Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida

Joe George and his two sons, Eric and Brad, fished 23 miles west of New Pass with me on Monday morning, 7/6. The catch-of-the-morning was a 27-inch red grouper, which bit a baitfish. The guys also caught a dozen keeper-sized lane snapper, which they chose to release, along with yellowtail and mangrove snapper shorts and eight red grouper shorts.

Wednesday morning’s tide in the backwaters wasn’t optimal, when I fished in lower Hickory Bay, Fish Trap Bay, and central Estero Bay with John and Dauma Glennon, but the couple did catch a 14-inch permit to keep, along with a 12-inch keeper mangrove snapper, on shrimp. They released a dozen mangrove snapper shorts, along with three stingray.

Thursday morning, 7/9, though NOAA had predicted seas less than two feet, it was a little sloppy heading offshore, probably due to the strong thunderstorms of the previous night. So, I stayed 10-12 miles from shore with Jack Carey, his fourteen-year-old grandson, Jack, and Jack's fourteen-year-old friend, Beck. The boys used live shrimp to catch and release red grouper shorts and grunts. As for keepers, they landed fourteen lane snapper to 13 inches, and planned to have those for dinner.

Larry Jack, who usually fishes with me a couple days each summer, was joined by friend, Ernie Morrison on Monday morning, 7/13, when we fished the east wall of Estero Bay. I netted a bunch of whitebaits on the way out, and we caught everything on those. The guys caught two limits of keeper mangrove snapper to 12 inches. They released two crevalle jacks, each about two pounds, along with a redfish short. They both got a chance to catch and release the same big snook—first it bit Ernie’s bait, ran with that, then bit Larry’s bait, and both hooks in its mouth! It was a fun battle for both guys, over slot at 39 inches, and out of season anyway.

Larry and Ernie had planned to fish offshore with me on Tuesday, but with scattered storms across the gulf, they decided to do another morning in the backwaters. They used shrimp and whitebaits to fish lower Hickory Bay, where they caught a keeper mangrove snapper, released a few short mangs, and caught two redfish to 18 ½ inches.

Wednesday morning, 7/15, Dennis Blais and friends fished offshore with me. NOAA had predicted two-foot seas, but there were a lot of storms over the gulf, kicking up seas and making for pretty rough conditions. We managed to get out only about seven miles, and came in just a bit early, due to rain. But the group brought home a mess of keeper mangrove snapper to 15 inches and grunts, which bit live shrimp. They released five red grouper shorts.

After a night of heavy thunderstorms, Thursday morning, 7/16, the rains quit in our area around 8AM, and I headed out shortly afterwards to fish Estero Bay’s backwaters with Mark and Pam Solloway and their two sons, Jared and Shane. The family used live shrimp to catch ten keeper mangrove snapper to 11 inches.

The photo shown is of anglers Larry Jack and Ernie Morrison, with a 39-inch snook, caught on a whitebait and released in Estero Bay on a recent inshore trip. This snook bit Ernie’s hook first, ran with it, then came back and bit Larry’s bait, so they both caught the same fish!

You can check out all of our shark and goliath grouper action videos at the following link.

fishing videos

http://fishbustercharters.com/fishingvideos.html

Captain Dave Hanson
    Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net
    http://www.fishbustercharters.com

Evan Hamilton, Arly Smart, and Arly’s son, Justice, fished 22 miles west of New Pass with me in calm seas on Monday morning, 6/22/15. The guys used live shrimp to catch a 24-inch keeper red grouper, along with twenty keeper lane snapper, a keeper mangrove snapper, and three 13-inch porgies. They released a dozen red grouper shorts, four mangrove snapper shorts, and a few yellowtail shorts.

Tuesday, 6/23, Long-time customer Russ Maavich and his three sons, Alex, Brett and Ryan fished in spots from 28 to 35 miles west of New Pass. They used pinfish to land three keeper red grouper, two at 20 ½ inches and one at 21 1/2 inches. Using live shrimp, they added six yellowtail snapper to 15 inches, a 14-inch mangrove snapper, fifteen keeper lane snapper 11-13 inches, and three porgies to the fish box. They released two dozen red grouper shorts to 18 inches, two dozen lane snapper shorts, a dozen yellowtail shorts, and five sharpnose sharks between 35 and 38 inches.

Mike and Carol Lee fished 20 miles offshore with me on Thursday morning, 6/25. They had no interest in keeping fish—only in catching them--so it was a catch-and-release trip. Catches included two red grouper at 22 inches and 22 ½ inches, along with two dozen red grouper shorts. The larger of the two legal sized red grouper bit a pinfish, while the other bit on shrimp. Also caught on shrimp were thirty would-be-keeper lane snapper to 12 inches, yellowtail and mangrove snapper shorts, grunts, and a 35-inch sharpnose shark.

Saturday morning, 6/27, I dodged a few rain showers offshore, 20 to 22 miles west of New Pass, with Karen Droke, her 12-year-old granddaughter, Riley, and friend, Joe Simeone. They caught two keeper red grouper at 22 ½ inches and 23 inches, which bit on pinfish. Using live shrimp, the group caught thirty keeper-sized lane snapper, but chose to keep only the largest two of those, at 14 inches. They also released a 15-inch triggerfish, a 20-inch Spanish mackerel, some mangrove snapper shorts, and lots of red grouper shorts.

Bob Schaefer and son Nick with friends, John Lunden and son, Michael fished with live shrimp 20 to 28 miles offshore with me on Monday, 6/29. The guys did well with lane snapper, catching twenty-eight keepers to 15 inches. They also caught two keeper 13-inch mangrove snapper, grunts and porgies. They released four mangrove snapper shorts, lots of red grouper shorts to just under legal size, and four sharks--four sharpnose and one bonnethead--all around 40 inches.

Bud Baker and three friends fished Estero Bay's backwaters with me, along the east wall, south of Mound Key, on Tuesday morning, 6/30. The guys caught two redfish, including one keeper at 21 inches and one 17 1/2 inches, which we released. They also caught five keeper mangrove snapper to 11 1/2 inches, all on live shrimp.

Rich Mohr took three young anglers on a catch-and-release backwater trip with me on Wednesday morning, 7/1/15. The boys had fun catching and releasing two 14-inch permit, a sand bream, a small snook, and 40 undersized mangrove snapper, all on live shrimp in central Estero Bay.

J. Weigle and son, J. Weigle, Jr., fished the west wall of Estero Bay with me, south of New Pass, on Thursday morning, 7/2. Using live shrimp, they caught a 25-inch redfish, four keeper mangrove snapper to 12 inches, and a 15-inch sheepshead. They released two four-pound stingrays and fifteen mangrove snapper shorts.

Friday morning, 7/3, Jim & Dawn Jenkins and their two daughters fished near-shore with me, nine miles west of New Pass over hard bottom. They used live shrimp to catch five keeper lane snapper to 12 inches and some grunts. They released thirty lane shorts, along with fifteen red grouper shorts to 19 3/4 inches, just short of keeper size.

The photo shown is of angler Betty Bergland, with a 35-inch blacknose shark, caught on shrimp and released on a recent offshore trip.

You can check out all of our shark and goliath grouper action videos at the following link.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Default Palm Beach Jupiter salt and freshwater inshore report

Happy July 4th” sunshine, boating, barbecue and fire works,
    that is enough to get get everyone excited. The seas have been calm
    and fishing drag screaming action will prevail. The week will offer
    plenty of explosive action as fire works and fish take action, hold
    on tight it going to be a wild ride.

The beaches are teaming with snook and tarpon from Hobe Sound to Boynton Beach. Live baits and Doa cal and shad tails in pearl and holographic are the best methods for enticing strikes. The snook bite as well as the tarpon bite is fantastic at day break and slows as the day progresses and once again picks back up at sunset. Top water lures also work great, be sure to work the lure fast causing lots of commotion. Average size of the snook has been 5 to 20 pounds.

Grass flats are offering great action for seat trout, jacks, snook, reds ad
    tarpon. The flats area great to work live baits and artificial baits
    like do a cal 3 inch and doa shrimp in holographic and glow and gold.
    Anglers can expect great action I depths from 2 to 6 feet of water.
    Glass minnow are great signs predator fish are in the area.

