Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Guatemala

Default Guatemala Sailfish school March 24-27

Guatemala Sailfish School Report
    March 24, & 25 2009

March 24, 2009:

Today Lucien Lafond from Islamorada FL and Normandy France, fished aboard "Finest Kind " with captain Ron Hamlin while Danny Cline and I fished with captain Chris Sheeder aboard "Rum Line". After a great breakfast at Casa Vieja Lodge we boarded the van , which was full of other anglers who were staying at the sold out CVL for the short two minute ride to the Marina Pez Viela. We left the marina at 6:45 in sunny calm conditions for the 50 minute run to where we began fishing. The Finest Kind had a slow day with Lucien only having shots at 4 total sailfish all day. Mean while aboard Rum Line Danny and I had a little better fishing, we raised 20 sailfish, teased 10 in to bite the fly, and then we caught seven sailfish on fly including a double header of two fish in the 120 pound range.

March 25, 2009:

Today we switched boas and crews, Lucien fished with captain Chris Sheeder aboard "Rum Line" while Danny and I fished with captain Ron aboard "Finest Kind". Fishing conditions were good with calm seas and sunny skies, and some aggressive big sailfish. Lucien caught two really large sailfish (well over 110 pounds) on 20 pound tippet and then he was treated to a very special thing. Lucien Lafond, sailfish school student, caught and released a 250 + pound Blue Marlin, which just happened to be the 1,000th Blue marlin caught in Captain Chris Sheeder's long career. Congratulations to Lucien and Chris, great job.

Mean while aboard Finest Kind with Captain Ron Hamlin, Danny and I caught 5 sailfish on fly from 6 bites. It was great fishing with captain Ron again for the first time in about 10 years, I am very happy that Ron is now fishing with the Casa Vieja Team, It is great fishing with my old friend. Tomorrow James Garrity from Alaska and my friend Jerry Gibbs will begin fishing another sailfish school, stay tuned for more reports and pictures. Wish you were here, I love this job!

Regards:

Jake

March 26, & 27 2009
    Greetings from Casa Vieja Lodge, Guatemala:
    March 24, 2009:
    James Garrity from Anchorage Alaska as well as Jerry Gibbs (retired fishing editor of Outdoor Life magazine) from Maine, are here for the next 3 days to attend my Sailfish School. We fished aboard the Casa Vieja Lodge fleet vessel 'Finest Kind" with captain Ron Hamlin. After an hour and fifteen minute run out we began pulling teasers as we headed further off shore. Jerry caught the first two sailfish before 10:00 AM and posed for a Guatemala Lap Dance with his first Sailfish. Then around mid day James caught and released the second sailfish to bite his fly. Late in the afternoon Jerry caught and released our fourth Sailfish of the day. Fishing was slow but steady, we got 5 bites from 10 raised fish and released a total of 4 sailfish on fly. We had a lot of fun fishing with captain Ron, tomorrow we will fish aboard Rum Line with captain Chris Sheeder.
    March 27, 2009:
    Today Jerry, James, and I left the dock aboard Rum Line with captain Chris at the helm, we ran for an hour and a half before putting out the teasers ans looking for sailfish. The first fish of the day was a hot fish caught by James, he fought that 100 pound plus fish in and got his first Guatemalan lap dance. I then caught a large and red hot lit up sailfish on fly before fishing just died. We fished fo r4 hours before we raised our next fish, a hot big, lit up fish which put on a great show for James before being released. Jerry Gibbs then caught a nice fish and then I got another monster just before heading to the dock and back to The Casa Vieja Lodge for a swim in the pool and a great meal. Today we raised 10 sailfish got 6 bites, and released 5 sailfish on fly. I love my job, more reports to follow.
    Regards:
    Jake

Captain Jake Jordan
    Jake Jordan's Fishing Adventures
    PO Box 309 (US Mail)
    223 Lemonwood Drive (Freight)
    Havelock NC 28532
    252-444-3308 Home/Office
    305-872-6060 Cell

Default another Guatemala Fishing Report from Casa Vieja

"A Brief Casa Vieja- Guatemalan fishing report from Captains, Anglers, and
    other unreliable sources"

March 19-23 Anthony Michael from Little Rock, Arkansas, Lee Sprinkle, from
    San Diego, California. Fishing aboard the Rum Line with Capt. Chris Sheeder.
    Fishing the fly raised 84 had 30 bites and released 16.
    Anthony also got to Release a blue marlin around 400# on 50 # stand up.

