Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida

Monday morning, 3/30, after a windy weekend, seas had calmed down to two-to-three feet, and I headed twenty miles offshore with Paul Kikendall and friends, Greg, Rick and Tom. The guys did very well snapper-fishing with live shrimp, and caught forty keeper lane snapper to 14 inches. They released tree red grouper shorts.

Tuesday, 3/31, frequent customers, Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, joined by friends, Bob Meyer, Bob’s son, Brian Meyer, and Terry and her son, Brennen, fished nineteen miles west of New Pass with me, using live shrimp. The snapper bite was good for mangrove and yellowtail snapper, and the group caught six keeper mangs, all 12-to16 inches, along with three keeper yellowtails to 14 inches. They added twenty-five porgies, all nice ones about 15 inches, along with a mess of grunts to 15 inches. The group released red grouper shorts to 18 ½ inches and gag grouper shorts to 20 inches.

Rob and Sherry Steffen enjoyed a calm morning of fishing offshore with me on Wednesday, 4/1/15. We fished 23 miles west of New Pass, over rocky bottom, and did well with grouper and snapper. The couple caught three keeper red grouper, at 21 inches, 22 inches, and 23 inches. They released forty additional red grouper shorts, including a half dozen that were only ¼ inch short of keeper size—heart-breaking! But they ended up with plenty of good eating fish, adding to the box a mess of nice, keeper lane snapper to15 inches. They caught one of the keeper red grouper on a bait-fish, one on a piece of octopus, and one on a shrimp. The snapper all bit shrimp.

Bill and Marie McSkimming, daughter, Jenn McSkimming, and grandsons, Austin and William Spooner, fished 20 miles west of New Pass with me on Thursday morning, 4/2, using live shrimp for bait. The family caught two king mackerel, one at 26 inches and one at 34 inches. They did well with lane snapper too, culling twenty-five keepers to 14 inches. They released fifteen red grouper shorts to 17 inches, along with some blue runners.

Friday, 4/3, I headed offshore with Gary Brooks, his son-in-law, Justin Herman, future son-in-law, Sean Montellese, and friend, Hans Cooper. The lane snapper bite was hot again, as it has been recently, and the guys caught twenty keeper lanes on shrimp. They added to the box a couple of nice red grouper at 21 inches and 22 inches, both of those also caught on shrimp, and they released another seventy-plus red grouper shorts to 18 inches. A half dozen nice-sized grunts topped off a full fish box.

Saturday morning, 4/4, I fished a catch-and-release trip in the backwaters of Estero Bay with Tom Anderson and his two sons, Ben and Chris. The guys used live shrimp to catch three mangrove snapper, one sheepshead, one snook, and five stingray. One of the stingrays was a big one at about 10 pounds, making for a worthy battle.

Monday morning, 4/6, I fished with long-time customer, Frank Partee, joined by his extended family, Joe, Joe’s three sons, Jack, Dave and Michael, and Joe’s brother and dad, Pat and Jeff. The guys did well with snapper fishing, using live shrimp, and culled thirty-five keeper lanes to 12 inches, along with four good-sized grunts. They released a dozen red grouper shorts to 17 inches, 22 miles west of New Pass.

Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, who fish with me frequently each winter and spring, fished 29 miles west of New Pass on Tuesday, 4/7. The guys loaded up on lane snapper, with twenty-five keepers. They caught about as many porgies and grunts as they did lanes, so there was plenty of table-fare to choose from. Everything bit on live shrimp.

Wednesday morning, 4/8, Nick and Christa Brown, son, Jake, daughter, Marissa, and Nick’s parents, Glen and Bernie, fished 19 miles offshore with me, using shrimp for bait. The group caught a total of forty keeper-sized lane snapper, kept eighteen of those, and released the rest. They also caught a 14-inch porgy, an 18-inch Spanish mackerel, and a few grunts. They released ten red grouper shorts to 17 inches, and also released what would have been a 40-inch long king mackerel, that is, if a big barracuda hadn’t decided to make it its lunch as it was being reeled in. The ‘cuda bit the kingfish off at its dorsal fin, and there was still 25 inches of it remaining on the hook!

Jim Novy has been taking his children, Jimmy, Jacklyn, Jordan and Julia, fishing with me annually for years, ever since the kids were very young. They fished with me offshore on Thursday, morning, 4/9. Conditions were a little sloppy offshore, so we stayed within ten miles of land, and used live shrimp for bait. Action was steady, and the kids counted 104 total fish caught, most of which were released. They boxed two Spanish mackerel and about fifteen keeper lane snapper, along with a few grunts. They released lots of lane snapper shorts, red grouper shorts, and ladyfish.

NOAA’s forecast for seas of less than two feet out to twenty miles for Friday morning, 4/10, was not accurate—maybe seas were two feet right off the beach, but they were a lot choppier where I fished, 19 miles west of New Pass, with Roy Mittman and his son-in-law, Zach. The guys braved the waves, and used live shrimp to catch four 14-inch porgies, two keeper lane snapper to 15 inches, a 13-inch mangrove snapper, and a few grunts. They released a dozen red grouper shorts.

Saturday morning, 4/11, I fished Estero Bay’s backwaters with Sam Sommer and his friend, Jerell. The tide was not optimal, and there was heavy boat traffic and jet-ski traffic, making fishing more of a challenge. The guys had fun, nonetheless, using live shrimp to catch and release some lane snapper shorts, along with two stingray, one of which was a big one at nearly ten pounds.

The photo shown is of angler Sherry Steffen, with a 23-inch red grouper, caught on shrimp on a recent offshore trip.

You can check out all of our shark and goliath grouper action videos at the following link.

fishing videos

http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html
    Captain Dave Hanson
    Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net
    http://www.fishbustercharters.com

Monday, 3/16/15, I headed offshore nineteen miles west of new Pass with frequent angler, Mike Connealy and his friend, Roger. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release lots of red grouper shorts to 18 inches, lots of mangrove snapper shorts, and lots of blue runners. As for keepers, they boxed nine lane snapper to 12 inches, a 13-inch mangrove snapper, and a few grunts.

Tuesday, 3/17, frequent customers, Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, fished offshore with me, 19 miles from New Pass, where they used live shrimp to catch a 20-inch keeper red grouper, fourteen keeper lane snapper, a 13-inch mangrove snapper, a 16-inch sheepshead, a 15-inch porgy, and seventeen grunts to 14 inches.

Wednesday, 3/18, I fished in central Estero Bay's backwaters with Dean Bitter, his son, Andrew, and his daughter, Sarah. The family used live shrimp to catch and release three sheepshead shorts and a ten-pound stingray. They boxed an 18 1/2-inch redfish and a 17-inch whiting.

Stuart Norris, who has fished with me each March for many years, brought his son, Buzz, along to fish twenty miles west of New Pass on Thursday, 3/19. The guys had a good morning of fishing, using live shrimp. They caught three king mackerel to 31 inches, twenty lane snapper keepers to 13 inches, and a few grunts. They released a 17-inch red grouper short.

Jim McGrath, son Steve, and family friend, Bill Crockett, fished twenty miles west of New Pass with me Friday morning, 3/20. The lane snapper were biting well on shrimp, and we caught 40 keeper-sized lanes to 13 inches. The guys also caught three king mackerel, ranging 28 inches to 32 inches. They released a red grouper short, a few short porgies, and blue runners.

Saturday morning, 3/21, long-time customers Robin Latham and Chris Welch fished with me, 20 miles west of New Pass. Robin and Chris typically fish inshore but, with very low tides in the bay and calm seas offshore, I recommended they try the gulf this trip, which proved to be productive, especially for snapper. We caught twenty-five lane snapper to 15 inches, along with a 25-inch kingfish and three keeper porgies, including two at 15 inches, all on live shrimp. The guys released four red grouper shorts, all 17-to-18 inches.

Monday morning, 3/23, seas were predicted to be two-to-three feet, but they were four foot, just 5 miles off the beach, at the near-shore reefs I fished with Jim Jensen, Jeff Keiner, Brian Davis and Kevin Ransom. The guys used live shrimp to catch six nice sheepshead to 18 inches and eight grunts to 12 inches. They released a red grouper just ½ inch short of keeper size, along with eight mangrove snapper shorts and eight yellowtail snapper shorts.

Tuesday, 3/24, frequent fishers, Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, fished twenty miles west of New Pass with me. Heading out, there were some big rollers, left over from the previous day’s windy conditions, but seas calmed down nicely after a while. The guys used live shrimp to catch thirty-nine keeper lane snapper to 12 inches, and added a keeper porkfish and a few grunts to the fish box. They released red grouper shorts to 18 inches.

Greg Greutman and his two sons, Sergei and Carl, fished 18 miles offshore with me on Wednesday morning, 3/25. Heavy fog was over the area until about 10AM. The boys used live shrimp to catch a 23-inch Spanish mackerel, a half dozen 13-inch porgies, and six grunts all about 12 inches. They released red grouper and porgy shorts, along with four out-of-season triggerfish.

Thursday morning, 3/26, long-time customer Pat Fitzgerald, his two sons, Jimmy and Tommy, along with Brent Thompson and son, Nick, and friend Brandon Linn, fished 20 miles west of New Pass with me, using live shrimp. The group did well with snapper, and caught thirty keeper lane snapper to 16 inches, along with a 13-inch, keeper mangrove snapper. They added to the box a few grunts and a 20-inch Spanish mackerel, and they released a 15-inch, out-of-season triggerfish.

With small craft advisories and seas of three-to-five feet on Friday, 3/27, ahead of a cool front, Rusty Hook and son, Jeremy, and Ryan Abbott and son, Reid, traded offshore plans for a morning of fishing in central Estero Bay, around the islands and as much out of the wind as possible. Using shrimp, the guys caught three redfish, one of which was an 18 ½-inch keeper, and fifteen mangrove snapper, one of which was a keeper. They also released a 17-inch snook and a big, 20-pound stingray.

I had an offshore trip planned for Saturday, but four-to-six feet seas offshore nixed that one.

The photo shown is of angler Buzz Norris, with a 31-inch king mackerel, caught on shrimp on a recent offshore trip.

You can check out all of our shark and goliath grouper action videos at the following link.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Gusty and sunny describes the fishing weather last week. East winds
    prevailed and caused for rough water inside and murky water through
    out the inter coastal. The full moon added swift high and negative
    tides as well, all this and the inshore fishing was still spot on.

Snook are lurking near docks and seawalls, live baits and doa cal lures
    worked close to structure triggers bites. Drop offs, channel edges
    and bridges are holding slot fish , find moving water and you will
    catch snook. Top water bite in the morning creates awesome action
    using heedon spooks, work the lure in a walk the dog manner, mimic a
    wounded bait is the key. As the sun gets up above jigging is the best
    bet, dark colors have worked well, key is match the water color, dark
    colors dark baits clear water light baits.

The seawall bullies are still on the prowl, “Jacks“, are ferocious
    and will take just about any moving lure or bait in there vicinity,
    Top water heedon spooks worked near structure and you have a ticking
    time bomb waiting to happen. Majority of the time the anglers are
    spooked by the jacks explosion as they strike quick and hard. The
    smaller schoolie jacks are around as well, but even thought the
    bigger jacks make you feel like Jell-O when you are done fighting,
    you cant beat boating a 25 to 30 pound creature.

Tarpon fishing brought many smiles this past week, anglers viewed acrobatic
    leaps as the silver king fought to shake it off. Tarpon wee taking
    live baits drifted with the tide, as well as doa cal 4 inch jerk
    baits in gold and glow. Drop offs and mangrove shorelines proved to
    be the hang out for these beauties. Rolling fish can be seen and
    often offer clues to were the fish are hanging out.

The docks are also a great spot for anglers to target sheepshead, snook,
    drum and snapper. Shrimp dead or alive will put a bend in the rod.
    This type of fishing is great when winds are stiff and anglers just
    want to a consistent bend in the rod, especially for the kids this
    will put a smile on there faces.

Freshwater action provided nice large mouth bass striking doa jerk baits and
    fly. The bass are hanging on beds, offering great sight fishing
    action. Peacock bass action as well offers great sight fishing for
    anglers, the peacock are very aggressive striking fast moving lure
    flies and live shiners.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed.
    Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski
    PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Monday, 3/2/15, I headed offshore in calm seas—what a treat that was, after a couple of battling or surrendering to windy, rough conditions. Long-time customers, Jim McGrath and Bill Crockett had a good morning of fishing 22 to 25 miles west of New Pass. They caught two keeper red grouper, both 23 inches, and released a 24-inch gag grouper, along with twenty-five red grouper shorts and several undersized mangrove snapper. One of the keeper red grouper bit a shrimp, while the other keeper red and the gag both bit on bait-fish. The guys added to the fish box a dozen keeper lane snapper.

Tuesday, 3/3, I fished with frequent anglers, Ron Musick, Dick Arnett and Eddie Alfonso, in various spots out to 35 miles west of New Pass. Oddly, there was no snapper bite, but the guys caught sixteen nice porgies, all 14-to15-inches, and some grunts. They released twenty red grouper shorts to 19 ½ inches, along with two out-of-season gag grouper, including one short and one 23 inches. Everything bit on live shrimp.

Brothers Greg and Jeff Meyer and friend, Nick Neher, fished the backwaters of central Estero Bay with me on Wednesday, 3/4. The guys caught three redfish on live shrimp, including two keepers at 19 inches and 22 inches, and a 17-inch red that they released. They added to the box a 13-inch sheepshead, and they released a half dozen stingray, all of which were two to three pounds.

Thursday, 3/5, I fished the east wall of Estero Bay with father and son anglers, Harry and Bill Easom. The first fish caught was a bull red at 31 inches, which had to be released, but the guys also caught a keeper redfish at 18 ½ inches and released two shorts at 17 inches and 17 ½ inches. They also caught eight keeper-sized sheepshead, and boxed the six largest of those, which ranged 13 ½ to 18 inches. They released nine sheepshead shorts. We also had a huge stingray bite and run about 100 yards before breaking the line.

Jim McGrath and Bill Crockett, who fished offshore with me on Monday, fished the backwaters with me on Friday morning, using live shrimp along the east wall of Estero Bay. Sheepshead action was good, and the guys boxed ten keepers ranging in size from 13 ½ inches to 19 ½ inches. They released six shorts.

Saturday, 3/7, in the aftermath of another weather front that rolled through over-night, seas were three-to-five feet offshore, with small craft advisories issued. My six-man offshore trip had to be cancelled, due to those conditions.

Monday, 3/9, seas were predicted to be two feet or less, but they were two-to-four feet just 19 miles offshore, where I fished with Steve Davis, his son, Matt Davis, and friend, Eric Goodmanson. Matt caught the only keeper red grouper, at 21 inches, which bit a bait-fish, but the group released twenty additional red grouper in the 18-to 19-inch range. Those smaller grouper bit on live shrimp, as did the two 13-inch triggerfish we released, due to closed season. Also on shrimp, nine nice porgies to 14 inches were boxed, along with ten 12-inch grunts, and a pair of 17-inch sheepshead. The group released ten additional smaller grunts and fifteen smaller porgies.

Tuesday morning, 3/10, I fished inshore in lower Hickory Bay with Tim Ellis and Ken Anderson, using live shrimp. The guys caught a 25-inch black drum, along with seven nice sheepshead ranging in size from 14 inches to 19 ½ inches. They released an additional fifteen sheepshead that were short of keeper size.

Wednesday morning, 3/11, Jim McGrath and Bill Crockett, who fished inshore with me last Monday, headed offshore to 19 miles west of New Pass, where they fished with live shrimp. They caught twenty-eight porgies in all, thirteen of them keepers to 14 inches. They also caught a dozen keeper-sized grunts, of which they kept the six largest, and released the rest. They topped off the fish box with a 15-inch lane snapper, and they released twenty-five red grouper shorts to 19 inches.

Thursday, 3/12, I fished from 18 to 25 miles offshore with Ron Musick, Eddie Alfonso, Dick Arnett and Bob Meyer. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release twenty red grouper shorts to 19 inches. They boxed six h keeper porgies, three keeper lane snapper, and a few grunts. We noticed lots of bait fish on the bottom, especially squirrel fish.

Friday, 3/13, Joe Watton and Wayne Bauman had planned on a full-day offshore, but with the winds having increased substantially, they decided a morning of backwater fishing would be best this time. The guys used live shrimp in central Estero Bay to catch eight sheepshead, one of which was a 15-inch keeper. They released the shorts, along with a 15-pound stingray, fishing on an outgoing tide all morning.

Saturday, 3/14, seas were still a little sloppy, but not rough, and I fished 27 miles offshore with Dave and Judy Eckrich, their son and daughter-in-law, and granddaughter. The family used live shrimp to catch and release twenty-two red grouper shorts to 18 inches. They boxed sixteen porgies to 14 inches, three mangrove snapper to 15 inches, and some good-sized grunts.

The first photo shown is of angler, Jim McGrath with a 24-inch gag grouper, caught on shrimp and released 25 miles west of New Pass on a recent offshore trip.

The second photo shown is of angler, Harry Easom with a 31-inch bull redfish, caught on shrimp and released in Estero Bay on a recent inshore trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

March is here hopefully the cool weather fronts taper off. Warm weather has
    been showing as of late and water temperatures are on the rise. March
    is usually windy causing anglers to battle choppy conditions but well
    worth it for fun in the sun.

Snook fishing has been stellar do to the warmer water departures, seawalls,
    docks and flats are all holding good snook. Doa cal jigs and airhead
    doa all entice the snook to strike. Glow and gold have been the best
    colors for the snook. Top water bite for the snook is great during
    all hours of the day slow presentation entices the big females
    strike.

The grass flats will be holding a mixed bag of species due to the cooler
    water temperatures. Pompano, jacks, ladyfish, trout, snook and
    redfish will be holding on sandy bottoms looking to warm up. Live
    baits and jigs will entice strikes the key is to work the baits slow
    and drift with the tide. Depths from 2 to 8 feet hold fish, try
    fishing when the sun is at its highest point.

The sea walls are holding a mixed bag of species for anglers. Jacks,
    drum, trout and sheephead all put a bend in the rod. There have also
    been nice groupers near rocky shorelines and older sea walls. Plenty
    of snapper as well for those looking to put dinner on the table, all
    it takes is a live shrimp and fish on.

The fresh side largemouth bass action with top water baits is great from
    sun up to sun down. Doa cal 4 inch jerk baits and Doa airheads
    produce explosive strikes. Live shiners also provoke many strikes for
    anglers as well, usually drawing in the bigger fish.

Peacock bass fishing easy getting better and better as water temperatures
    start to rise with the warmer temperatures we have been experiencing.
    Fast moving baits trigger strikes as live shiners. Fly fishing for
    the peacock is great along seawalls and sandy bottom areas. The
    peacock bass are schooling together and are ranging in size from 2 to
    5 pounds.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed
    remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there ad get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,

Monday, 2/16/15, I fished the backwaters of lower Hickory Bay with Patrick Gartland, his dad, Tom Gartland, and friend, Chris Ladtke. The guys used live shrimp to catch four nice sheepshead to 16 inches. They released four redfish shorts in the 17-to-18-inch range, along with a dozen mangrove snapper shorts and a 15-inch snook.

Tuesday, 2/17, high winds and seas prevented an offshore trip, and I fished the backwaters with Steve Fisher and Dale Neil. The spots that had been productive the previous day for large sheepshead were not as productive in terms of keeper-sized fish. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release two 17-inch redfish shorts, three sheepshead shorts, a puffer-fish and a stingray.

Wednesday through Friday, 2/18 through 2/20, brought more winds, rough seas, low tides, and frigid temperatures. I canceled my fishing trips for those days.

Saturday morning, 2/21, I fished in lower Hickory Bay, trying to fish on the best of the morning’s low tide. Joe Haberkorn and friends, Jerry and George, released nine ladyfish and a couple of three-pound stingray, caught on shrimp.

Monday morning, 2/23, I headed offshore 22 miles west of New Pass to fish with long-time customer, Kari Vilamaa and his friend George. The guys caught twenty nice lane snapper to 15 inches, three 14-inch porgies, and a few good-sized grunts. They released ten red grouper shorts to 18 inches and two 18-inch gag grouper shorts.

Tuesday 2/24, began foggy and ended foggy, with only a little clearing in between. I fished all day with Jack Miller, his son, Vince, and friends, Alan Feingold, Tim Moore, and Dick Deldello. We went out about 18 miles, and with winds and seas picking up, decided not to venture too much further. The snapper bite was good and the guys boxed eighteen nice mangrove snapper, all 14 and 15 inches, caught on live shrimp. They added to the box a dozen keeper lane snapper, a half dozen 14-inch porgies, a few good-sized grunts, and a brace of 17-inch sheepshead. They released two dozen grouper shorts, a mix of reds and gags, to 18 inches.

Wednesday, 2/25, I fished in various spots between 18 and 28 miles west of New Pass with long-time customer Tony Rolli and his grandsons, A.J. Rolli and Cory Bomer. It was another foggy morning, but it cleared up for most of the day, and got foggy again when the wind changed on our way in. The guys did well fishing with live shrimp, and caught a brace of 21-inch red grouper, a 24-inch king mackerel, a dozen keeper lane snapper to 15 inches, and a few grunts. They released twenty-five porgy shorts, all about 11 ½ inches.

Thursday and Friday, 2/26 and 2/27 brought rain, winds and small-craft advisories yet again--a familiar theme this month. I had to cancel my offshore trips, and the bay was not an option, with barely enough water to float the boat, with negative tide conditions persisting most of each day.

Saturday, 2/27, winds and seas began to calm down, but were still up to 4 feet well offshore. My full-day offshore trip scheduled for that day decided to cancel.

The photo shown is of angler, Tom Gartland with a 16-inch sheepshead, caught on shrimp on a recent trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Cold fronts blast through our area, with a bang. The biggest front of the
    year by far brought wind rain and a brisk chill. Seas were up and the
    fishing never really slowed, anglers just kept pounding away and they
    were rewarded.

Inshore snook action is good around mangroves
    and muddy bottom areas. The cool fronts slowed the bite at times, as
    the sun rose over head the fish turned on. Snook are ranging in size
    from 2 to 15 pounds, willing to take live baits, artificial and
    flies. Deeper holes snook can be found schooling up, jigs worked on
    the bottom gets these lunkers excited.

Tarpon action continues in the backcountry, mangrove shorelines and holes are holding
    schooling fish. Live baits drifted with the tide provoke many
    strikes. Fly and doa jigs also entice the silver kings, with the
    negative tides we have had the fish are very active during first and
    last of the tides.

Jacks can be found cruising the seawalls and docks in search of mullet.
    These fish are aggressive, top water plugs entice these beast to
    strike.. The jacks are ranging from 5 to 30 pounds. Schoolie jacks
    can be found on grass flats chasing glass minnow schools.

Grass flats are holding plenty of jacks, bluefish, trout and ladyfish. Doa
    shrimp with a popping cork will get the job done. Anglers looking for
    explosive action top water plugs are a blast as fish blast the lure
    on the surface.

Freshwater action for bass has been very good, grass mats and grassy shorelines
    are holding plenty of fish. Residential canals are holding fish in
    the 4 to 5 pound range doa cal jerk baits work great. Fly fishing
    popper and small deceivers also entice strikes.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week hope you all enjoyed.
    Remember you can't catch them from the couch, so get out there and
    get hooked up. Tight lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,
    phlatsinshorefishing.com,

The past week has offered cool fronts and cool temperatures. With all
    this the fishing has continued to thrive as water temperatures drop.
    Back bays and canals have been the keys to success.

Snook are plentiful big fish along sea walls and docks. Low tide offers
    fantastic sight fishing for snook, live bait, artificial lures and
    fly all entice the linesiders to chew. Schooling fish are holding
    near drop offs and Grass flat edges, jigging doa 4 inch cal baits in
    glow and gold gets the drag screaming. Smaller snook are being caught
    near mangrove shorelines producing double digit numbers of catch for
    anglers.

The back bays and channels present anglers with
    plenty of silver king action. Tarpon are active sunrise and sunset,
    tarpon can be seen rolling on the surface. Live baits free lined or a
    top water plug entice to tarpon to strike. Average size of the
    acrobatic beauties ranges from 5 to 40 pounds.

Trout action has been firing in the palm beaches. Grass flats and deep holes
    produce trout from 2 to 6 pounds. Jigging doa shrimp in holographic
    and glow and gold, has been the bait of choice. Chumming with live
    baits gets the schoolie fish fired up and close to the boat, great
    for fly fishing action.

Jacks, "monster jacks" are cruising sea walls and docks in search bait. Top water plugs and live
    baits produce jacks up to 25 pounds, these brutes cause aches and
    pains, but its a blast. Multiple anglers can expect a Chinese fire
    drill once a school attacks anglers baits, running every direction
    possible. I consider this organized chaos.

Peacock bass fishing has slowed do to the cooler temperatures the past week.
    The peacock will feed but they are very sluggish during the fight.
    Live shiners had been the best way to hook up the past week.

Large mouth bass fishing on local lakes and lake Okeechobee has offered a
    great bite mid day when water temperatures start to rise. Jigging and
    trolling rattle traps has produced great results. Live shiners is
    another way to get the rod bent.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed. Remember you can't
    catch them from the couch so get out there and get hooked up tight
    lines! Capt. Craig korczynski,

Snook are plentiful big fish along sea walls and docks. Low tide offers
    fantastic sight fishing for snook, live bait, artificial lures and
    fly all entice the linesiders to chew. Schooling fish are holding
    near drop offs and Grass flat edges, jigging doa 4 inch cal baits in
    glow and gold gets the drag screaming. Smaller snook are being caught
    near mangrove shorelines producing double digit numbers of catch for
    anglers.

The back bays and channels present anglers with
    plenty of silver king action. Tarpon are active sunrise and sunset,
    tarpon can be seen rolling on the surface. Live baits free lined or a
    top water plug entice to tarpon to strike. Average size of the
    acrobatic beauties ranges from 5 to 40 pounds.

Trout action has been firing in the palm beaches. Grass flats and deep holes
    produce trout from 2 to 6 pounds. Jigging doa shrimp in holographic
    and glow and gold, has been the bait of choice. Chumming with live
    baits gets the schoolie fish fired up and close to the boat, great
    for fly fishing action.

Jacks, "monster jacks" are cruising sea walls and docks in search bait. Top water plugs and live
    baits produce jacks up to 25 pounds, these brutes cause aches and
    pains, but its a blast. Multiple anglers can expect a Chinese fire
    drill once a school attacks anglers baits, running every direction
    possible. I consider this organized chaos.

Peacock bass fishing has slowed do to the cooler temperatures the past week.
    The peacock will feed but they are very sluggish during the fight.
    Live shiners had been the best way to hook up the past week.

Large mouth bass fishing on local lakes and lake Okeechobee has offered a
    great bite mid day when water temperatures start to rise. Jigging and
    trolling rattle traps has produced great results. Live shiners is
    another way to get the rod bent.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed. Remember you can't
    catch them from the couch so get out there and get hooked up tight
    lines! Capt. Craig korczynski,

Monday, 2/2/15, brought a cold front, right on the heels of a previous front. It was raining by early in the day, and winds and seas kicked up to small craft advisory levels—not a happy way to begin a new month of fishing!

Tuesday, 2/3, brought an even more blustery day, with seas of 4-6 feet offshore, which canceled out my planned offshore trip for that day.

Wednesday morning, 2/4 Randy Peterson and his friend, Al, had an inshore trip scheduled with me. Tides are super low right now, but we planned on a later departure to get the best of a bad tide. Still, fishing was tough in lower Hickory Bay, where the guys used live shrimp to catch and release two sheepshead shorts, two mangrove snapper shorts, and a stingray.

Winds and seas were relentless all week, and Thursday also brought rain and thunderstorms. I cancelled both my Thursday and Friday offshore trips, due to rough and miserable conditions. Bay fishing was also compromised by dead low tides, the north wind adding to the shallowness there.

By Saturday, 2/7, winds were somewhat calmer. Seas were a little sloppy, but had subsided to two-to-three feet. I headed 18 to 22 miles offshore to fish with long-time customer, Leonard White, who was accompanied by his son, Steve, his teen grandson, Colin, and two family friends, Henry and John. Colin got the catch-of-the-day, a keeper red grouper at 22 inches, which bit a pinfish. The group released twenty red grouper shorts to 19 inches, caught on shrimp. They boxed a few good-sized grunts, a couple of porgies, a 13-inch sheepshead, and a keeper lane snapper, also caught on shrimp.

I don’t generally fish on Sundays but, having canceled several trips, due to rough conditions, I offered the calmer conditions on Sunday to the anglers who had been forced to cancel a trip that had been scheduled for Friday. So, Sunday, 2/8, I headed offshore with Gary Liesmann, Lenny White and Ted Davies. Seas were a little sloppy heading out, but calmed down nicely, as predicted, and we made it to 35 miles west of New Pass, where the guys fished with live shrimp. They caught and released thirty red grouper shorts to 19 ½ inches, along with two 23-inch gag grouper, which are currently out of season. Boxed fish included some huge porgies—ten of those were 19 to 19 1/2 inches—along with an 18-inch mangrove snapper and a 13-inch yellowtail snapper. The guys released about ten additional porgies that were slightly smaller than the ones they boxed.

Monday morning, 2/9, rains were predicted for the afternoon, but seas were relatively calm, and the morning looked like a good opportunity to get offshore with John and Carla Vepraskas and friends, Mark Miller and Michelle Tate. We did have some light rain earlier than expected, but nothing that we couldn’t handle. On the way back in, however, we had some heavier rains chasing us. The group used live shrimp 22 miles west of New Pass, and caught twenty-six red grouper, including one keeper at 21 inches. Many of the shorts we released were just short of the 20-inch legal size by about ½ inch. The group also caught thirty-four porgies, and kept a couple of the largest ones at 14 inches. They added to the fish box five 13-inch grunts and fifteen keeper lane snapper.

Tuesday, 2/10, the winds from the cold front that arrived on the heels of the previous day’s rain were gusty, and seas were four to seven feet offshore. My fishing trip canceled, and hoped to reschedule form a better day.

Wednesday, 2/11, was moderately windy, much less so than the day before. But seas were in the three-to-four foot range offshore, too rough for Don Kalmey and friends, Jim and Bill, especially with Bill’s young grandson along. The tide in the back-bay was supposed to be incoming all morning, with high tide at noon, but we fished a very low tide that first started to come in around noon. The guys released a half dozen undersized sheepshead, caught on shrimp in lower Hickory Bay.

Thursday, 2/12, winds and seas were much calmer until late afternoon, so fishing in two-foot seas, 22 miles west of New Pass with frequent fishers Ron Musick and Eddie Alfonso, joined by friends, Fred, Kay, and Liz, was no problem. The ride back in, however, was a slow one, as winds picked up considerably by then. The group used live shrimp to catch four nice mangrove snapper to 14 inches, as well as a big lane snapper at 16 inches. They added to the box a dozen porgies to 14 inches, along with a few 13 and 14-inch grunts. They released fifteen red grouper shorts to 19 inches, along with an 8-foot sandbar shark that bit a bait-fish.

Friday, 2/13 brought rough seas of three-to-five feet back again, and my offshore trip canceled.

My trip for Saturday, 2/14, deferred to Sunday, 2/15, when seas were predicted to be slightly calmer than the two-to-four feet predicted for Saturday, and temperatures would be far warmer than the 41 degrees of Saturday morning.

So, Sunday, 2/15, I headed 19 miles offshore with Alec Bayer, his uncle, Bob Snyder, Bob’s son, Zack Snyder, and friends, Buck Bachura and Cameron Kovach. Winds were calm at first, and seas nicer than they had been but, by late morning, conditions were getting a little sloppier, as winds again picked up speed. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release fifteen red grouper shorts to 18 inches, and two out-of-season triggerfish at 14 ½ and 15 ½ inches. They boxed a dozen keeper lane snapper to 15 inches and a half dozen grunts.

The photo shown is of angler Lenny White, with a 19 ½-inch porgy, caught on shrimp on a recent offshore trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Tarpon fishing has been great in the ICW and inside the local inlets. The
    bigger tarpon are grouped up hanging near deep channel edges and drop
    offs. These tarpon are ranging in size from 10 to 40 pounds, they are
    picky at times best bet, fish the out going tides using live baits or
    doa shrimp and cal in glow and gold and pearl worked along the bottom
    produce great results. The smaller tarpon are in the back bays and
    canals taking plugs , jigs and live baits worked in there vicinity.
    The tarpon can be seen near the surface allowing anglers to pin point
    were the bait should be presented.

Snook fishing is on fire do to bait schools and strong tidal flow. Schools
    of snook can be found in potholes and around sand flats. Doa 4 inch
    cal rigged weedless and live baits will get your drag screaming. Be
    sure to stay quite when fishing shallow, snook spoke easily. Docks
    and sea walls allow anglers to sight fish snook, using doa cal and
    doa shrimp in glow and gold glitter and Arkansas glow. The snook are
    actively taking top water plugs in the shallow, last of outgoing tide
    working plug slowly near structure and pot holes for best results.

Grass flats are holding good numbers of jacks, bluefish trout and some
    drum. Popping corks with a doa shrimp work great. Live shrimp drifted
    or jig heads tipped with shrimp bounced off bottom trigger strikes as
    well. Depths to target are 3 to 5 feet looking for grass patches and
    sand holes.

Lake Okeechobee bass bite has been strong live shiners produces great
    numbers of fish ranging from 3 to 7 pounds. Saw grass edges and reed
    grass great areas to locate the large mouth bass. Doa airheads worked
    over the surface of thick grass gets the drag screaming, anglers can
    battle fish in thick brush to catch there next trophy fish.

Peacock bass are still active in local canals, water temperatures are
    dropping but the peacocks are hanging near deep drop offs and grass
    edges staying war. Doa 2 inch shrimp on a fly rod produce results as
    well, live shiners soaked near sea walls and docks.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week hope you enjoyed.
    Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,

Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast