Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82

Thread: Florida

Capt. Craig Korczynski (Phlats) Guest

Default Inshore Fishing Report May 3,

Inshore Fishing Report May 3, 2007 Jupiter/Palm Beach

Warm weather is among us, which has triggered an awesome Snook bite. The Snook have been going ballistic the past few weeks do to the warmer water temps and beautiful weather. The Palm Beach bite has been great around the sea walls and docks. Both low and high tides produce double digit numbers of Snook from 18 to 36”. Many of the Snook are being caught on soft plastic baits with a jig head, along with top water lures. Live bait also produces, but the bait has been scarce lately so live sand perch has been the bait of choice. The night fishing for Snook has also been hot with live shrimp and sand perch being used. Most of the bigger fish have been on the outside shadows of the dock lights. The smaller juveniles are stacked directly under the dock lights making for great sight fishing.

The Snook spawn is almost here and the bigger fish are already stacking up in the mouth of both Jupiter and Palm beach inlet. The best months are to come and the spawn usually peeks July and August. This is the perfect time to target those trophy Snook.

Palm beach has also produced huge Jacks along the sea walls. These fish are strong and make for great action on light tackle, with the average fish weighing 10 pounds and up to 25 pounds. The Sea trout bite has also been steady around the dock s were there is grass.

Jupiter has been great for a mixed bag of both common and Fat Snook. These fish are willing to take any bait near them. Low tide has been great for sight fishing, but the out going tide produces the best numbers of fish. The Jacks have also been plentifully up in the river near any sea wall, top water baits make for great explosive action along with live baits.

The Peacock bass bite has picked up tremendously do to warmer water temps. These fish are holding in 1 to 2 feet of water on pot holes in the grass and near water drains. The average fish caught weighs around 1 to 3 pounds. There are some bigger fish in the 5 to 7 pond range around. I recently broke a record for Peacock bass last week throwing the fly rod. I was using a 9 weight fly rod with a twelve pound tippet, and caught a six pounder that beat the current record by 2 pounds. The Largemouth bass have been taking top water lures and small crank baits. The Largemouth are holding from 2 to 6 feet of water. Anytime you see schools of shad the bass are there.

Well that is the report for the past few weeks if you would like to experience inshore fishing for any of the above mentioned species give Capt. Craig Korczynski a call 561-644-4371 or visit www.PhlatsInshoreFishing.com. Or email me at phlats1519@yahoo.com. Remember the Snook spawn is near book your trip now to catch your trophy Snook of a life time.

(Message edited by phlats on May 03, 2007)

Sandra Allen (The_captains_wife) Guest

Default The waters are warmer and the

The waters are warmer and the fishing is hotter!

Sandra Allen
    Book Me A Charter

Aprils cool beginning should have us fishing a longer spring season for inshore species of fish. Expect our Apalachicola area waters to slowly warm. As May temperatures start to heat up the bays and estuarial area waters expect the fishing in general to be good, some days excellent with the right conditions.

popjpeg{7084,Apalachicola Bay Redfish
    popjpeg{7085,Apalachicola Speckled Trout

Inshore… The inshore fishing was on fire during the month of April. We expect the “catching” trend to continue into May. Our target fish this month are Spanish Mackeral, Speckled trout, Redfish, Black Drum and Flounder just to name a few of the many species that we catch this time of year. If you’ve ever been out triple tail fishing and were able to snag one of those fighting rascals you know you have to go out and do it again. I’ve got great news for all you tripletail enthusiast- The tripletail are here! Expect May fishing to be good through out the month.

Speckled Trout, Tripletail, Redfish and Spanish Mackeral are the hot ticket for the inshore angler this month…

Don’t limit yourself to one species of fish guys, go for the slam!

We do offer FLOUNDER GIGGING charters for the Apalachicola area waters.

popjpeg{7086,Offshore Red Snapper
    popjpeg{7087,offshore Red Snapper Limit}

Offshore.... May and June is typically a calm month for offshore fishing. Aprils offshore fishing was good, we expect it the fishing to only get better in May and June as the gulf waters warm with our beautiful spring weather. Expect to catch Grouper, Snapper, Triggerfish, King Mackeral and Cobia for a mixed bag of reef dwellers while bottom fishing or flat lining our area reefs and wrecks.

We have been fishing a lot lately, feel free to browse around our website and look at our huge photo album with over 30 pages of fantastic fishing pictures (bragging rights) of our wonderful clients with their prize catch. We are located online at www.BookMeACharter.com.

We Know/Go fishing!

The weather predictions for this week are wonderful for both inshore and offshore fishing with offshore seas predicted at 1-2 ft wave heights the entire week. The great news for you is we do have boats open and captains ready to go fishing. If you are close by and are feeling sick (with fishing fever)call us and we can make arrangements.

Let’s go fishing while the weather predictions are calm.

If you’re looking for experienced, family friendly, native guides give us a call 850-653-2622.

We’d love to take you fishing in our backyard!

Sandra Allen
    Book Me A Charter
    Apalachicola, FL
    850-653-2622

www.BookMeACharter.com
    email: info@BookMeACharter.com
    http://jerrylabella.com/discus/messages/6/7094.jpg

Merijo Attong (Merijo_attong) Guest

Default If you like snook fishing on t

If you like snook fishing on the flats now is the time to go, every day we have been catching fish, as some days are better than others. A great day has been catching 15 -20 fish sight fishing in less than a foot of water and bad days has been only 3-5 fish per day depending on the angler’s skill and weather. The size are averaging 26 to 28 inches and between 5-7 lbs but we are getting fish that go over slot size of 34 inches and around 12-16 lbs and have had some snook over 20 lbs. This has also been a fly fisherman’s dream with at least 10 shots at fish by 11 a.m. and generally 4-5 snook hooked up, again depending on angler’s skill and weather conditions.

Roger Lynn from Cheyenne Wyoming fished for snook on fly and got a Florida bay inshore flats slam with a 9 lb, 31 inch snook, a 7 lb redfish and a 21 inch trout by noon the first morning and multiple hookups on larger snook in the afternoon. Redfish on the other hand are a little slow to show up this time or year, normally they are all over the place, but never the less they are still around and should make a strong showing any day. The ones that have been showing have been good size. David Torbert and Mathew St. Germain both 13 years old fished the Lucerne- Gossman tournament with me, David catching a 27 inch Red and Mathew sight fished a 31.5 inch snook with other great catches in between and both very good anglers.

Tarpon are some days all over the place on the Ocean side of Elliot key down to Key Largo and some days when the weather has been a little eh… snotty, completely gone! Pods of tarpon 30-120 lbs are cruising the edges of the flats. These fish are responding well to fly’s, dark with low light and lighter color in clear conditions with good sun. A 10-12 weight rod 20 lb leader with a 60-80 fluorocarbon shock will do the trick. In Florida bay tarpon have been around the island motes. They are in between 5-30 lbs and are a sucker for a live hand-picked shrimp or a D.O.A. shrimp. I have also been seeing tarpon slowly showing up on the edges of the flats in Florida bay which means it is only a matter of time when they pour into the finger channels and ponds in the bay rolling and free jumping at first light.

This month I had the pleasure of Bill’s Boyce’s show IGFA Angler’s Digetst film there show to be aired in July. I had a wonderful time and would like to thank Jason Schratweiser and Mike Myatt of the I.GF.A., Bill Boyce host of the show the I.G.F.A. Anglers Digest, Dee Peralta and Richard Chudy both on the camera. That day we jumped 3 tarpon brought 1 to the boat caught numerous snook some on fly and Mike’s 2 nice sight fished reds on the flats. If you would like to see a sneak preview of the show please go to www.IGFAnglersdigest.com Behind the show and all of it’s organization was Merijo Attong and Jennifer Barber of Sportsman’s Addiction, thanks for all the help you two, you made it great!!!!

Biscayne bones are big and bad now that the schools are getting bigger as the water warms up. We are catching fish regularly in the 9-12 lb class on live shrimp #1 Owner hooks and 12 lb fluorocarbon leader this is also a great time for fly fisherman.

Permit is sometimes easy to find this time of year depending on the wind…. They are now pushing their way on the flats these guys are generally 20 lbs but we have caught them as large as 41 lbs last year on live crab! Till next time, when I have time to write.. Tight lines.

Capt. Jim Hale
    www.Canepolincharters.com
    786-255-1788

Captain Dave Hanson (Fishbuster) Guest

Default Monday, 4/23, the seas were st

Monday, 4/23, the seas were still rough, but a little calmer, and I fished with Sandy Hook, son Rusty, Rusty's young son Charlie, and a friend, Sam. Fishing in 33 feet out of New Pass with shrimp, we caught ten keeper lane snapper, grunts and porgies, and released gag grouper shorts and blue runners.
    http://jerrylabella.com/discus/messages/6/7048.jpg
    Tuesday, I headed out on a 260 degree heading from New Pass with Ron Musick, Dick Arnell, Justin Baker and friend Jim. We started a chum line and were bottom fishing with live shrimp in three to four foot seas. We started to catch some pretty nice yellowtail and mangrove snapper to 16 inches, along with a lot of porgies. Suddenly, one of the rods took off running, and we thought it was a bonito, a king mackerel or a shark. It spooled down to the bottom of the spool, and after three more long runs, we worked it back up to the boat to finally get a glimpse. When we saw its 3 foot length we figured it wasn't a bonito. Then we saw the black on its back and knew it was a blackfin tuna. I grabbed a hunk of squid to put on another pole, and tossed it out. We were still rejoicing over the first one when a second one the same size hit. So we got two of those, which are the first two I have caught in all my years of fishing. It was a very good morning (see photo.)

Wednesday morning I fished Estero Bay, in the area of Wiggins Pass, with Ron Constantini and Rick Staubach. We caught a keeper redfish and a nice 16 inch sheepshead, and released smaller sheepshead and cravalle jacks.

Thursday it was still kind of sloppy even close-in at the reefs off Bonita Beach. I fished with Frank Vayda, and friends. We caught fourteen Spanish mackerel to 24 inches—a barracuda in the area ate a couple of them. We also caught a keeper sheepshead and mangrove snapper. We released short grouper and a 40 inch lemon shark.

Harvey Cleland and friends Ed and Tim fished Estero Bay with me, in the Wiggins Pass area, on Friday morning. We fished with live shrimp until the tide quit moving, and caught four keeper sheepshead and keeper mangrove snapper. We released cravalle jacks.

I fished Estero Bay again Saturday morning with Terry Major and her friends, Carol, Cheryl and Rhonda. We caught a keeper sheepshead and mangrove snapper, and released a 20 inch snook.

Jerry LaBella (Admin) Guest

Default All I have to say is that we h

All I have to say is that we have LOTS of Redfish right now and Chris, Jason, Nathan & David all have some days open next week to take you sight fishing for them. Artie & Kim Turner caught (and released unharmed) 26 on light tackle with Tommy on Monday - this photo was taken Tuesday by Charlie Walter from Sheridan Wyoming of his daughter Liz while they were flyfishing with Capt. Jason.

Call me if you want to go fishing!

Kathy Robinson
    Robinson Brothers Guide Service
    118 Commerce St.
    Apalachicola, Florida 32320
    850-653-8896 850-653-7196 (cell)
    www.FloridaRedfish.com Robinson@Flaredfish.com

REALTOR - Robinson Real Estate Company
    www.RobinsonRealEstateCompany.com
    850-653-1653

Member:
    Apalachicola Bay Area Chamber of Commerce www.apalachicolabay.org
    Carrabelle Chamber of Commerce www.carrabelle.org
    Gulf County Chamber of Commerce www.gulfchamber.org
    Florida Guides Assn. www.Florida-Guides.com
    Florida Realtors Assn.
    http://jerrylabella.com/discus/messages/6/7032.jpg

Captain Dave Hanson (Fishbuster) Guest

Default Monday, 4/9, seas were predict

Monday, 4/9, seas were predicted at two to three feet offshore, but fishing even close-in at the reefs, it was much rougher than that, especially as the winds increased mid-morning. I fished with Carl and Susan baker, and daughter Anna. We caught a few keeper snapper and sheepshead, and released lots of smaller snapper, sheepshead, triggerfish and grouper. We also released lots of blue runners, and we were broken off twice by a couple of king mackerel.

I fished in 40 feet out of New Pass on Tuesday with Dick Timbers, John, Chris and Dan King, and Shane Gannon. We caught keeper lane snapper, whitebone porgies, and Spanish mackerel. We released a seven pound cravalle jack, along with gag and red grouper shorts and triggerfish.

Wednesday, I fished an inshore trip with Leeds Hutchinson, son John, and grandsons Tommy and Brandon. Fishing in the New Pass area of Estero Bay with live shrimp, we caught a 20 inch redfish, two snook to 20 inches, two sheepshead to 15 inches, and a 2 ½ pound cravalle jack. We released all but the redfish.

Thursday, I awoke to thunderstorms. Radar indicated a good amount of rain offshore. I advised my anglers to wait for a bit so I could better see how conditions would shape up. There was some clearing by about 9AM, and it might have given us a chance to get out to the reefs, but I surely couldn’t guarantee a rain-free trip in smooth waters. With 4 youngsters included in their party, they thought it best to scrap our fishing plans. Because of a long-weekend family event, I remained off the water for the next three days also.

I was hoping to fish offshore on Monday, 4/16. But the winds that blew before I left were only worse on my return. With gusts to 40 mph and seas offshore at 10-12 feet, I had no choice but to cancel Monday’s fishing trip.

Tuesday, my anglers said they wanted to give near-shore a try, despite predictions for increasing winds and seas. We headed out toward the reefs, and within thirty minutes we had taken a wave over the bow. Seas were 3-5 feet. We reversed course and headed back to shore. The winds have been relentless so far this month.

It finally calmed enough on Wednesday to get offshore. I fished out about 36 miles on a 250 heading from New Pass with Ron Musick and friend, Dick. We caught and released a five foot black-tip shark, and had what would have been three keeper red grouper, had the sharks not gotten all but the heads. We did manage some eatin' fish, though, including a 16 inch mangrove snapper, keeper lane and yellowtail snapper, and Spanish mackerel. We released red grouper shorts to 19 inches--the sharks didn't mess with those, but took all our keeper reds.

Thursday, predictions were for two to four foot seas, but the winds blew over twenty knots all morning and seas ranged from three to nearly six feet. I fished in 28-30 feet off Bonita Beach with Dr. Bob James, Bob James Jr., and Doug James. Fishing was tough in those seas, and we released a 21 inch gag grouper, a few grunts and porgies.

My Friday anglers were driving in from Sarasota, a couple of hours away, and with seas predicted to persist into Friday and winds still strong Thursday evening, I couldn’t guarantee good conditions, and we scrapped the trip.

Repetitious as it may be, the winds were blowing hard Saturday morning. My anglers took my suggestion to fish Estero Bay. Peter Richards and his three young children, Marc, Danielle and Isabelle, fished with live shrimp in the area of Wiggins Pass. The kids had plenty of action and counted sixteen hooked fish. Among those were four keeper mangrove snapper, a keeper sheepshead and a whiting. We released the rest of the catches, which included smaller sheepshead and a 13 inch trout.

The photo shown is of six-year-old angler Alex Goodall with a 15 inch sheepshead, caught on a recent inshore trip in Estero Bay.
    http://jerrylabella.com/discus/messages/6/6985.jpg

Capt Charlie Conner (Fishtales) Guest

Default April 20, 2007 May Fishing

April 20, 2007

May Fishing Forecast for the Treasure Coast

Inshore:

Finally, the windy months of March and April are almost behind us and we can look forward to the great fishing weather that May has to offer us on the Treasure Coast. Other than the usual windy days, it has been a pretty mild winter and spring has arrived. Look for warmer temperatures and a little less blustery days. As the water temperatures climb, the fishing will steadily improve on the river. It will provide fantastic mornings for top water and lazy afternoons to drift the flats. May is one of my favorite month on the water!

Redfish will be our main target throughout the month of May. The past several years have bought us schools of slot sized redfish along the Indian River. Most of the fish we have caught have been in the 18 to 30 inch range. They have been sunning on the flats and May gets their blood pumping and turns on the feeding. I always have three lures ready during May…..twitch baits, top water and soft shrimp baits. Gold spoons will also be a great addition to the arsenal when fishing for redfish. As the fish school up, look for them around the edges of the flats. Most of the river here on the Treasure Coast has been holding redfish and you should be able to find some on your favorite flats. I tend to enjoy the east side of the river, but we have found many on the west side as well. Bob from Jensen Beach caught a monster 36" redfish this week!

Snook fishing in the early mornings will bring some rod bending action as they head up on the flats for an early morning or late evening meal. Top water will always be one of the best choices in the shallows, with twitch baits being a close second. Docks will also hold snook lurking around for an easy meal. Live shrimp is hard to beat around the docks. In the inlet areas, try around the seawalls and bridges with live bait, feather jigs or deep diving plugs. I love early morning for great snook fishing opportunities! Don’t forget that snook season will close on May 31st and will re-open again on September 1st,

Trout will continue to feed on top water at first light and live shrimp on popping corks during the day. As the sun rises, they will head off the shallows to deeper water in the two to four foot range. We have had some nice gator trout of late and should see some still in the river in the early parts of May. I have had great success with jerk baits this year in place of live shrimp. Both sides of the river have been productive in early mornings. Winter fishing for trout has been good this year and spring should continue to give you some great action.

Bridges will hold the usual sheephead catch, while snapper will be moving into the river along with flounder. Jacks will be patrolling the areas and creating havoc all over the river. Beaches will produce whiting with still a few catches of Spanish mackerel and bluefish. Tarpon will begin their trek into the river and you can start looking for them in the St Lucie River, Big and Little Mud areas and into the channels of the river. May is a great month to fish the Treasure Coast……plan on a trip out on the river soon!

As always, remember, fishing is not just another hobby....it's an ADVENTURE!!

Good Fishing and Be Safe,
    Captain Charlie Conner
    www.fishtalescharter.com

email: captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com

772-284-3852

Capt Charlie Conner (Fishtales) Guest

Default April 12, 2007 Inshore:

April 12, 2007

Inshore:

Springtime weather has invaded the Treasure Coast, bringing warm temperatures, much needed rain and a few windy days this week. It was a great time to be fishing the area. A cool front went through over the weekend and cooled the water a little, but it warmed back up quick enough to keep the trout happy most days. We should continue to see nicer weather each week.

I had some very good anglers on board this week and we found trout most days. I had Adrian from Jensen Beach and his brother. They caught trout up to 24" this week. John and his dad, Bill were out with me and caught a good number of nice trout up to 28". We found most in two to four feet of water. Using live shrimp, jerk baits and twitch baits mostly this week, we fished most days north of the bridges in Fort Pierce. The east shore is still pretty clean on most of the river. We fished from the Moorings south. Look for grassy flats with sandy areas scattered around.

We found a number of redfish around the river and Mark Amorello boated a nice 22" redfish. They have been skittish of late, but the way Mark's redfish hit....they are getting more active. Look on the shallow flats during the heat of the day for them to be sunning and feeding themselves. We have found lots of bait on the flats. I have several reports of redfish caught on the east side from Bear Point south to the Power Plant.

Snook fishing has been mostly at night, but we are finding lots of them on the edges of the flats chasing bait. Weather and winds permitting, look around the docks early in the mornings also. Live baits have been working best and some of the night anglers are catching shorts, slots and a few oversized ones.

Bridges have been holding sheephead, sand perch and black drum. There have been catches of croakers, but I haven't had many reports of them as yet. Pompano turned on for some anglers along the beaches this week. I received a number of reports of nice pompano catches by those using shrimp or sand fleas in the surf. Bluefish, Spanish mackerel and jacks have been hanging around the inlet and surf. Grouper have been hitting around the turning basin for us a couple of days this week. Ladyfish and jacks are everywhere!

Tip of the Week: Size and bag limits on fish in our area have been set over the years to help keep our fish population healthy and increasing each year. Slot sizes on snook, trout and redfish are in place to keep the larger female fish out there to breed for the future generations of anglers. I had the misfortune of watching a family catch and kill a 40" snook and pretend to revive it until everyone had left. As I left, I watched them scurry to get it loaded and out of there before any law enforcement could have arrived. It was sad to see a beautiful specimen taken out of the spawning population.

As always, remember, fishing is not just another hobby....it's an ADVENTURE!!

Good Fishing and Be Safe,
    Captain Charlie Conner
    www.fishtalescharter.com

email: captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com

772-284-3852

Capt. Craig Korczynski (Phlats) Guest

Default Florida

Inshore Fishing Report April 11, 2007 Palm Beach / Jupiter

Well spring has arrived, bringing great inshore action with it. The Snook bite has been spectacular in both the Palm Beach and the Jupiter areas. The Snook have been hanging under docks, near seas walls and up under mangrove shorelines. The big Snook have been migrating out of the back rivers making there way towards the inlets. The average size Snook we have been catching is from 16” to 38”. The best baits for the Snook have been live sand perch and live finger mullet. Artificial lures work also but they have to be presented right. The outgoing tide has been the best tide to fish but as long as the water is moving there are Snook to be caught.

The Palm Beach area has been on fire lately holding huge Jacks in the 25-pound class and also producing some nice trout also. The Snapper have also been really thick around the sea walls and dock pilings. There have been a couple surprise catches of some small Gag grouper and Jewfish lately also.

The freshwater bite should pick up rapidly do to our low water levels and water temps on the rise. The Peacock bass bite has been ok but should start to get really hot as summer approaches. The largemouth bass bite has been steady and has produced some decent fish lately in the 5 to 6 pound class. Live shiners and storm baits produce the best bite.

Well that is the report for the past few weeks. If you would like to test your luck against a hard pulling Snook or any of the above mentioned species. Give Capt. Craig Korczynski a call 561-644-4371 or visit WWW.PhlatsInshoreFishing.com. Or email me at phlats1519@yahoo.com Remember The Snook Spawn is just a month away call now to make your reservations to hook into the Snook of a lifetime.