditions persisting most of each day.

Saturday, 2/27, winds and seas began to calm down, but were still up to 4 feet well offshore. My full-day offshore trip scheduled for that day decided to cancel.

The photo shown is of angler, Tom Gartland with a 16-inch sheepshead, caught on shrimp on a recent trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast