Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Guatemala

marlinkjs Guest

Default Guatemala November Fishing (and golf) Report

When you are thinking of golf destinations, Guatemala may not be the first that comes to mind.
    For a population of about 14 million living in a country roughly the size of Tennessee, golf remains largely an elitist sport, but that is starting to change. The country is home to five courses and to date has comfortably accommodated the country’s two thousand or so active players.

The most recent addition to this stable of International courses is La Reunion located just 11 miles outside the old capital and world heritage site of Antigua.

The course is based within the 1380—acres of a former coffee plantation and in the shadows of four towering volcanoes—Agua, Fuego, Acatenango, and Pacaya. It has been appropriately named “Fuego Maya” or Mayan Fire – and was designed by renowned course architect Pete Dye. The course is relatively long, although even an average golfer should be able to complete the round in under 4 hours.

Although lacking the links (excuse pun) to the Royal & Ancient, there are indigenous links to the ancient Mayan calendar, which consists of 20 months of 18 days each. The final 5 days of the lunar calendar are then consumed by “Wayeb” which is held as a sacred time for relaxation and contemplation for the coming journey or the following calendar – much as the golfers’ consider their return to the challenges of the course or their next tee time.

Despite its only now emerging golfing population, Guatemala is starting to display its talents on the International golf scene – the country recently qualifying for the first time ever in an International event with the success of two budding stars Pablo Acuña and Alejandro Villavicencio who will represent the country at the Omega Mission Hills World Cup to be held in China November 27-30 which has a prize of $5.5 million.

If you want to try your hand on this remarkable course perhaps as an “off” day from fishing in Guatemala, The GreatSailfishing Company is pleased to arrange tee times for you – and even has a selection of golf sets for you to choose from (it can be difficult to rent clubs in Guatemala), just ask and we will be happy to accommodate you !

The fishing this past week has ranged from outstanding to tough – as has the weather ! The storm that is now approaching the Gulf Coast has been busy pushing fronts across all of Central America – and Guatemala was quick to catch a cold ! Early in this past week we have been seeing days where 20-30 billfish raised was the norm – but as soon as the front and the weather came in, the seas built and unfortunately the fishing slowed. The Netland group saw decent fishing their first day, with a half dozen sailfish and a good sized Blue Marlin that took over two hours to bring to the boat for release.

Following days however brought ever increasing seas, and most boats stayed closer to shore – either splitting the day with some inshore fishing, or searching for Dorado and sailfish at about 25 miles.

The weather has now passed, and with the calmer seas the bait is now concentration again – so we are hopeful to see consistent fishing more on a par to the early part of last week than the latter days.

The winter almanac is forecasting the coldest winter in North America in a decade – so this is a great year to book in for a fishing trip to the calm waters and sunshine of Guatemala while we still have dates available ! Get our FREE Angling Guide to Guatemala

marlinkjs Guest

Default Guatemala report and FREE fishing guide

What Rainy Season ?

This Guatemala fishing report is for the week ending
    August 17th 2009 and is prepared by The Great Sailfishing Company
    operating out of the new Pez Vela Marina.

Guatemala is often called the land of the eternal spring – in fact it is the unofficial National Slogan, although for a while it became the formal footnote for the country – as from 1935 and continuing for the next forty years, it was used as the text in four languages for the cancelling of all stamps and postage coming in and leaving the country. This familiarity persists today, although it can be misleading.
    The term itself “Land of Eternal Spring” was first used to give the image of a country and countryside that was in perpetual bloom. The name however is a bit of a misnomer as In Guatemala there are two seasons, as is common in the climate of the northern tropics: the dry season and the rainy season. The longer season is the rainy season, which lasts from May through October. The rainiest months are usually June and September – which often means a pleasant interlude in August – with some great fishing !

The rains have raised the water levels in the rivers flowing down to the coast from the highlands, and have washed out a lot of the fallen branches and debris out to sea. This has provided excellent cover and perfect breeding cover for baitfish – which in turn has attracted predators. This is a great time of year to find lots of Dorado in Guatemala for exactly this reason – plenty of cover providing plenty of “targets” in the water to find the fish.

Most days over recent weeks, we have found almost as many Dorado as you would like within a few miles of the coast – and often these have been accompanied by good numbers of billfish.
    The “Summer” fishing so far has been remarkable steady and strong – raising high single digits (so 7-10) sailfish per day, but mostly close to shore, with good blue water being spotted some days as close as 3.5 miles from the dock.

Barry Jackson and Ron Corsan fished with us this last week and had what has become a “typical” days fishing for recent weeks – raising 5 sailfish and lots of Dorado (even had a Wahoo in the mix !). They both hail from Texas and are avid redfishermen –so sails and wahoo was a high speed change for them ! They are down in Guatemala helping out on a mission to support an orphanage, but managed to find the time to spend a day with us at the coast fishing – we sent them home with a five gallon bucket of fresh fish to share at their table.

If you are considering a trip to Guatemala, but are perhaps a little unsure about what to expect – we have the answer for you !
    We have compiled a 40 page eBook with our experience of fishing in Guatemala for the last eight seasons. There are 16 chapters full of tips and insights that will help you to plan and to make the trip as easy as possible – hopefully it contains all of the answers to your questions. You can get this COMPLETELY FREE by clicking here : http://www.greatsailfishing.com/Angl...ala_Offer.html

Now is the time to be booking for the coming season – especially if you are looking for the most popular times. . Please call us at 1-877-763-0851 or email me at kevin@GreatSailfishing.com

3. Default Guatemala Fishing With Strike Zone Charters

Fishing Report for Louisiana & Guatemala
    Venice and Guatemala Fishing Reports from last week::::

Venice: over night trip last Sunday/Monday , they wanted to stay close and not make the 100 mile run so we did what everyone else has been doing lately ---which is getting a limit of nice Red Snapper, a limit of AJ's, a mix of Groupers, Kings , Blackfin Tuna and of course Sharks. The action was non stop but no Yellowfin... Capt. Kevin Aderholdt had a day trip on the 55' with a good group out of New Orleans. They did the same with some 15 to 20 lb Snapper and the biggest was 32 lbs. Still Blue Water is off the map....Capt Kevin is out now on the 55' for a 24 hr trip...he will run 100+ miles and I will get you that report later today.

Guatemala: As I reported last week on Saturday one of the boats had 30 Sails and 22 Dorado's. Capt Edgar had to make a fun trip after he got that report so on Monday he and some of his friend to off on the Strike Zone and ventured out 8 miles to catch 10 Sail's and 33 Dorado's....He was fired up....We have some spots open for our August and September trips so give us a call and get your group together and let us show you our fishing operation in Guatemala. It is FIRST CLASS from start to finish at a price you can afford.

STRIKE ZONE CHARTERS LOUISIANA & GUATEMALA
    Over 20 years in the Charter Business

225~279~3800 OR Capt.. RANDY 985~966~2666

www.strikezonecharters.net

4. Default Louisiana offshore with STRIKE ZONE CHARTERS

Fishing Report for Louisiana & Guatemala
    Venice and Guatemala Fishing Reports from last week::::

Venice: over night trip last Sunday/Monday , they wanted to stay close and not make the 100 mile run so we did what everyone else has been doing lately ---which is getting a limit of nice Red Snapper, a limit of AJ's, a mix of Groupers, Kings , Blackfin Tuna and of course Sharks. The action was non stop but no Yellowfin... Capt. Kevin Aderholdt had a day trip on the 55' with a good group out of New Orleans. They did the same with some 15 to 20 lb Snapper and the biggest was 32 lbs. Still Blue Water is off the map....Capt Kevin is out now on the 55' for a 24 hr trip...he will run 100+ miles and I will get you that report later today.

Guatemala: As I reported last week on Saturday one of the boats had 30 Sails and 22 Dorado's. Capt Edgar had to make a fun trip after he got that report so on Monday he and some of his friend to off on the Strike Zone and ventured out 8 miles to catch 10 Sail's and 33 Dorado's....He was fired up....We have some spots open for our August and September trips so give us a call and get your group together and let us show you our fishing operation in Guatemala. It is FIRST CLASS from start to finish at a price you can afford.

Over 20 years in the Charter Business

225~279~3800 OR Capt.. RANDY 985~966~2666

marlinkjs Guest

Default Single Angler fishing in Guatemala

Greatsailfishing in Guatemala has launched a program to enable single anglers or small groups the opportunity to register and combine a trip with other similar minded anglers.

Frequently the cost of billfishing in Guatemala and other locales can become prohibitive when fishing alone. The only practical way to significantly reduce the individual cost is to find like minded fellow anglers to share a trip. This can be difficult, but Greatsailfishing is now trying to make it easy(er) – register for a trip and we will circulate dates that you can consider – if there is a match, we will attempt to “hook you up” with others and build a shared trip.

All anglers will benefit from their own bedroom (and usually a private bathroom) in one of our private villas. All meals, drinks and transfers are included.

For more and complete information visit :

http://www.greatsailfishing.com/en/g...g_sharing.html

6. Default Louisiana Strike Zone Charters Offshore Reports

I would like to share this post with you and give you some update fishing reports on Louisiana and Guatemala::::::

Ryan Dicharry "GUATEMALA with STRIKE ZONE" Baton Rouge, LA USA

Just got back last week from a trip of a lifetime. We chartered a Guatemala sail fishing trip with Captain Gary "Strike Zone Charters". Gary had been talking to me for several months about how great Guatemala was. We decided to go see what all the fuss was about.

All I can say is WOW.

We were treated like kings. We had our own private villa, cook, driver, and cleaning crew. After a long day of fishing we would be greeted with cocktails and finger food as soon as we arrived at our villa. After a relaxing dip in the pool we were summoned for our elegant meal. While we were fishing our maid even cleaned and folded our dirty clothes. (If I could only get my wife to do that).

About the fishing....

We knew up front that it is the slowest time of the year for sails but we managed to catch and release three. This was better then any boat in the marina. Gary always said the the original "Strike zone" raises bill fish. Well he made me a believer. The dorado were non stop. We ended up with 32.

Also included it the package was a night at the Casa Santo domingo in Antigua, Guatemala. Let me tell you that experience alone was worth the price of the whole trip. This is a 5 star hotel created in an old monastery. You have to see it to believe it.

Thanks again Gary.

Don't forget to sign me up for March 2010.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan..we got you on the books....

I just got a email from Capt. Edgar in Guatemala and one of the boats today had 30 Sails and over 20 Dorado's. He was going out on Monday for a fun trip with his family...he will have a report Monday night on his trip...

Venice, Louisiana:::::Thursday/ Friday ~~~Capt. Kevin Aderhold and Seth Holl had a great group of anglers from Baton Rouge on a 24 hr trip that end up being a 36 hr trip....They had to run OFF THE MAP but they found the fish...They had 8 Yellowfin ,over 30 Blackfin and a limit of Red Snappers. Capt Kevin said it was a good group of guys and they FUN TRIP.

I have this weekend open on the 55' because my wife had the boat booked for the Baton Rouge Ladies tournament....the tournament has been moved to August....Get a group and let Capt Kevin put you on some Yellowfin Action.

Give us a call for your next FISHING FIX...we have some dates open for Guatemala trips as well as some 24hr trips on the 55' and 39' luxury sportfishing yachts....

225~279~3800 OR CAPT. RANDY AT 985~966~2666

7. Default Guatemala Fishing With Strike Zone Charters

I would like to share this post with you and give you some update fishing reports on Louisiana and Guatemala::::::

Ryan Dicharry "GUATEMALA with STRIKE ZONE" Baton Rouge, LA USA

Just got back last week from a trip of a lifetime. We chartered a Guatemala sail fishing trip with Captain Gary "Strike Zone Charters". Gary had been talking to me for several months about how great Guatemala was. We decided to go see what all the fuss was about.

All I can say is WOW.

We were treated like kings. We had our own private villa, cook, driver, and cleaning crew. After a long day of fishing we would be greeted with cocktails and finger food as soon as we arrived at our villa. After a relaxing dip in the pool we were summoned for our elegant meal. While we were fishing our maid even cleaned and folded our dirty clothes. (If I could only get my wife to do that).

About the fishing....

We knew up front that it is the slowest time of the year for sails but we managed to catch and release three. This was better then any boat in the marina. Gary always said the the original "Strike zone" raises bill fish. Well he made me a believer. The dorado were non stop. We ended up with 32.

Also included it the package was a night at the Casa Santo domingo in Antigua, Guatemala. Let me tell you that experience alone was worth the price of the whole trip. This is a 5 star hotel created in an old monastery. You have to see it to believe it.

Thanks again Gary.

Don't forget to sign me up for March 2010.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan..we got you on the books....

I just got a email from Capt. Edgar in Guatemala and one of the boats today had 30 Sails and over 20 Dorado's. He was going out on Monday for a fun trip with his family...he will have a report Monday night on his trip...

Venice, Louisiana:::::Thursday/ Friday ~~~Capt. Kevin Aderhold and Seth Holl had a great group of anglers from Baton Rouge on a 24 hr trip that end up being a 36 hr trip....They had to run OFF THE MAP but they found the fish...They had 8 Yellowfin ,over 30 Blackfin and a limit of Red Snappers. Capt Kevin said it was a good group of guys and they FUN TRIP.

I have this weekend open on the 55' because my wife had the boat booked for the Baton Rouge Ladies tournament....the tournament has been moved to August....Get a group and let Capt Kevin put you on some Yellowfin Action.

Give us a call for your next FISHING FIX...we have some dates open for Guatemala trips as well as some 24hr trips on the 55' and 39' luxury sportfishing yachts....

225~279~3800 OR CAPT. RANDY AT 985~966~2666

marlinkjs Guest

Default Guatemala Fishing report May 10th 2009

We went fishing in Guatemala and (nearly) caught a submarine !!

May 10 2009 and is prepared by The Great Sailfishing Company

It is on days such as we have endured recently that we are thankful for not only moderately fast (22knots +) boats, but also for the calm seas and heavy hull that sometimes are able to make the trek out 50 miles to decent blue water seem like an extension of the comfortable queen sized beds we abandoned at the villa not more than an hour before.
    With moon come the currents. Sometimes they work for you, often they conspire to push the blue water out almost beyond reasonable reach. We tried lines in our first day out at just 20 miles, although the water was more grey than blue (at least not green !). The fishing could best be described as slow – a couple of raises and half-hearted bites from sailfish and one to the stern; time to get on the radio and check the scorecard with the other half of the team that went out another 20 miles or so.
    By all accounts they were doing slightly better, but not really a strong enough bite to warrant another hour (each way) run and then have one a couple of hours decent trolling time when we got there. Seemed like a much more sensible plan was to switch some small feathers and plastics into the spread in the hope of catching some dinner for the evening (or the next few evenings !)

It’s amazing sometimes how just a tiny blemish on the vast ocean is enough to attract large predators – when I saw the captain idly troll by a piece of wood that couldn’t have been more than 2feet long, the reaction was immediate. Out from somewhere deep below (or at least deep enough that my Costas couldn’t penetrate to), the big bull dolphin charged the ballyhoo on the long rigger and we hooked up to what turned out to be a 38lb bull Dorado. No more worries about dinner for the rest of the week then.

The next morning we made a quick decision to be patient – and if running 50 miles was what it took to raise fish, that is what we were going to do. Maybe by the time we got back to the dock, fuel prices would have come down………

Sure enough it took 47 miles under the hull of the Bertram before we found deep blue water and we slowed to trolling speed and the riggers went out.
    I’d like to report that we were appropriately rewarded by nonstop action for our efforts – but by Guatemala standards, we had a lot of “beer time”…….which is ok in the afternoon, but Gallo with cornflakes just doesn’t cut it. The bite was certainly better and consistent – we and other boats were consistently raising double digit sailfish with the odd Blue (and Black) marlin thrown in.
    We tried different ranges with groups over the next few days, and the story (at least) was consistent; the further out, the better the bite. One day the “Reel Diver” ventured out nearly 60 miles in the hope of “fishgold”, and found good action. Other boats from the fleet followed her out, but didn’t find much to report until rendezvous. Late morning the (small) fleet was buzzed for about an hour by a US Coastguard C130. We have experienced this before when we have been moving boats up the Pacific Coast for relocation – I guess anything moving out there becomes a “target of interest” until demonstrated otherwise.
    Reading up on it later in the week, I came across very recent articles that recounted stories and reports of “narco-subs” having been spotted and in some cases apprehended by the Coasties. Coming up from Columbia en route to San Diego or Mexico, these guys are now travelling in “home grown” submarines using bales for ballast and hope for navigation. While reports mostly place them 300+ miles off the coast of Guatemala (look at the geography when you join a straight line !), it is understandable that the C130 would be interested in anything that moved (or not) en route to a patrol area off Panama and Costa Rica.

We only came back with a couple of flags flying and some more good sized Dorado in the cooler. Works for me every time !

Read our latest blog entry here with more about the fishing for submarines

We are still fishing hard, but have availability going forward – so if you are considering a trip, now is a great time to go. Please call us at 1-877-763-0851 or email me at kevin@GreatSailfishing.com

Our Favorite Fishing Quote for the week:

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~ Doug Larson

Les, Carlos, Kevin and Jim
    The GreatSailfishing Company

Contact us at:

enquiries@greatsailfishing.com

Or to register for our weekly fishing report and other
    > information please click here:

> http://www.greatsailfishing.com/en/register.html

Default Getting better! Casa Vieja Lodge Report

Getting Better
    March 24-26th

Fished my good friend Jake Jordan and some friends

. We raised a good amount but they didn't want to tease. This happens when there's to much bait, but the good news is after the bait shows up here comes the sails. In the 3 days we raised 45 had 15 bites and caught 8

March 27th. -30th.

Like i said about the bait first and then comes the fish. We raised 80 but they were biting funny again I blame that on to much food. We had 71 bites and released 39. I expect the bite to get better and better, so if you can get away in April I still have some time open. You can get some days by going thru South Fishing or thru Casa Veija Lodge. Good Luck and Good Fishing Ron Finest Kind

Casa Vieja Lodge

Guatemala www.CasaViejaLodge.com

(866) 846-9121 123 N Krome Ave Suite 200 Homestead Florida 33030

mj@casaviejalodge.com

marlinkjs Guest

Default Guatemala Fishing report April 2nd 2009

April 2nd 2009 and is prepared by The Great Sailfishing Company

Easter is a very important time all over the world, but nowhere more so than in Guatemala. Most catholic, and in particular Spanish speaking countries regard this as the most important date on the calendar.
    In the city of Antigua Guatemala however, this is taken to a whole new level.

Each Sunday of Lent sees the old city come alive with processions and homage to the Virgin Mary and Jesus of Nazareth. This builds until we reach “Semana Santa” or Holy Week – when there starts a sequence of processions on Palm Sunday and continues through the week until Good Friday and on to Easter Sunday itself. Each of these marches becomes more spectacular leading up to Easter Sunday : floats (“Andas”) depicting the crucifixion weighing up to 7000 lbs are carried on the shoulders of up to 100 “Curcuruchas” bearing the weight in their robes which start as purple on Palm Sunday – to black on Good Friday.
    This unique series of processionals however is probably most famous for the “alfombras” or literally “carpets” of flowers that are laid out on the cobble stone streets for the participants at first to skirt around – but then to trample as the andas pass over them. The most spectacular are the alfombras along Antigua’s streets, meticulously designed and, ideally, completed just before the Good Friday procession begins. Sand or sawdust is generally used to level the cobblestone roadway. Sawdust is then collected and dyed in different colors. Favorite colors are purple, green, blue, red, yellow and black. Flowers such as bougainvillea, chrysanthemums, carnations, roses and other native plants and pine needles are also used.

It is almost impossible to get accommodation for this period in Antigua itself less than a year in advance, so if you want to consider mixing this spectacle with a fishing trip to Guatemala, we advise to really consider booking now ! Antigua is (literally “antigua”) the old capital of Guatemala (read more about it on our blog here), and makes an easy day trip from the coast and a relaxing layday from fishing.

Easter is relatively early this year – which means some of our groups have been able to successfully combine Holy Week with some spectacular fishing. While this season has many times been characterized as “mixed” given the unusually volatile weather patterns and the blue water flows that follow it – this last few weeks has really settled down into a steady and consistent pattern that makes for stress-free fishing (for the anglers that is !).
    Our boats have been finding plenty of bait pods within 30 miles of the marina, each pod surrounded by voracious sailfish. There have been sufficient numbers of these large schools spread over a line that stretched for over 15 miles, that the fleet have largely been fishing (and catching) out of sight of each other – but within safety range.
    Each boat has been raising 15-20 sailfish per day in comfortable sunny weather and calm seas – with strong catch&release rates. There are still plenty of good size Blue Marlin being caught in the 300-600lb class – as well as (somewhat unusually for this early in the year) a lot of “gaffer” dolphin.

We are still fishing hard, but have availability going forward – so if you are considering a trip, now is a great time to go. Please call us at 1-877-763-0851 or email me at kevin@GreatSailfishing.com

If you would like to consider seeing some of the spectacle talked about above – really do think about contacting us NOW, as after Easter will likely be too late to reserve prime spots.

Our Favorite Fishing Quote for the week:

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming."

~ John Steinbeck

Les, Carlos, Kevin and Jim
    The GreatSailfishing Company

Contact us at:

enquiries@greatsailfishing.com

or to register for our weekly fishing report and other
    > information please click here :

> http://www.greatsailfishing.com/en/register.html