Paco Suarez and his wife Maria Suarez from Puerto Rico, Maria came along to
    learn how to hook her own fish, Chris says on day one she started, by day
    two she had it and never looked back. They fished conventional and raised 53
    had 45 bites and released 26 sails. Paco also released one blue on stand up
    around 200#s.

3-14 through 3-17 finds Kirk and Kara Weisman fishing the Fly aboard the
    Intensity with captain Mike Sheeder. The group raised 85 sails, had 36
    bites on the fly, and released 17 on the long wand.

3-18 through 3-20 finds Carlos Ortiz, Francisco Ortiz, Leonel and David Birt
    from Puerto Rico aboard the Intensity . The group raised 64 sails, had 47
    bites, and released 25 sails on the fly. The group also raised 3 blues, had
    2 bites, and unfortunately did not release one.

March 18-19 finds Doug Walters, Joseph W. Allbritton, Joe M. Rabello, and
    Bill Pino, from Stuart, Florida, fishing aboard the Canaso with Capt. Chico
    Alveranga. The group raised 36 sails, had 29 bites, and released 15 on 20#
    standup.

March 15-17 Aboard the Canaso Finds Al Cullere, Dennis Longstreet, and Bob
    Jones fishing with the Alveranga Brothers. The group. Raised 64, had 52
    bites, and Released 29 sails.

March 15-17. We have the Longstreet group aboard the "Twenty" with Captain
    Jason Brice. The group raised 61 sails had 49 Bites and released 24 sails on
    there 3 day trip.

March 20-21 we have the Serodino group aboard the "Twenty" the raised 20
    fish , had 16 bites, and released 14 fish.

March 7-9. Mr Jim Stob, David Smith, Randi Liswer, and Joe Penar fishing
    aboard the "Release" with Capt Niko Melendrez. The group raised 47 sails,
    had 40 bites and released 26 sails. The group also released a nice Blue
    marlin.

March 10-12. We find Michael Bohlson, Kurt Bohlson, and Seam Darbyshire.
    Aboard the" Release" the guys raised 50 sails, had 35 bites on the Fly, and
    Released 24 sails on the fly. Congradulations, Not a bad three days on the
    fly.

March 14-17. I had the pleasure of fishing with long time client and friend,
    Mr. Nat Harris. We are fishing aboard the "Afinity" a 37ft" Knowles, while
    waiting for the delivery of the " Pelagian".
    Nat was able to release a number of sails on the fly but the highlight of
    the trip was a bite from an estimated 400 pound Blue Marlin that ate the fly
    in spectacular fashion. We ended up jumping the fish off, but reieved an
    incredible visual display for the little time we had the fished hooked.
    Definately the stuff you come to see and experience.

March 21-23. I had the pleasure return clients who I had not seen since my
    days on the "Intensity" back in 2002. Dr. Robert Harlin, his" three" sons,
    Robert Jr, Daniel Harlin, and Capt. Ken Carter.
    The guys raised 43 sails in there 3 days, had 33 bites and Released 21
    sails. We also raised 3 blues had 3 bites and unfortunately did not catch
    one.

Captain Erik Lorentzen
    "Pelagian"
    Casa Vieja Lodge, Guatemala

Default Casa Vieja lodge fishing report

Just a Quickie

Last 6 days things are looking up. Had some good anglers, hooking there own fish. The Disbury group caught 36 out of 47 bites in 3 days.

Last 3 days with the Shiffrerderker, bunch we had 30 bites and released 23. We also raised 2 Marlin one bite the other didn't, we missed the one that did. The water is getting better and I expect it to go off any day.Got a lot of things to do as we're fishing the next 7 days.

Work's coming right along on the 43 Merritt, so sometime this summer I'll be running a new Captain Hook, thats right getting my name back. Still have a few days in April and some time in May, if you can make it contact Casa Vieja Lodge.

I see my name is still in some add's for the lodge I used to be with, It has been sold and has new owners. That's about all the info I can give you at this time.

Good Luck and Good Fishing Ron Finest Kind

Casa Vieja Lodge

Guatemala www.CasaViejaLodge.com

(866) 846-9121 123 N Krome Ave Suite 200 Homestead Florida 33030

mj@casaviejalodge.com

Default Guatemala Sailfish school March 21-23

Guatemala Sailfish School Report
    March 21, 22, 23, 2009

March 20 I took a day off and rested while getting ready for 10 days of fly fishing for sailfish. When the boats came in after five PM I spoke with quite a few Casa Vieja Lodge clients regarding their day of fishing. The boats fishing with bait caught between 5 and 17 sailfish and several Blue Marlin were caught by the fleet.
    I was planning to fish my first 3 days (March 21, 22, 23) aboard Intensity with Captain Mike Sheeder and Flaco, he had been fly fishing with a good client for the previous 3 days and did well. On March 20 they caught 10 sailfish on fly.
    March 21: Today is the first day of a sailfish school with Lucien LaFond from Islamorada FL and France, along with my friend Danny Cline from West Virginia.
    We fished aboard Intensity with Captain Mike Sheeder today, we were fishing 7 miles off of the beach in calm seas with sunny skies. The fishing was slow today, we raised 10 sailfish to the teasers, 4 of which teased to the boat, two ate the fly with DAnny loosing the first one about 6 foot from landing it. The second bite was during my time up, that 90 pound Sailfish ate the ping Cam Sigler fly and 1 minutes later I released that tagged sailfish. Score for today two bites one caught sailfish, a slow day.
    Danny Cline Jumped first fish of the day

March 22, 2009: Today Lucien, Danny, and I left the dock aboard Intensity at 7:00 AM and headed south east for 45 minutes where captain Mike spotted several free jumpers in the area. Lucien caught the first sailfish on fly, an 85 pounder which we tagged and then the hook came out before I got a picture for Lucien. We had raised 12 fish before noon with Danny catching one and then each of us missed a bite before Lucien caught a red hot 60 pounder, his second ever PAcific Sailfish on fly. The final score today was 17 sailfish raised, seven teased in and bit the fly, with three tagged and released for the day. These sailfish are here but they are very finickey, one boat caught 17 on bait today, I am complaining about only catching 3 sailfish on fly today. Any place else in the world this would have been a great day of fly fishing.
    Lucien LaFond Guatemala Lap Dance

March 23, 2009: Today we left the dock at 6:45 am and headed 12 miles off shore in search of the elusive non finicky sailfish which would eat our flies. Flaco and Puse, our mates aboard intensity put out the teasers, and we raised a sailfish right away. Danny hooked, fought, landed, and tagged the first fish. Later in the day after lots of fish which would not bite, Danny caught his second fish and then an hour later Lucien caught the third fish of the day. 30 minutes before a double header teased up and I got a nice 100 pounder to eat my fly, Danny tried to hook the other fish to no avail and then I wound in, tagged, caught and released this fourth fish of the day from 20 fish raised and 6 bites. Still seems slow to me but it is getting better each day. For the first 3 days were rleased 8 sailfish from fifteen bites. Tomorrow Licien will fish alone with Captain Ron Hamlin aboard "Finest Kind" while Danny and I will fish with Captain Chris Sheeder aboard "Rum Line". The following day we will switch boats and try again. I am sure that the fishing is improving and we are getting ready for some awesome fly fishing for sailfish here at Casa Vieja Lodge. More Reports to follow, wish you were here.

By the way, there is a fly fishing tournament coming up in April here at Casa Vieja Lodge. This will be the Stu Apte annual fly tournament which used to be held in Costa Rica and I am sure it will be a very good event. For more information check out this website. I just got this E-mail from the folks at South Fishing who are hosting the event. If you have any interest contact them directly or call Casa Vieja Lodge. We need four anglers, fishing two to a boat with one observer. We have the observers covered. The rate is $4,775 per angler for 5 nts/4 days of fishing (one pre-fishing day and three days tournament angling). Now if they don’t want to pre-fish, the rate is $3,855 each. All the details are on the webpage: www.stuapteflytournament.com

Casa Vieja Lodge

Guatemala www.CasaViejaLodge.com

(866) 846-9121 123 N Krome Ave Suite 200 Homestead Florida 33030

mj@casaviejalodge.com

Default Greetings fron Casa Vieja Lodge

Guatemala Fishing Report

March 19, 2009

I arrived at the Guatemala City airport at 1:00 PM and was met by the drivers from Casa Vieja Lodge who had 3 vans parked at the airport waiting to pick up a family group of 13, another group of 4 anglers from NJ, and myself. We had a nice hour and a half drive down from Guatemala City where the temperature was 72 degrees through the coastal plane to the Casa Vieja Lodge where it was sunny & calm, with the air temperature of 84 degrees.

After a swim in the pool, a cocktail, and some great snacks I took a nap had a shower and then had my dinner with Captain Chip Shafer in the awesome Casa Vieja restaurant . Every seat in the place was full with a full house croud which gave me a chance to interview some of the anglers who had fished yesterday and today. It seems that the fishing has been on and off with every boat catching some Sailfish. The low boat today released 4 sailfish and the top boat caught 14, Yesterday one boat caught 10 on fly, and one boat today landed 7 sailfish and a Blue Marlin.

Today, March 20 the whole fleet is fishing so I can get a more specific report out tonight. My Sailfish School clients, Lucien La Fond and Danny Cline will arrive later today and we fill be fishing together for the next 5 days. After that Jim Garrity and Jerry Gibbs will join me for three more days of catching sailfish on fly here in paradise. On March 28 my friend Captain Brian Horsley will arrive with a hosted group of fly anglers who will fly fish for sailfish aboard Rum Line and Intensity on March 29, 30 , and 31.

I will try to get as many fishing reports and pictures from Casa Vieja Lodge in Guatemala as possible during the next 12 days. Stay tuned for more fishing reports, and then My Tarpon reports will begin around April 15th from the Florida Keys. As usual, I love my job, wish you were here with me.

Regards:

Jake

Captain Jake Jordan
    Jake Jordan's Fishing Adventures
    PO Box 309 (US Mail)
    223 Lemonwood Drive (Freight)
    Havelock NC 28532
    252-444-3308 Home/Office
    305-872-6060 Cell
    www.jakejordan.com

marlinkjs Guest

Default Guatemala Fishing report March 17th 2009 – Paddy’s Day

It may be St. Patricks Day…………

This Guatemala fishing report is for the week ending
    March 17th 2009 and is prepared by The Great Sailfishing Company
    operating out of the new Pez Vela Marina.

Yes – it may be Saint Patrick’s Day – but we are pleased to report that the water in Guatemala is not green!

We reported last week how a stream of weather fronts had pushed green water close into shore, which had been causing us some difficulties in finding consistent concentrations of bait and the predators that feed on them. Since then, the weather has been kind to us, and we have had consistent warm days and calm seas that have enabled the blue water to push in and drive that nasty colder green water to one side.

If you take a look at the geography of the region, it is easy to see how the currents coming down from Mexico collide with the coastline and reflect back to form huge eddies that attract and hold large quantities of bait. These fast moving currents mean that water conditions – in particular the location of blue water – can change dramatically in as little as 48 hrs…..so even when the fishing has been tough going, as it was towards the end of last month, there is always hope that tomorrow could be an angling bonanza !

We have had several groups visiting us this past couple of weeks from the Northern States – glad to be out of the cold and the snow for a week or so – basking in the sunshine. An opportunity to rid the system of those winter bugs and microbes that linger far too long and cause the sniffling and blocked up noses !
    I read this past week with some envy that Great White Sharks are about the healthiest animals on the planet – they have natural antibodies that make them immune to just about every bacterium known to science, they are also immune to cancer ! Seems to me that they should go and live in North Dakota for a while and see how they get on instead !

The fishing for these groups has been consistent at about 30 miles from the dock, and have been raising in the high teens of billfish per boat per day. Still a lot of Blue Marlin around – which is great news, as we usually anticipate if anything, the Marlin bite to pick up from here at this time of the season.

Feel free to give your opinion on our blog : http://www.greatsailfishing.com/Fishing_Guatemala/

The boats are ready, the crews are primed – come down and enjoy
    the season fishing with http://www.greatsailfishing.com/
    We are booking strongly already for some of the popular dates this season, so don’t wait, give us a call
    at 1 877 763 0851or send us an email (below) to check on dates – we would look forward to welcoming you to
    some of the finest fishing anywhere.

Our Favorite Fishing Quote for the week:

" Even a fish wouldn’t get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

~ Unknown

Les, Carlos, Kevin and Jim
    The GreatSailfishing Company

Contact us at:

enquiries@greatsailfishing.com

or to register for our weekly fishing report and other
    > information please click here :

> http://www.greatsailfishing.com/en/register.html

marlinkjs Guest

Default Guatemala Fishing report March 6th 2009

Telling it like it is : Sailfish fishing in Guatemala

This Guatemala fishing report is for the week ending
    March 6th 2009 and is prepared by The Great Sailfishing Company
    operating out of the new Pez Vela Marina.

Full moon, New moon – doesn’t seem to make much difference this year to the predictability of the fishing down here in Guatemala. Typically the strong pull of the changing moon drives rips and currents that tend to stir up activity. We wrote about this in our blog recently – everyone has an opinion, why don’t you share yours ? The new moon is generally favoured by anglers – although the research cited in our blog post somewhat disputes that………what is indisputable was that there was a new moon, and we (and our clients Doug Scout and party) were keen to watch the fishing improve as we approached.

The sailfish have been slow by Guatemala standards during the latter part of February – with boats averaging low single digits each day. We would normally expect many more than that, but we have been affected by waves of weather fronts, and probably more importantly waves (or currents) of green water that have pshed in.
    Within these fronts of green water can be found small (2-3 miles wide) eddies of good blue water close it, and inside these eddies can be found bait and billfish…….so the decision to be made : search around close(r) to shore for eddies, or run far off (50+ miles) and keep going until good blue water is found.

For the most part the fleet has opted for the former for 2 reasons :

a) Travel time : with most boats running at a comfortable cruise of 22/23 knots, it is a 2+ hour run out to find blue water (with no guarantees when you get there). In general clients don’t mind the run out, but then comes the realization of the shorter time available for “lines in”…..plus now there is the 2+ hour run back to port. Worthwhile if the fishing has been outstanding, but dubious otherwise. Hero or Zero ??
    b) When the bulk of the fleet adopts the same strategy of searching in the 15-35 mile band for eddies of blue water (and fish active within those eddies), with good communication, consistency can be found for all boats as information is shared. One of the benefits of 100% catch and release fishery is that there is no competition (other than friendly) for the fish – so no incentive not to share current information. In fact the opposite is true, as it is positive seamanship to have “friendly” vessels within 20 minute cruise.
    We tried both approaches with the Scout party, and earlier with Msr Montupet and group – but didn’t see significantly different results – so in general opted for the “search pattern” approach.
    Some good fish were found – the marginal numbers of sailfish being somewhat mitigated by the size (many well over 100lbs), and by the numbers of Blue Marlin caught and successfully released.

What we really need however is a return to strong and predictable numbers that Guatemala is famous for. While reporting this, I am pleased to report that the last week has seen a return to this, and a constant improvement to at least double digits per day. Our hope (and expectation !) is that things continue to improve, or at least stay in this range for the remainder of the season……so book those flights !!

Feel free to give your opinion on our blog : http://www.greatsailfishing.com/Fishing_Guatemala/

The boats are ready, the crews are primed – come down and enjoy
    the season fishing with http://www.greatsailfishing.com/
    We are booking strongly already for some of the popular dates this season, so don’t wait, give us a call
    at 1 877 763 0851or send us an email (below) to check on dates – we would look forward to welcoming you to
    some of the finest fishing anywhere.

Our Favorite Fishing Quote for the week:

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

~ Unknown

Les, Carlos, Kevin and Jim
    The GreatSailfishing Company

Contact us at:

enquiries@greatsailfishing.com

or to register for our weekly fishing report and other
    > information please click here :

> http://www.greatsailfishing.com/en/register.html

Default Tuna Town Casa Vieja Lodge

Discover Tuna Town

Recently, Captain Chris Sheeder and the crew of the Rum Line ran an exploratory overnight trip 100 miles offshore in search of Marlin and Big Yellowfin Tuna. What they found were huge schools of Tuna and lots of sailfish – seems you just can’t get away from them in Guatemala! Although they didn’t raise any Marlin they are undoubtedly there. While they did catch a few Tunas in the 150+ class, they lost several larger fish.

We are looking for groups of anglers that want to help us explore further the potential of this fishery. Between now and June 15th we are offering an “Explorer’s Special” for 4 anglers. The trip consists of all our normal amenities Casa Vieja Lodge is famous for. We meet you at the airport in Guatemala City and take you to Casa Vieja Lodge. The next morning your private boat leaves the dock at 7am. After catching bait you’re on your way to Tuna Town! Sushi for dinner? You will be back to the dock the following afternoon, hopefully unloading Tunas! The next day is yours to relax. Spend the day at the pool, get a massage and relax. The fourth day will be aboard one of our classic 37 foot gameboats, catching Guatemala’s famous sailfish on light tackle. The final day you will be taken to the airport with stories to tell everyone at home. The cost of this opportunity is only $2,220.00 pp.

Don’t miss your chance to be among the first at Casa Vieja Lodge for this great adventure. For a world class sporting vacation, call the office at (866) 846-9121 today for availability.

Discover Tuna Town

Recently, Captain Chris Sheeder and the crew of the Rum Line ran an exploratory overnight trip 100 miles offshore in search of Marlin and Big Yellowfin Tuna. What they found were huge schools of Tuna and lots of sailfish – seems you just can’t get away from them in Guatemala! Although they didn’t raise any Marlin they are undoubtedly there. While they did catch a few Tunas in the 150+ class, they lost several larger fish.

We are looking for groups of anglers that want to help us explore further the potential of this fishery. Between now and June 15th we are offering an “Explorer’s Special” for 4 anglers. The trip consists of all our normal amenities Casa Vieja Lodge is famous for. We meet you at the airport in Guatemala City and take you to Casa Vieja Lodge. The next morning your private boat leaves the dock at 7am. After catching bait you’re on your way to Tuna Town! Sushi for dinner? You will be back to the dock the following afternoon, hopefully unloading Tunas! The next day is yours to relax. Spend the day at the pool, get a massage and relax. The fourth day will be aboard one of our classic 37 foot gameboats, catching Guatemala’s famous sailfish on light tackle. The final day you will be taken to the airport with stories to tell everyone at home. The cost of this opportunity is only $2,220.00 pp.

Don’t miss your chance to be among the first at Casa Vieja Lodge for this great adventure. For a world class sporting vacation, call the office at (866) 846-9121 today for availability.

Casa Vieja's Summer Getaways

Take advantage of our summer rates starting in July and running through October. While our typical packages are 5 days, 4 nights and 3 days of fishing on one of our classic boats; we can customize an itinerary just for you.

What a great opportunity to test out the waters that have been written about in every major publication! Fish with some of the world’s the top Captains and crews in. Sharpen your skills or catch your first Marlin.

Last summer’s Blue Marlin bite was “RED HOT”. The summer season can be a little rainy at times, but you’ll still have lots of shots at Sails and Marlin. Of course the ever-present Dorado in the 30 – 40 pound class are around every day and the Yellowfin Tunas are making their journey thru the area.

All the amenities of the world class Casa Vieja Lodge coupled with the world’s finest gameboats = great summertime fishing. The price is right, so take the whole family. Kids 14 and under stay, eat and fish for free when accompanied by a parent.

We still have boats available for the next couple weeks. You can still come on down for your trip of a lifetime. Remember that last year’s Marlin run heated up in April and was in full swing by May! Don’t miss your chance to be at Casa Vieja Lodge for a world class sporting vacation, call the office at (866) 846-9121 today for availability.