Peacock bass action is full steam ahead, warm water have the peacock bass
    thriving on the beds as they are spawning mode. Live shiners are
    great for anglers looking for big numbers, artificial baits lie doa
    shrimp in fire tiger and glow and gold work great well as candy corn
    3 inch cal. Other exotic species like mayan cichlids, oscars and
    knife fish are plentiful for anglers to tango with .

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope you all enjoyed.
    Remember you cant catch them from the couch, so get out there and get
    hooked up. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig Korczynski,
    PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Ryan Hall, Matt Hoffman, Greg Wetzel, and Tom Brackmann headed 25 miles offshore with me on Monday, 6/8, hoping to catch some grouper. The guys did well, catching twenty-eight red grouper in all, three of which were keepers at 24 inches each. Those larger grouper bit on bait-fish, while live shrimp lured some smaller ones, along with grunts, porgies, lane snapper and yellowtail snapper. The guys added one nice-sized lane to the fish box, and released the rest, along with two 40-inch sharp-nose sharks.

Tuesday, 6/9, Adam Bennett and son, Max, fished offshore with me in spots ranging from 23 to 29 miles west of New Pass. We used bait-fish to catch three keeper red grouper that were all around 21 inches, and a slightly smaller keeper at 20 ½ inches bit on a live shrimp. In addition to the four keepers, the guys caught thirty red grouper shorts, which they released. They added a dozen keeper lane snapper to the fish box. They released a 30-inch sharp-nose shark, two goliath grouper, one about 25 pounds and one just under 200 pounds, as well as a 15-inch triggerfish, fifteen yellowtail snapper shorts, ten mangrove snapper shorts, and a few grunts.

Seas were rougher than predicted Saturday morning, 6/13, when I headed out with Joe Hogue, his son Adam, and son-in-law, Dave. We braved the seas to get out twenty miles from New Pass. The guys caught a 23-inch, keeper red grouper on a baitfish, and released twenty-five red grouper shorts. Using shrimp, they added a few more fish to the box, including eight 15-inch porgies, a dozen keeper lane snapper to 12 inches, nine 11-13-inch grunts, and a nice hogfish at 18 inches.

David and Susan James and their son, Matthew, and daughter, Katerina, fished offshore with me Tuesday, 6/16, in spots ranging from 12 to 20 miles west of New Pass. The family caught three keeper red grouper, including a brace of 20 1/2-inch and one 22 inch. They released twenty additional red grouper to 18 inches, along with some grunts, yellowtail snapper and mangrove snapper shorts. They also boxed ten keeper lane snapper, and released five lane shorts. The larger red grouper bit on baitfish, while everything else was caught on live shrimp.

Brian and Julie Clark, who have fished with me several times, were joined by their friends Arthur and Dana Ashby for an offshore trip on Wednesday, 6/17. We fished in various spots out to 25 miles west of New Pass, and the group had a few fun sport-fishing experiences, along with catching a good variety of table-fare. A 24-inch red grouper keeper that bit on a pinfish went into the fish box, along with shrimp-eaters that included a 13-inch mangrove snapper, a dozen lane snapper keepers to 12 inches, two porgies 13 and 14 inches, two porkfish keepers, and a dozen 12-inch grunts. We released twenty-five red grouper shorts, a few yellowtail snapper shorts, and two triggerfish to 15 inches. As for big game, the group battled and released three sharpnose sharks, all about 35 inches, as well as a 40-pound goliath grouper.

Thomas Kane and fiancé Monica Alarcon, joined by Thomas’s son Edward, Thomas’s brother and sister-in-law, Kevin and Kim Palmer, and their daughter, Morgan, fished all day with me on Thursday, 6/18, in spots ranging from 20 to 29 miles west of New Pass. The group had a great time catching a variety of sport-fish and food-fish. One keeper red grouper at just under 24 inches bit on a pinfish, and made it into the fish box, joined by a 13-inch mangrove snapper, a 13-inch yellowtail snapper, and two dozen lane snapper to 14 inches that all bit live shrimp. The group battled and released ten sharpnose sharks and one bonnethead shark, all between 38 and 45 inches long. They also released thirty red grouper shorts, a few mangrove and yellowtail snapper shorts, and a few grunts to 13 inches.

Peter Halunen and his son, Clayton, fished calm seas 22 miles west of New Pass with me on Saturday morning, 6/20. Using live shrimp, the guys caught a 21-inch keeper red grouper and nineteen nice lane keepers to 17 ½ inches, with four of those being in the 17-inch range and another half dozen in the 15 inch range, They caught and released a 40-inch blacknose shark, along with lots of red grouper shorts and mangrove, lane and yellowtail snapper shorts.

The photo shown is of angler, Peter Halunen with a 17 ½-inch lane snapper, caught on shrimp Saturday.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Monday morning, 5/18, Mike and Casey Calvert fished a catch-and-release trip with me in Estero Bay’s Mound Key area, using live shrimp for bait. The couple caught and released a good variety of fish, some of which were would-be keepers. The couple released a pair of 18-inch snook, a 16-inch black drum, two redfish at 17 inches and 22 inches, two sheepshead to 14 inches, two mangrove snapper to 12 inches, and a 12-inch mutton snapper. The mutton is kind of an unusual catch in the backwaters.

Ron and Betty Bergland fished offshore with me Tuesday morning, 5/19, about 20 miles west of New Pass. Ron caught a nice, keeper red grouper at 24 inches, which bit on a bait-fish. The rest of the couple’s catches were on shrimp, and included fifteen red grouper shorts to just below the 20-inch legal size, thirteen yellowtail snapper, including one keeper at 13 inches, three keeper lane snapper, all about 12 inches, a half-dozen porgies, including one keeper, and fourteen grunts. The Berglands also released a 3 ½-foot blacknose shark and a 9-foot nurse shark.

Wednesday morning, 5/20, John Fiorito and his son, Mike, fished Estero Bay's backwaters with me, in the area around New Pass. Using live shrimp, they caught four keeper mangrove snapper, all measuring about 11 inches, along with a 12 1/2-inch sheepshead. They released fifteen mangrove snapper shorts and two sheepshead shorts.

Thursday, 5/21, Mark Weikel and son, Zach, wanted to learn about fishing in Estero Bay, and chose a catch-and-release trip that covered a lot of territory. We fished in spots from Mound Key south to the Imperial River, using live shrimp. The guys released three redfish all about 17 inches, along with three sheepshead and a dozen would-be-keeper mangrove snapper at 11 to 12 inches. They also released a short mutton snapper, which is the second mutton I have seen in the backwaters this week—very unusual.

Saturday morning, 5/23, Bob Miller, son Jeff, and thirteen-year-old grandson, JJ, fished 22 miles offshore with me, using live shrimp. The guys caught two keeper red grouper at 22 inches and 24 inches, JJ having landed the larger one, which weighed nine pounds. The group added a 13-inch mangrove snapper to the fish box, along with five keeper porgies to 14 inches. They released about thirty red grouper shorts, along with a three-foot bonnethead shark.

I was off the water for about a week, given the typical end-of-May lull, plus some family plans that took up most of the Memorial Day weekend. I got back out fishing on Monday June 1st, when I fished the west wall of Estero Bay on an inshore catch-and-release trip with Keith and Chris Miller. The couple had no desire to keep fish, but enjoyed a relaxing morning on the water catching a good variety. They released a 14-inch flounder, two sheepshead to 14 inches, a 12-inch mutton snapper (yes, another one of those in the bay, which is odd), a 13-inch pompano, seven mangrove snapper to12 inches, and three sail-cats to 23 inches.

Scott Saveraid and friends usually book a few goliath grouper trips each year, for the thrill of reeling in the big ones. Scott was joined by Mike Wernsman, Terry Brandt, and Ran Woodsin this trip, which was on Tuesday morning, 6/2. The guys used blue runners to lure four goliaths to the surface, where they were photographed and released. The weight estimates on those were 50 pounds, 65 pounds, 180 pounds and 200 pounds, which made for lots of sore arms. The guys used live shrimp to catch and release two cobia, one 26 inches and one 30 inches.

Wednesday morning, 6/3, I headed 25 miles offshore with long-time customer, Bob Sawyer, joined by his friends, Bill Jameson, Bill Teutsch, and Keith Kies. The guys caught twenty-eight red grouper, including three keepers at 21 ½ inches, 23 inches, and 26 inches. The keepers all bit on bait-fish, and the 25 shorts to 18 ½ inches bit on live shrimp. Also on shrimp, the guys caught eighteen keeper lane snapper to 12 inches, and four 14-inch grunts.

Scott Saveraid, Mike Wernsman, Terry Brandt, and Ran Woodsin, who fished for catch-and-release goliaths with me on Tuesday, fished again with me Thursday morning, 6/4, this time going after table-fare. The guys caught three keeper red grouper, two of which bit bait-fish, and one that bit on shrimp. The group boxed a 20 ½, 21 and 23-inch trio of red grouper, and released thirty shorts. Two big ones also broke the line and got away. Added to the fish box were a couple of keeper lane snappers and a 13-inch mangrove snapper. The guys released ten mangrove snapper shorts, four lane snapper shorts, a 36-inch bonnet-head shark, and a 38-inch sharp-nose shark, along with lots of blue runners.

The photo shown is of angler Keith Kies, with a 26-inch red grouper, caught on a bait-fish on a recent offshore trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

June has arrived and the heat is on and rain has been scarce. The kids
    have a week of school left meaning the water is going to get very
    busy. Time to have some fun in the sun.

The inshore fishing is producing great catches of snook, near inlets deep
    channels and along sea walls. Live baits and doa 4 inch cal and doa
    terror eyz work great. The snook are very active early in the
    morning, late afternoon and well into the night. Average size of the
    snook has ranged from 2 to 20 pounds. Top water plugs worked in a
    walk the dog brings plenty of surface explosions, the snook are very
    aggressive on the flats. Snook season is closed and the snook are
    spawning so be very cautious when handling these beauties.

Tarpon are still abundant in the icw waters near canals and bays. Live baits
    drifted near the bottom provide explosive action. Doa bait busters
    and doa 4 cals worked near the bottom work great as well, morning and
    late afternoon best time to target the tarpon. Outgoing tide provides
    best action as well look for rolling fish as clues to work baits. The
    beaches are full of tarpon the best bet is to get out there at sun
    rise and beat the traffic. Look for rolling fish and present a root
    beer doa bait buster or doa terror eyz or live bait in there vicinity
    and hold on.

Grass flats are holding a wide variety of fish at sunrise when waters are
    cool. Snook, trout, jacks, snapper, and lady fish are all present.
    Live shrimp, greenies and jigs under a popping cork, will get your
    rod bent. Artificial plugs like spoons and top water plugs are great
    search baits for anglers to us e to locate schooling fish. Doa cal
    and doa shrimp very effective for the snook and trout worked along
    the grassy bottom.

Freshwater action for the peacock bass has anglers excited as explosive action
    continues. Doa 4 inch paddle tails and 3 inch cal provide aggressive
    strikes. Live shiners great for anglers looking for non stop rod
    bending action with the beautiful peacock bass. The peacock are being
    found on beds and along sea walls. Large mouth bass and Mayan
    cichlids also putting up a fight for anglers whether using fly live
    bait or artificial lures anglers can expect action.

Well that is the fishing report for the past week, hope everybody enjoyed.

May keeps on moving along and summer has arrived, bring the heat and fun
    in the sun. Kids are out of school and the fish are active and ready
    to chew.

Jupiter is providing great silver king action, beaches,inlets and ICW all
    producing great fishing. The tarpon on the beach are ranging in size
    from 40 to 90 pounds. Live baits and doa bait busters and terror eyes
    in rootbeer entice strikes. The key is fishing early morning and
    stealth, be very quiet. The fish are schooled up and can be seen near
    the shorelines rolling in the surface. The juvenile tarpon in the
    inter coastal water ways are very active to top water plugs and doa 4
    jerk baits early morning and late evening, rolling fish help anglers
    pinpoint casting direction.

Snook anglers this is the time, the snook are in the inlets and along the
    beaches. Live bait anglers greenies work great, but doa artificial
    lures work wonders, as they stand out and offer a different
    silhouette. The 4 inch doa cal jerk and doa 4 inch paddle tail in
    gold and glow and holographic grab the linesiders attention. Docks
    and seawalls holding fish as well, top water plugs work early morning
    and late afternoon. The average size of the snook has been 5 to 25
    pounds. Fly anglers sight fishing for the snook along the beach and
    inside the inlets will get your heart pumping, deceivers clousers and
    gurglers in white, green and gold great colors to let fly.

Grass flats are producing plenty of trout action using live baits and
    popping corks with artificial lures. Target depths from 2 to 5 feet,
    looking for any signs of bait especially glass minnow in the area.
    Mixed in with the trout are drum , jacks, snapper and a few flounder.

The warm weather and rain we have received has the peacock bass going
    crazy. The peacocks are very aggressive towards flies, artificial
    lures and live baits around there beds. and worked along the surface
    creating noise. At times it seems the faster you work the fly or
    artificial lure the more aggressive the peacock bass become. Sight
    fishing for these beauties is a blast and live baiting as well puts
    and smile on the anglers face once the drag starts screaming.

Remember you cant catch them from the couch. Tight Lines! Capt. Craig
    Korczynski, PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 561-644-4371

Default Palm Beach Jupiter salt and freswater inshore report

Snook season closes June 1st and the monster fish are everywhere
    you look. The docks, seawalls, flats and deep passes all are holding
    fish. Top water heddon spooks during low light hours creates
    explosive action for anglers, doa 4 inch cal with 1/8 ounce jig head
    and live baits worked through out the day will keep the drag
    screaming as well. The average size of the snook has been 2 to 25
    pounds.

Tarpon fishing is hot in the inlets and ICW, the beaches as well are
    producing fish when seas allow. Live baits drifted with the tide
    creates strikes, doa cal gold and glow with 1/8 ounce jig head great
    way to jump a silver king. Tides are the key to dancing with the
    silver kings and be sure to have a good rod and reel, always bow to
    the king. Average size of the tarpon has been 5 to 80 pounds.

Sea trout are striking doa shrimp and doa cal along with deceiver flies
    and live baits. The trout are be found in pot holes with grassy
    bottom. Sea trout are aggressive on both sides of the tides and range
    in size from 2 to 8 pounds.

Warm weather has the peacock bass bit going off. The peacock are hanging
    along seawalls, docks , drop offs, bridges and shorelines. Fast
    moving lures like a weedless 3 or 4 inch cal in gold and glow, or
    figi chix gets the strike. Top water plugs like a heedon spook jr
    entices great explosions well. Fly fishing is another great way to
    battles these colorful beauties, small deceivers and minnow patterns
    work great.

The best thing about fishing in south Florida there are so many species
    to target in our local waters especially exotic species. Mayan
    chichlids, oscars, clown knife fish and many others are caught will
    roaming the freshwater water ways. These species are very active as
    water temperatures rise and doa lures, fly fishing and live baits
    will get the rod bent.

PhlatsInshoreFishing.com, 5616444371

Stormy weather began setting in on Monday, 4/27, with lots of moisture over the gulf. By the time Tuesday rolled around, there were scattered showers over much of the area, but Mike Boden and I managed a morning of bay fishing, with just a few drizzles, and returned to the dock just before the heavy rains began. Mike used live shrimp in central Estero Bay to catch a trio of redfish, two of which were keepers at 18 ½ and 19 ½ inches. He lost a much bigger one that broke the line boat-side. He released four stingray to 4 pounds.

Winds remained strong and seas remained choppy on Saturday, 5/2. Gene and Yoshimi Issacs fished with live shrimp in central Estero Bay with me, in somewhat muddy conditions that were far from ideal. But the couple had a good time catching and releasing fifteen mangrove snapper shorts, one keeper-sized in the bunch, along with eight sheepshead shorts.

There was no getting offshore for the next couple of days, with small craft advisories in effect. I cancelled my offshore trip for Monday, 5/4, and was able to reschedule my Tuesday trip for Wednesday, 5/6, when seas finally calmed down and were actually nearly smooth, 22 miles west of New Pass, where I fished with brothers Tom and David Duval and their wives, Kate and Bev. The group did well using live shrimp. They boxed six keeper lane snapper to 14 inches, four keeper mangrove snapper to 14 inches, three porgies to 15 inches, and a 22-inch keeper red grouper. They released four mangrove snapper shorts, along with twenty red grouper shorts to 19 ½ inches, within a half-inch of keeper-size.

Thursday morning, 5/7, was another nice one offshore, where I fished 20 miles west of New Pass with Don and Cathy Balas and their friends, Richard and Louise Guimond. Using live shrimp, the couples landed fifteen keeper lane snapper, a half dozen keeper porgies to 14 inches, an 18-inch Spanish mackerel, and a keeper red grouper measuring 21 ½ inches. They released twenty-five additional red grouper that were shorts.

Friday morning, 5/8, I fished 21 miles offshore with Jim Jenkins, father-son team David and Eric Ewing, and Ken Fiedler. The group caught a lot of fish, including two keeper red grouper at 20 inches and 22 inches, the larger of them biting on a bait-fish, and the smaller on a live shrimp. The guys also used shrimp to catch and release twenty-eight red grouper shorts to 19 ½ inches. They boxed twenty keeper lane snapper and released an equal number of lane shorts, along with a half dozen mangrove snapper shorts. They topped off the fish box with two keeper porgies, and released four porgy shorts.

Monday, 5/11, seas were predicted to be two feet, but both winds and seas were higher than predicted 26 miles west of New Pass, where I fished with long-time, annual customers Doug and Wade Shepherd, father and son. We cut the planned full-day trip a little short, having caught plenty of fish and having had enough sloppy seas and heat by mid-afternoon. The guys caught three keeper red grouper, one at 22 inches, and a brace of 21-inchers. They released twenty red grouper shorts to 19 inches. They also caught eleven keeper lane snapper, and released lots of lane shorts. Everything bit on live shrimp.

Tuesday morning, 5/12, Justin Padgett, Ty Cooper, Randy Parks, and Doug Winters headed out with me to 22 miles west of New Pass. The guys caught thirty red grouper, including a keeper at 23 inches, which bit on a bait-fish. The shorts, to 18 ½ inches, bit on shrimp. The guys also got twenty lane snapper keepers, and released several shorts.

Good friends, Alan Upin, Richard Gerstein, and Ed Blackman, fished the backwaters of central Estero Bay on a catch-and-release trip with me on Wednesday morning, 5/13. Using live shrimp, they released a 17 ¾-inch redfish, a dozen mangrove snapper including five would-be-keepers, and two stingray to ten pounds.

The photo shown is of angler Bradley Miller, with a 25 ½-inch gag grouper, caught on a bait-fish and released on a recent offshore trip.

fishing videos

Captain Dave Hanson
    Bonita Beach, FL
    239 947-1688
    fishbuster@comcast.net

Snook action is firing, docks, seawalls, and shorelines continue to be the
    main targets. The snook are very active early morning and late
    afternoon. Live baits and top water plugs work great along seawalls
    and flats. Doa cal jigs are the choice bait for the docks. The full
    moon coming this month will trigger the spawn for the snook. This is
    the time when the big female fish gather in the local inlets,
    offering snook catches well into the double digit numbers but sizes
    from 15 to 30 pounds not uncommon.

Tarpon are starting to show in local inlets but the big pods of fish are
    still migrating south from the Stuart area. The back bays still hold
    juvenile fish, these fish are willing to take live baits and doa cal
    4 inch jerk worked on the bottom. Look for rolling fish as signs of
    life in the area, be sure to get in front of the fish and avoid
    spooking them.

Peacock bass fishing is stellar do to the warm weather patterns, water
    temperatures are rising. The peacock bass are striking flies, doa
    shrimp and doa cal jerk baits. Live shiners work great as well,
    anglers looking for explosive action small top water plugs or doa
    chuggers will get the explosions started. Sight fishing for the
    peacock is a blast and anglers that have experienced this or those
    who have not, it is something you will never forget and you will be
    hooked. Average size of the peacocks is 2 to 7 pounds.

The fresh water lake ans canals are teaming with action largemouth bass
    are very active all through the day but early morning and evening top
    water action is a blast. Jigging grassy shorelines or drop offs offer
    plenty of rod bending action. For fly angles gurglers worked along
    sea walls or grassy edges triggers great strikes as well. Exotic
    species like the mayan cichlids, oscars and talapia offer great
    action on the fly. These species might be small but put up a great
    fight.

Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast